Will Guild Wars 2 get native controller support and launch on consoles?

Recently, I tried Throne & Liberty (TL) beta and New World (NW) open beta on Steam with native controller support. It feels so good. Both the action tab targeting combat of TL and the action combat of NW with optional target lock on were so good, especially for ranged weapons.  

As an ardent fisherman in Guild Wars 2, if controller support is implemented like that in New World, I will be fishing all day. Fishing with a controller was just out of this world in NW. 

I hope ArenaNet will consider developing native controller support and maybe even launch the game on PlayStation and Xbox. I believe this will be great for existing players who prefer using a gamepad. Also, it will be great for business because there will be more players coming into the game from the two console platforms. 

I really hope this will happen in the future. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

I've been years using the Joy2Key controller, managing through the crappy interfaces, but at least being super happy with the gameplay part I got. But I'm willing to relearn from zero if they add native support, I totally sign for this. I would love to navigate maps and inventory and menus in a nice way, not only the gameplay part

• Like 1

Almost definitely not. This would be a huge undertaking, and clearly console markets are not their priority. It takes a little work, but you could pretty easily set up your game to where you can play with any controller. Either through Steam or through any controller application, you could easily set keybinds to your Xbox or PlayStation controller. Heck, you could play with N64 controllers if that's your fancy.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Hopefully not... Console limitations would ruin the game. Reminds me of the dark ages of FFXI when we had to deal with PS2 limitations and devs couldn't do much because of it...

Plus I hope GW2 never gets native controller support since I use Xpadder to keybind everything to my xbox controller and I don't want in game support to ruin my keybindings I've been using since 2012...

Please learn to use Xpadder or Steam Input instead. It's much better option.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

Hopefully not... Console limitations would ruin the game. Reminds me of the dark ages of FFXI when we had to deal with PS2 limitations and devs couldn't do much because of it...

Plus I hope GW2 never gets native controller support since I use Xpadder to keybind everything to my xbox controller and I don't want in game support to ruin my keybindings I've been using since 2012...

Please learn to use Xpadder or Steam Input instead. It's much better option.

If Xpadder is like joy2key, it doesn't work for menus. I have a button that slows down the mouse and I can use joystick to move the mouse for inventory and so... That I almost never use cause it's so BAD. Native controller support is needed to use menus with arrow keys.

For combat, yeah, I'm also using Joy2key and I love my configuration, but I would give up that for inventory management. Specially because If I don't like how they do, I can just deactivate controller support and return to joy2key/xpadder. Or maybe some mix.

12 minutes ago, DarkK.7368 said:

If Xpadder is like joy2key, it doesn't work for menus. I have a button that slows down the mouse and I can use joystick to move the mouse for inventory and so... That I almost never use cause it's so BAD. Native controller support is needed to use menus with arrow keys.

For combat, yeah, I'm also using Joy2key and I love my configuration, but I would give up that for inventory management. Specially because If I don't like how they do, I can just deactivate controller support and return to joy2key/xpadder. Or maybe some mix.

Xpadder keybinding and item dragging with a gamepad work flawlessly. The issue lies with your keybindings, which could use some improvement. Personally, I think the menus are great, and I’d be happy to show you how to set it up via Discord if you're interested. I’ve been playing GW2 entirely with an Xbox controller for both combat and menus since 2012 beta, and the only time I touch the keyboard is when I need to type.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

Xpadder keybinding and item dragging with a gamepad work flawlessly. The issue lies with your keybindings, which could use some improvement. Personally, I think the menus are great, and I’d be happy to show you how to set it up via Discord if you're interested. I’ve been playing GW2 entirely with an Xbox controller for both combat and menus since 2012 beta, and the only time I touch the keyboard is when I need to type.

Well you got my attention, let's see how you navigate menus with a controller 😄

• Like 1

Yeah, ANet should definetely get into that... It's been a while since most games have gotten native support since launch on pc. 

4 hours ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

This is far from reality.  "Console limitations", whatever that means, only exist when a game is made for console and then badly ported to pc. Square is notoriously bad at this, please don't use them as example for delusional arguments. 

Plus this game already has like 12 years? It could very comfortably run on a ps4, let alone anything newer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

6 hours ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

Same here. Started playing it with Xpadder in 2012 but the layer system has been a bit buggy. Later I've bought me a Rewasd license and I'm very happy with it since. Started playing using a PS4 Controller, now it's an 8bitDo SN30 Pro+ because of better native support then PS controller.

Even tho setting up native controller support for GW2 would be nice, I rather want see it implemented in GW3.