In game music!

So I've just wanted to say that Maclaine Diemer should be given a raise for composing such a wonderful music! I love HoT tracks, especially the main theme, I love what I've heard in the launch trailer. Jeremy Soule created pretty cliche symphonic pieces, but Maclaine Diemer puts emotions and atmosphere into his music and new pieces just move my soul. Huge kisses and hugs to him and all music team! :* <3

I do think Soule's music is pretty samey across all his works. Nothing about each piece he's composed sticks out against all the others. Not to say it's bad, it's really good, but I wouldn't call any of it particularly memorable when compared to something like 'Tarir, The Forgotten City' or 'Attack on Tarir'... especially 'Attack on Tarir', that piece has such a great melody and overall composition.

I think one of the greatest things about HoT soundtrack and GW2's soundtrack post Jeremy is the dynamic nature of it. Music goes through different portions based on the action within a single encounter (as opposed to just changing when entering and leaving combat), and that just didn't exist with Jeremy's music, probably due to the nature of the way his work was contracted.

@Malthurius.6870 said:I do think Soule's music is pretty samey across all his works. Nothing about each piece he's composed sticks out against all the others. Not to say it's bad, it's really good, but I wouldn't call any of it particularly memorable when compared to something like 'Tarir, The Forgotten City' or 'Attack on Tarir'... especially 'Attack on Tarir', that piece has such a great melody and overall composition.

I think one of the greatest things about HoT soundtrack and GW2's soundtrack post Jeremy is the dynamic nature of it. Music goes through different portions based on the action within a single encounter (as opposed to just changing when entering and leaving combat), and that just didn't exist with Jeremy's music, probably due to the nature of the way his work was contracted.

In GW2, Jeremy Soule's music was mainly used for the overall environmental design - not specialized on certain events like 'The Origins Of Madness' (Marionette fight and bandit executioner). Soule's pieces couldn't have the same presence/impact/power/dynamic as it would be pretty distracting if it suddenly went completely crazy when you're just casually exploring the maps. I'm not sure about the personal story at the moment.

On the other hand, we certainly didn't hear the most iconic pieces of Soule in GW2 (yet), here are some suggestions from GW1, if you don't know them yet:

• Guild Wars
  • Guild Wars Nightfall:
    -> New in Season 3: if M.O.X is in your home instance, you can ask him to play it
  • Guild Wars Nightfall: The Grand Cataract
  • Guild Wars EotN:
  • Guild Wars Prophecies:
    -> could be heard in Glint's Lair in Season 2 if I remember correctly

Jeremy Soule is overrated. I don't think the GW1 OST was awesome, outside the campaign themes. And especially the combat music was always so uninspired (in both GW1 and GW2) which is weird because for example in the Elder scrolls series Jeremy Soule did some awesome combat tracks. I guess in the GW universe theme songs and some exploration songs were his forte.

The combat music is much more engaging in LS3+ and HoT (and hopefully in PoF) bringing excitement when you enter combat, which in many cases I find it more important than an exploration theme, or a main theme that you listen only on the main menu.

Archived