Why does rangers spear auto attack have more mechanics than warriors spear auto attack

Wolf.3490

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1104810196896845864/1256032094941872250/Screenshot_2024-06-28_012811.png?ex=667f4a8b&is=667df90b&hm=5a6cea6758981d86d7fa3468b175e58df3f6be974f34582711a76f2a6a1c86a5&

Rangers spear has both a melee component and a ranged component system that dynamically shifts based on range,it also leaves conditions that are appropriate to it and feeds into its other elite specs systems correctly.

VS

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1104810196896845864/1256032095239802972/Screenshot_2024-06-28_013138.png?ex=667f4a8b&is=667df90b&hm=0c8f46c9a4dccd38075d6e7baf12bfe84c6956ee5206858c5d31b70d22a2606d&

Warriors spear does low damage,has no alternative component or buffs or anything that alters or shifts its game play other than stand in melee to not suck.I know people refer to it as a weapon that gw1 paragons use but this is not gw1,there is no paragon elite spec and designing weapon systems around professions that do no exist at all is quite stupid and shows a fundamental lack of care or really any understanding how this class actually works.Warrior is by and large a melee focused power house with mid ranged pressure,its weapon choices and designs should reflect this,spear does not reflect anything even remotely connected to anything warrior hell i could literally switch the necromancers spear and warrior spear skills and both would feed correctly conceptually better into each other.

Ive played warrior for a very long time in this game,about 8 years worth of it,this weapon unless it is buffed to disgusting levels of damage will not see play anywhere really. The most likely scenario im going to see actually is warrior is going to get there regular power weapon options nerfed into the dirt again just so this thing is the only viable power weapon left for the very few warrior mains left in the game.

Edited by Wolf.3490
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

War spear just needs to generate might per target struck (initial strike and aoe strike) and the auto attack will go from underpowered to good. The entire kit would grow from that.

Add 3 might per target struck to the second hit on spear 2 and we’re getting to a good kit.

Add might to harriers to round it out and make skill 5 ACTUALLY HIT MOVING TARGETS, and it’s a legitimately good, non-nonsense weapon. Just might and spears being hucked with big, brawny, sweaty, veiny arms 🤤

Edit: oh yea, skill 4 is a delayed skill shot with a tiny hit box, give it a flip skill with a  pull or give it more damage. That would be AMAZING. 

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

War spear just needs to generate might per target struck (initial strike and aoe strike) and the auto attack will go from underpowered to good. The entire kit would grow from that.

Add 3 might per target struck to the second hit on spear 2 and we’re getting to a good kit.

Add might to harriers to round it out and make skill 5 ACTUALLY HIT MOVING TARGETS, and it’s a legitimately good, non-nonsense weapon. Just might and spears being hucked with big, brawny, sweaty, veiny arms 🤤

It needs more than might, Osc. Spear 4 needs a shorter cast and faster projectile speed, Spear 5's AoEs need to be bigger to hit moving targets, and all of the mixed range shenanigans need to be removed and make the thing function the same at all ranges. 

Just now, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It needs more than might, Osc. Spear 4 needs a shorter cast and faster projectile speed, Spear 5's AoEs need to be bigger to hit moving targets, and all of the mixed range shenanigans need to be removed and make the thing function the same at all ranges. 

That’s a fair disagreement. I don’t think it’s that far off from the play tests I’ve done so far. This may come from playing different builds, etc.

I do think spear 4 cast being reduced would be helpful, I think removing mixed range on spear 2 is necessary (see comments elsewhere, 300 standard at all distances for a skill shot is where I’m thinking), but other things like the auto I don’t think it matters as much.

Im also going for minimum viable product and I think just might gen and the weapon is fine because at 20 might I can 100-0 a marauders revenant. That’s really not bad. At 0 might I do 40% of their health. So the might is pretty important in my view.

I will update my opinion on a post at the end of the beta in a post that is more detailed. This was a quick post on mobile. 

• Confused 1

I do not know honestly,all the solider profession spear weapons feel very dead in the water at the moment,like guardians one does not suck but  has abit of a identity crisis between healing and damage while revenants one feels very slow for a melee weapon abit too slow.

After trying out the other professions spears it feels anet just kinda forget that solider professions are the most iconic poster boys for spears as they are usually portrayed as such in media.Right now everyone else but the actual poster boys feel amazingly good to play, they respect there professions fantasy and just all around feel less sluggish ,like the thief spear mechanics has weapon master written all over it,engineer is a mecha lightning rod,necromancer is just warrior water spear but ground side and better,ranger makes you feel like a wild hunting creature,elementalist you feel like the primal forces avatar demigod incarnate with your spear,my point is you feel nothing on warrior absolutely no love or theme.

Thief has a daze too on there 4 but is faster coming out at 1/4 of second with no cool down while applying a cripple and a damage buff to themselves. I just do not see the same quality in design principles in warrior vs other professions,the simple fact that warriors one is at 3/4 of a second means that every time you will be interrupted when you cast this skill.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

That’s a fair disagreement. I don’t think it’s that far off from the play tests I’ve done so far. This may come from playing different builds, etc.

I do think spear 4 cast being reduced would be helpful, I think removing mixed range on spear 2 is necessary (see comments elsewhere, 300 standard at all distances for a skill shot is where I’m thinking), but other things like the auto I don’t think it matters as much.

Im also going for minimum viable product and I think just might gen and the weapon is fine because at 20 might I can 100-0 a marauders revenant. That’s really not bad. At 0 might I do 40% of their health. So the might is pretty important in my view.

I will update my opinion on a post at the end of the beta in a post that is more detailed. This was a quick post on mobile. 

Fixing the lack of hitting anything on spear 5 and putting might into the kit should be bare minimum. What they are going for with the weapon will work, but there are some things that they clearly did not test properly that need addressing.