New Necro minion tips?

So around 5 years ago I got into this game after watching the Overlord anime and looking up mmos with Necromancy. I really liked it back then but I stopped playing after a while. The other day I reinstalled and played for a while and now I love it LOL. I got the HoT and RoF expansions cuz they were on sale so now I'm ready to go all out.

I really like the Necromancy minions abilities so I was just wondering if anyone has tips for making them be more epic? (Vague ik lol)

Best tip is to not run them lol. They are a bit of a trap.

but in open world etc it doesn’t really matter, play what is fun for you and minions at least have a lot of potential to help you without you needing to do much.

1) go death magic and pick all the minion traits you can find.

2) pick a minion in every slot, usually like fiend, the scorpion and the 2 twins (dunno how it’s called all eh)

2.5) go „Rise“ when playing reaper. Drop the scorpion for it.

3) when going death nova let the two twins explode on CD

4) use zerker or marauder gear with reaper. Viper or trailblazer as scourge, tho celestial is kinda fine too especially if you also wanna alac/heal

5) GS / Staff or GS / Sword-Torch or Pistol Torch is nice for open world

6) go Blood Magic for more defense, or Reaping for more „Shroud Action“ or Spite for more Power PewPew. (Feel it out)

7) if you have e-specc anything will do. Reaper is more melee focused and has „Rise“. Scourge works nice at range, and can provide a lot of heal through barrier aswell as alac for the grp. Also shades can somewhat be sawn as minions (but they don’t count as such mechanically). Well and harbinger is… what it is i don’t like it. More pewpew for less hp basically.

i hope i could help but don’t hesitate to ask more. I don’t have to much time to give out a whole build in detail.

Edited by CafPow.1542
  • Like 2

Reaper (or necros in general) is one of the most played classes. I think especially reaper in open world is insanely good. It’s simple, effective, very tanky while going full dps yet it is not boring to play, it’s super fun.

so yeah if you like melee combat then you will have a lot of fun and an ez time on reaper.

• Like 1

What CafPow says is accurate but here are some builds for you to consider anyway:

Condition build: 
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAEtjlFwmYMsK2IW8PeNVA-DyIY1ouXMAAA-e

Power build: 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSgAEZlFw8YMsK2Im+WlNdA-DSIYRU1rFAAA-e

The Condition build is way tankier and requires less knowledge of the enemies you fight and you kind of just wade through your enemies with sheer durability and damage.

The Power build requires more logical gameplay and is trickier to pull off but at the same time, more durable than the run of the mill full Power damage open world reaper. 

I'm going to suggest this minionmaster harbinger build, since you prefer reaper it may not attract you as much but in my opinion is way more effective and straight forward to play, just take a look at it. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSgEoEWWQBrqqN10oiajN6pK5FPB-DyIY1ox/Q6SCEoCqUBoS/AwCMPbAA-e

Harbinger by itself is a powerhouse in terms of dps and sustain in openworld so you wont get penalized that much on situations were your minions die. Here your squad of minions will be empowered with quickness so that will allow you to get more sustain from them and a bit more dps. 

Your damage will come mostly from torment, and here you will have 100% torment duration.

You will only need pistol/warhorn and trident as weapons.

Some combat tips. Just ramp up torment with your pistol 2 skill then use the number 3 to pop the relic effect, then enter on shroud form and enjoy the chaos XD. Warhorn as an offhand is quite underrated, it will grant you movement a bit of sustain and cc when needed.

I hope you will find this helpfull.

I have a minion master reaper that I quite enjoy playing… “Rise” is really nice to have available to really pad your minion count… when you find yourself swarmed by more enemies than you really want its the perfect utility.

Death Magics spec really amps up your minions damage and your own survival.

the minions can work pretty effectively in some endgame encounters were damage is focused on condition , i remember using the condition transfer to minions who give them to enemies in the new fractal were the boss vomit condition at your face and it ended up being very defensive and super offensive , but you need to be hit for it to be effective , quite a bit non intuitive but it was fun to see a build who is literally called useless in endgame content being good in very specific situation.

8 minutes ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

the minions can work pretty effectively in some endgame encounters were damage is focused on condition , i remember using the condition transfer to minions who give them to enemies in the new fractal were the boss vomit condition at your face and it ended up being very defensive and super offensive , but you need to be hit for it to be effective , quite a bit non intuitive but it was fun to see a build who is literally called useless in endgame content being good in very specific situation.

Sadly they gutted that cheese, ONLY Torment is transferred now, nothing else.