Inquiries and Concerns Before Purchasing

I'm a long-time player, since GW1 and have been supporting this franchise ever since.

I'd like to ask if we could get some further clarifications on what's going to come from the Janthir Wilds expansion?

After playing the Secrets of the Obscure expansion, many issues have me worried about my purchase for Janthir.

I think, overall, Soto has been a very frustrating experience and it's not easily pinned down on one or two issues. The problems feel more holistic, as if the combined design decisions were all collaborating to make the experience annoying, eye-rolling or a feeling of wanting to give up.

Is there any reassurance that the design effort for Janthir will attempt new, different and better results than what Soto gave?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Blackmoon.6837
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Blackmoon.6837 said:

I'm a long-time player, since GW1 and have been supporting this franchise ever since.

I'd like to ask if we could get some further clarifications on what's going to come from the Janthir Wilds expansion?

After playing the Secrets of the Obscure expansion, many issues have me worried about my purchase for Janthir.

I think, overall, Soto has been a very frustrating experience and it's not easily pinned down on one or two issues. The problems feel more holistic, as if the combined design decisions were all collaborating to make the experience annoying, eye-rolling or a feeling of wanting to give up.

Is there any reassurance that the design effort for Janthir will attempt new, different and better results than what Soto gave?

Thank you for your time.

No one is going to be able to "Reassure" you about something that hasn't come out yet, if you desperately want that, then wait til the expansion launches

• Like 6

I'm not sure how anyone can answer your concerns when even you aren't able to identify exactly what they are, but yes we will get more info on Janthir Wilds before it's released.

I assume you've already seen these but just in case here's the news articles we've had so far:

But also if you don't pre-order JW the only things you'll miss out on are the 'homesteader' title and Whispering Serpent pauldrons. (You also get a choice of Serpent's Wrath weapons but based on previous expansions those will be available to everyone once the expansion comes out.) So unless you're a dedicated title and/or skin collector or you really like those pauldrons there's no harm in waiting until it's released and you can find out from other players exactly what's included.

• Like 3

My recommendation is not to pre-purchase at all. If you REALLY want to get those bonus items/titles, pre-purchase it the day before launch (get it on August 19th). Even though I support ArenaNet, I do not support the practice of pre-purchasing months in advance.

Regarding the experience with SotO, this is also worth a look at:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/secrets-of-the-obscure-looking-back-and-forward/

This is about the most reassurance you can get. If this info and the info shared by the poster above is not satisfactory to you, then your best course is to wait a couple of months after the release of JW to make your decision. You REALLY will not be missing out on a huge amount initially. I myself am considering not getting it at all until the first major update when the legendary spear becomes a tangible goal. Either way, there's no need to fear missing out by not pre-purchasing.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

My recommendation is not to pre-purchase at all. If you REALLY want to get those bonus items/titles, pre-purchase it the day before launch (get it on August 19th). Even though I support ArenaNet, I do not support the practice of pre-purchasing months in advance.

So spend $35 to get the swimsuits now, and then spend another $50-$75 later for deluxe goodies? Hmm, math doesn't check out. I can buy Ultimate now, use the 4000 gems toward the swimsuits, and get all the deluxe stuff included for no extra cost. Saved me $35. 😉

• Confused 4

5 minutes ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

So spend $35 to get the swimsuits now, and then spend another $50-$75 later for deluxe goodies? Hmm, math doesn't check out. I can buy Ultimate now, use the 4000 gems toward the swimsuits, and get all the deluxe stuff included for no extra cost. Saved me $35. 😉

That's fine. It's your money. Spend it how you wish. I just disapprove of the corporate practice of pre-purchasing (giving them money for something that isn't available yet). When I pay for a product/service, I expect immediate access to said product/service, not a delayed access.

I bought my swimsuits already, so if I decide to buy the deluxe edition, I can use those gems to buy whatever new items come with the expansion. Trust me, the gem store will have new stuff on that release day.

Edited by Zera.9435
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

...then your best course is to wait a couple of months after the release of JW to make your decision.

I think this might be part of the "holistic" design issues I'm speaking of.

I was late to play Soto and am just now running through it. I feel like I've lost a lot of opportunities for smoother play because I didn't play when it was first released. I don't blame it on the dead maps, either. I think it's a design philosophy problem.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Blackmoon.6837 said:

I think this might be part of the "holistic" design issues I'm speaking of.

I was late to play Soto and am just now running through it. I feel like I've lost a lot of opportunities for smoother play because I didn't play when it was first released. I don't blame it on the dead maps, either. I think it's a design philosophy problem.

Nah that's more just human nature at play and the 'I want it now' mentality we have. When SotO came out I played heavily because I wanted the legendary armor and did everything I could as it came out. The result was that I had 3 sets of obsidian armor on day 1 of the third chunk of content. Then I continued gathering materials and such. When the final release came out, I immediately focused all my efforts on the T2 armor. Within a few days I had all 3 sets done and was one of the first few to get it done.

That's not a design philosophy by ArenaNet, that is a player mentality. If anything, I went against ArenaNet's design philosophy.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

Nah that's more just human nature at play and the 'I want it now' mentality we have. When SotO came out I played heavily because I wanted the legendary armor and did everything I could as it came out. The result was that I had 3 sets of obsidian armor on day 1 of the third chunk of content. Then I continued gathering materials and such. When the final release came out, I immediately focused all my efforts on the T2 armor. Within a few days I had all 3 sets done and was one of the first few to get it done.

That's not a design philosophy by ArenaNet, that is a player mentality. If anything, I went against ArenaNet's design philosophy.

By comparison I just ran through Jormag Rising to get the Dominion Tribune Manica. It felt great. I enjoyed it.

Finished No Quarter a month ago, felt good. Working on Whisper in the Dark & Shadow in the Ice right now.

That whole saga feels nicely done and offering a good balance of types of content that one can achieve without headache.

I look through Soto and I just feel bad. Having gotten my first piece of Obsidian today, and I don't feel anything but a sense of wasted time.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Blackmoon.6837 said:

By comparison I just ran through Jormag Rising to get the Dominion Tribune Manica. It felt great. I enjoyed it.

Finished No Quarter a month ago, felt good. Working on Whisper in the Dark & Shadow in the Ice right now.

That whole saga feels nicely done and offering a good balance of types of content that one can achieve without headache.

I look through Soto and I just feel bad. Having gotten my first piece of Obsidian today, and I don't feel anything but a sense of wasted time.

It's no secret that SotO wasn't very well received, it doesn't mean that JW will be the same way. Besides, this is a game. It's ALL a waste of time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I don't know. My wife and I had lunch yesterday for $24 at a fast food place. $25 for a year's worth of any content totally feels worth it to me. I've enjoyed the new weapon choices most of all. I may never grind enough to craft the legendary armor, but don't care too much since I don't change armor all that much, mostly when I tire of a character and switch to another.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1