Home Sweet Home: softlock if you can't make the bed [Merged]

If you go into the instance to make the bed but don't have enough flowers (or wool scraps), you can't craft the bed but there's no way to leave the instance to find/buy more (unless you have portable tp, which I do not). Had to go to character select to get out.

• Like 3

Hello, loving the expansion.

The quest "3. home sweet home" objective "craft a traditional kodan bed at the handiwork workbench" will not complete having made said traditional kodan bed at the handiwork workbench.
Using all the decoration options on the bed has been attempted.

Is anyone else having this issue?
Has anyone discovered a workaround?

Thank you
Best regards

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with the kodan bed. I could craft this bed without having trained the mastery and the story did not advance at this point. I trained the mastery and after completing Novice Handiworker Crafting I crafted the kodan bed again. Then the story advanced.

Edited by Solene.3067
Typo
  • Thanks 1

I have a similarly blocking issue. I cannot craft the Traditional Kodan Bed, so I cannot progress in the main storyline.

The crafting progress bar completes and makes the completion sound, but the materials are not consumed and the bed is not created. I had already mastered Novice Handiworker when I encountered this problem. Additionally mastering Intermediate Handiworker did not help, nor did leaving and reentering the instance. I have been able to create a Fancy Kodan Bed, so homestead crafting itself is not broken for me, only this specific item that is required to advance the storyline.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HelveticaScenario.6485 said:

I have a similarly blocking issue. I cannot craft the Traditional Kodan Bed, so I cannot progress in the main storyline.

The crafting progress bar completes and makes the completion sound, but the materials are not consumed and the bed is not created. I had already mastered Novice Handiworker when I encountered this problem. Additionally mastering Intermediate Handiworker did not help, nor did leaving and reentering the instance. I have been able to create a Fancy Kodan Bed, so homestead crafting itself is not broken for me, only this specific item that is required to advance the storyline.

I have this exact issue.  I crafted something the other night BEFORE leveling the mastery, and now that I have the things for the bed, the game won't actually make it.

I was able to work around this by completely discarding all progress in Home Sweet Home and starting from the beginning.

EDIT: To reset progress in a chapter, it's not enough to just quit the chapter. If you start the same chapter right away, it'll pick up where you left off. You need to first start another chapter, then quit that one, before staring the original one again.

Edited by HelveticaScenario.6485
  • Thanks 3

Hello, 

When entering the Homestead at the step you need to craft your bed, it will get you stuck in the instance if you don't have the materials or like me craft the wrong bed. 

Only option to leave is guildhall or portal scrolls. Since not everyone has these you might need to take a look at this. 

Also the refining wood objective gets reset. If you bought 200 the first time entering the instance you get stuck with the story in the second unable to finish it. 

Chapter 3 Story step requires to "craft a traditional Kodan bed at the handiwork workbench" but crafting is bugged, i have all the materials, recipe is available when i click "craft" the crafting bar fills but but nothing happens, i don't get the item, materials are not consumed, story step does not progress, i'm unable to move on in the story at all. I've seen bug reports for some other decorations but not the story required item.

10 hours ago, HelveticaScenario.6485 said:

I was able to work around this by completely discarding all progress in Home Sweet Home and starting from the beginning.

EDIT: To reset progress in a chapter, it's not enough to just quit the chapter. If you start the same chapter right away, it'll pick up where you left off. You need to first start another chapter, then quit that one, before staring the original one again.

Can confirm this works, I helped a friend that was stuck on this by doing roughly the same procedure. It's kinda hard when the person is stressing and clicking things too fast and just rampaging about bugs before trying simple "community established" story fixes first.

😄

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Progression not possible - Janthir Wilds 3. home sweet home [Merged]

I have a similar bug, i can't progress because when i try to craft the bed with all the materials that i have at craft progress end no material are consumed and no bed done so i can keep crafting endless time with no result and so the instance do not progress

13 hours ago, HelveticaScenario.6485 said:

This worked for me, all i needed to do was reset the chapter and do it again, thank you for the tip .

Yes. Had the same issue.
And now it won't craft the bed, so the softlock turned into a hard lock for the story.
Ressources are not used, I now have enough to craft two beds. If I do so, the bar fills up twice but still nothing happens.

• Like 1

Just now, Azharyn.5672 said:

Yes. Had the same issue.
And now it won't craft the bed, so the softlock turned into a hard lock for the story.
Ressources are not used, I now have enough to craft two beds. If I do so, the bar fills up twice but still nothing happens.

I have exactly the same issue and i can't go on with the story

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Home Sweet Home: softlock if you can't make the bed [Merged]

I tried to quit the story, started a SOTO one, quit that after first episode, started again JW but had the same issue again, no progress at all

Btw after the new patch today nothing changed, seems this is really a bad issue, let's hope for the best since the story it's actually blocked for everyone that had this issue.

Edited by NaramSin.2693

I have run into this issue. Sadly, the only way out of this one is to force a exit to character select. Perhaps, when tasked with making the bed, track that the player actually has the items in their inventory or storage before permitting them into the homestead to proceed with the craft; or, allow them to leave the homestead if their supplies are not sufficient. I prefer the former, since new players will want to get this right the first time and not wind up into a situation like this.

Edited by windbliss.3158

5 hours ago, NaramSin.2693 said:

Anyone was able to find a viable workaround to progress with the story? 

I still cannot craft the bed, but I could advance the story together with a friend. They already did it, and repeated this instance for me, and I got to accept credit for that story step.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking about this solution too, thank you, i'll try to do this, btw it's so sad that they just don't care about people stuck in the story for this issue but messed up immediately with warclaw leap in WvW 😄 they should use the code in a better way for the players

Edited by NaramSin.2693

Not sure if this will help some folks...

I also made the bed, tried crafting, nothing was showing on the decoration tab.

Turns out "placed" was checked by default (via the gear on top right), so it was filtering out everything, because it was trying to show what I had already placed ...which was nothing..

I unchecked that, and the bed popped up, and I could get the story to progress.

ETA: Also had to turn off "Unplaced" to see everything else.

Which is weird, because it should show the whole list of things that haven't been placed yet...but doesn't.

Edited by NeutralBurn.3829

This is also a problem when replaying the story for achievements. I go around in the Tend to the homestead part of Home Sweet Home. I can't go any later in the story because it hangs on there. Even though I completed to the end of Strangers Among Lands, my story journal looks like I never finished Tend to the homestead. It was wiped when I first entered via the purple "replay for achievements".

Edited by Hesione.9412
  • Like 1

Since we found some workarounds now at least we can go on with the story but Devs, please, please, fix this things, it's a blocking bug and it should be solved as soon as possible, please do this so that other players in the future don't have to be blocked for this.