Why are Accidental DC's Punished but Not AFK'ers??

If you accidently lose internet for whatever reason Anet says: "You're kitten out of luck kid. Better keep your internet on at all times or else." Even when trying to come back on asap.

If you intentionally throw and AFK while staying in match, Anet says: "Eh.. its nbd we all have cruddy games:)"

WTF is this double standard ANET?? Punish AFK'ers who literally throw games while they are still in them! Not just people who rq or dc and try to reconnect.

Edited by Yerlock.4678
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Cherazade.4170 said:

How is Anet supposed to know if you lost your connection or if you ragequit and therefore grief?

They don't. But they don't punish afk'ers enough who don't rq by dc'ing. They just stand there in spawn and for some reason anet doesnt care even after reports.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yerlock.4678 said:

They don't. But they don't punish afk'ers enough who don't rq by dc'ing. They just stand there in spawn and for some reason anet doesnt care even after reports.

What do you suggest? As much as I'd like to kitten on anet, trust me it's a favorite past time, unfortunately, it's a player problem. Granted anet could dish out bans to retroactively fix the issue, but there's no way I can think of to fix the issue proactively. It's just the environment this game and the devs created 

Yeah, it sucks but, as other folks have mentioned, it’s not really something ANet can control without direct proof or supervision of individual matches. If each match had a dedicated director/referee, then you could make the case, but the resources just aren’t there short of recruiting players (and even then there’s possibility for abuse of the system). Don’t get me wrong, it vexes me as well, but short of ANet becoming intimately hands-on, I can’t think of a resolution off the top of my head.

34 minutes ago, Etaoin.4362 said:

I can’t think of a resolution off the top of my head.

Return the Nudge effect and then put a counter on the players buff bar to indicate the number of times they've been nudged back into the fight arena during the game. This would persist for the game only, but roll over to a hidden culmulative counter that persists for a month.

I'm sure with a few spreadsheets the developers could work out based on the time the game took along with the Nudged counter how much the player participated or not as the case may be and reduce their points/rewards/ranks accordingly. Get to a certain number of nudges per day and the whole account is banned from pvp for the rest of the day. Get to a certain number of nudges per week then get a ban for the following week. Get to a certain number per month then banned for the next month. The hidden counter would reset after a one month ban.

Players who genuinely have to go afk for personal reasons won't be hit as hard as those that do it all the time.

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy.5981 said:

Return the Nudge effect and then put a counter on the players buff bar to indicate the number of times they've been nudged back into the fight arena during the game. This would persist for the game only, but roll over to a hidden culmulative counter that persists for a month.

I'm sure with a few spreadsheets the developers could work out based on the time the game took along with the Nudged counter how much the player participated or not as the case may be and reduce their points/rewards/ranks accordingly. Get to a certain number of nudges per day and the whole account is banned from pvp for the rest of the day. Get to a certain number of nudges per week then get a ban for the following week. Get to a certain number per month then banned for the next month. The hidden counter would reset after a one month ban.

Players who genuinely have to go afk for personal reasons won't be hit as hard as those that do it all the time.

That could work, although then you might have players who enter the combat area and AFK there instead. That would get them around the nudge counter and let them continue to screw over their teammates.

Yeah that's the only downside but at least they could be killed and the game would be over quicker.

Perhaps they could have the arenas split into two sections. When an afker gets nudged into the arena they're placed at the nearest point to their spawn. If they get killed in their teams sector without moving into the opposing sides sector then the invisible nudge counter could increment by an increasing ratel ie. 1x at first death, 2x at 2nd death, 4x at 3rd death etc., thereby forcing them to move into the opposing players sector to avoid this accelerated increase or at least start to fight. If they don't they would get banned for the day/week/month quicker.

Edited by Andy.5981

9 hours ago, Etaoin.4362 said:

Yeah, it sucks but, as other folks have mentioned, it’s not really something ANet can control without direct proof or supervision of individual matches. If each match had a dedicated director/referee, then you could make the case, but the resources just aren’t there short of recruiting players (and even then there’s possibility for abuse of the system). Don’t get me wrong, it vexes me as well, but short of ANet becoming intimately hands-on, I can’t think of a resolution off the top of my head.

If I can be AFK and kicked while in the lobby, the same thing can happen to a player in a game.

There is a player in the top 20 who has been doing this repeatedly. 

HIs name is pretty Grim
and he's a JACK@$$

Edited by EnderzShadow.2506
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy.5981 said:

Yeah that's the only downside but at least they could be killed and the game would be over quicker.

That's fair, although I take it this doesn't necessarily address Yerlock's complaint, namely that the other players get penalized along with the AFK'er

2 hours ago, Andy.5981 said:

Perhaps they could have the arenas split into two sections. When an afker gets nudged into the arena they're placed at the nearest point to their spawn. If they get killed in their teams sector without moving into the opposing sides sector then the invisible nudge counter could increment by an increasing ratel ie. 1x at first death, 2x at 2nd death, 4x at 3rd death etc., thereby forcing them to move into the opposing players sector to avoid this accelerated increase or at least start to fight. If they don't they would get banned for the day/week/month quicker.

That's also interesting. I think the concern there would be about how you track those deaths vs. the deaths of teammates also defeated in that area.  It might be doable, but I'm concerned about false positives punishing players who unintentionally get farmed

6 minutes ago, EnderzShadow.2506 said:

If I can be AFK and kicked while in the lobby, the same thing can happen to a player in a game.

There is a player in the top 20 who has been doing this repeatedly. 

HIs name is pretty Grim
and he's a JACK@$$

.I've heard tales...

• Like 1