Spear + GS in WvW?

Hey folks. Contemplating getting the expansion, but I don't want to drop my GS from the GS/SB Shiro/Dwarf Invo/Salv/Ren build (Celestial ofc) I am running. I use it in-lieu of Staff for the better ... basically everything, it offers. Could I replace SB with Spear? Maybe switch from Ren to Alliance and run Alliance / Dwarf? Or even Shiro / Alliance? I have seen a few builds posted, like on Guildjen. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Hey folks. Contemplating getting the expansion, but I don't want to drop my GS from the GS/SB Shiro/Dwarf Invo/Salv/Ren build (Celestial ofc) I am running. I use it in-lieu of Staff for the better ... basically everything, it offers. Could I replace SB with Spear? Maybe switch from Ren to Alliance and run Alliance / Dwarf? Or even Shiro / Alliance? I have seen a few builds posted, like on Guildjen. 

perfectly possible yea. 1 thing to keep in mind though, the 600 range and ppl might run out of skill 5 in WvW (skill 5 spear should have 240 radius hit zone).

You can also run kalla/shiro, kalla/dwarf. But I think you want the shiro port engage in ur builds.

Keep in mind also, celestial stats next Tuesday will no longer benefit concentration/expertise stats in WvW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, arazoth.7290 said:

perfectly possible yea. 1 thing to keep in mind though, the 600 range and ppl might run out of skill 5 in WvW (skill 5 spear should have 240 radius hit zone).

You can also run kalla/shiro, kalla/dwarf. But I think you want the shiro port engage in ur builds.

Keep in mind also, celestial stats next Tuesday will no longer benefit concentration/expertise stats in WvW

Oh god kitten, well I might need to get some boon duration from somewhere then! It might be hard to choose which legend to give up, Shiro/Dwarf is such an amazing combination. I definitely got a lot of kills diving people with Shiro who thought they were safe, and Dwarf is what keeps me in their faces. 

3 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Oh god kitten, well I might need to get some boon duration from somewhere then! It might be hard to choose which legend to give up, Shiro/Dwarf is such an amazing combination. I definitely got a lot of kills diving people with Shiro who thought they were safe, and Dwarf is what keeps me in their faces. 

I have some new stat combos what ima to use already.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwEk0FtMTKhdSUsUaihSVMVKkVSDcUe2iqA-DWRYRRH7N4yIySIzMQ+fBlIM7hHAA-w

• Thanks 2

This is the build I used, and it doesn't use GS because you really struggle to do any meaningful damage with Spear as it leans heavily toward Condi, making Power stats very unimpressive on it.  

It's... okay. You will be able to kill most people who just stupidly run into you but you struggle to chase people without Shiro. But if you do run Shiro instead of Mallyx, you lose lockdown pressure. However running Alliance and Mallyx together grants you Arch Stunbreak, Spear plus Mallyx which has some of the best CC spam in the game while you casually dish out Conditions. Shortbow will be your main weapon and Spear is more of a defensive swap/cover conditions. 

I still don't recommend it over the classic SB/GS anything. Spear really lacks in WvW due to the more open nature of the mode as well as too much reliance of external CC factors to get any value. Anything you want to do on Spear, Mace/Axe or GS does it better. 

And as Buran mentioned, Celestial stats will lose their Expertise and Concentration soon. I recommend running a mix of Trailblazers and Diviners when the time comes, forgoing Healing Power in order to maintain a good damage resume. 

Edited by Jobber.6348
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. The 600 range on skill #5 worried me a fair bit. In beta I couldn't hit anyone with it, I also rarely see any Rev with a spear. Might just stick with what I know for now and double down on my aggressive Shiro leaning play style when it's time to switch stats.

35 minutes ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Thanks everyone. The 600 range on skill #5 worried me a fair bit. In beta I couldn't hit anyone with it, I also rarely see any Rev with a spear. Might just stick with what I know for now and double down on my aggressive Shiro leaning play style when it's time to switch stats.

You might as well start learning how to play Power Vindicator in WvW. 

Same weapons and same traits as Celestial Shortbow Vindicator, just that you will be using Marauders + Berserkers. It's still plenty powerful and you will need to level up your gameplay eventually without relying on Celestial to carry your mistakes. 

If you really want to jump into meta, then learn how to play Power Herald too, which takes much more skill. 

Edited by Jobber.6348

6 minutes ago, Jobber.6348 said:

You might as well start learning how to play Power Vindicator in WvW. 

Same weapons and same traits as Celestial Shortbow Vindicator, just that you will be using Marauders + Berserkers. It's still plenty powerful and you will need to level up your gameplay eventually without relying on Celestial to carry your mistakes. 

If you really want to jump into meta, then learn how to play Power Herald too, which takes much more skill. 

Yeah this is probably the way. I did used to play power Herald ages ago but Celestial turned out to be much more forgiving. Learning positioning has been a big problem for me, but maybe this time I will be better with it as I have been playing slightly more often.