How will voice program usage (teamspeak for example) look like to guildless people in WvW?

Arctisavange.7261

@Arctisavange.7261 said:What servers are we actualy talking about where discord has replaced ts? And by that question im asking what servers use discord for commanding over teamspeak?Im in EU SFR where we have discord but absolutely nobody uses it for commanding for planty of reasons so im bit puzzled where its actualy popular.

Underworld and vabbi. Basically new servers because it is easier to setup/join, has better quality and its practically free. Even Desolation had some issues in the past with their teamspeak admins so they were considering transition to discord but discord was still at development stage so it still had fair amount of issues back then.

Servers like Desolation, SFR and FSP do have their own community discords so their transition to discord wont be very hard if some of them end up with alliance that uses Discord instead of old teamspeak servers.

Main issues with discord is:

• it makes stupid blim blom sounds everytime someone joins channel and it is practically impossible to tell if your mic is muted or not from the mic mute sound. Meaning you have to turn all those sounds off. Also the damn popup notifications when someone types something needs to be turned off if you dont like them...
  • People who join it first time typically have open mic because they haven't setup the settings yet.
  • It is little cartoony and the vocal channels are not highlighted as much as chat channels unlike in teamspeak. But overall this is good because teamspeak way of doing it makes written communication pretty awkward whereas it is easy to do both on discord.

Better sound quality, mobile accessiblity, usability on browser (but no recommended), easier joining (click the + button, no need to bookmark the server) and the fact that it is capable replacing server browser forums are all worth the 2-5 minute setting setup that every user has to do (which is actually part of teamspeak as well).Also all new games use discord to communicate. Most likely your favorite streamer also has discord where you can communicate with other same streamer fans.Want to look for PUBG group on PUBG discord server while listening to commander on your server discord server? PossibleWant to check what your guild is talking on other discord server chat? PossibleWant to check whats going on other servers voice chats, are they online? Possible.Want to send your friend message while theyre offline/online on discord? PossibleWant to ask if theres good fights without distracting voice comm channel? PossibleWant to make/check a channel where commanders announce when they tag up so you dont have to be online always? PossibleNow these things are up to certain extent possible on teamspeak as well if you make multiple identities so you dont get muted when you join etc etc... But it is pretty awkward with multiple tabs, bookmarks, identities, mic disabling and everything

@Arctisavange.7261 said:Yeeeah having used discord ill still stick to teamspeak for commanding.

Well you will have the SFR ts. I doubt it will go down anytime soon.

Discord is what younger gamers prefer because all streamers and new games use it to communicate and setup groups. So it is capable of replacing things like Skype, Twitter announcements when streamer starts, internet forums etc at the same time. Also it has better quality. Teamspeak is what oldies are used to.

Will depend tbh how the new api for WVW will be. ill try to make the new discord bot with nice futures have no worry into that :dizzy:

Current Plan with the bot i am trying to develop is:

• with web/without interface.
  • Would love to make it useable for: Alliances/guilds/Pugs
  • will be open source will make an github link once ready

@Threather.9354 said:

@"Arctisavange.7261" said:What servers are we actualy talking about where discord has replaced ts? And by that question im asking what servers use discord for commanding over teamspeak?Im in EU SFR where we have discord but absolutely nobody uses it for commanding for planty of reasons so im bit puzzled where its actualy popular.

Underworld and vabbi. Basically new servers because it is easier to setup/join, has better quality and its practically free. Even Desolation had some issues in the past with their teamspeak admins so they were considering transition to discord but discord was still at development stage so it still had fair amount of issues back then.

Servers like Desolation, SFR and FSP do have their own community discords so their transition to discord wont be very hard if some of them end up with alliance that uses Discord instead of old teamspeak servers.

Main issues with discord is:
  • it makes stupid blim blom sounds everytime someone joins channel and it is practically impossible to tell if your mic is muted or not from the mic mute sound. Meaning you have to turn all those sounds off. Also the kitten popup notifications when someone types something needs to be turned off if you dont like them...
  • People who join it first time typically have open mic because they haven't setup the settings yet.
  • It is little cartoony and the vocal channels are not highlighted as much as chat channels unlike in teamspeak. But overall this is good because teamspeak way of doing it makes written communication pretty awkward whereas it is easy to do both on discord.

Better sound quality, mobile accessiblity, usability on browser (but no recommended), easier joining (click the + button, no need to bookmark the server) and the fact that it is capable replacing server browser forums are all worth the 2-5 minute setting setup that every user has to do (which is actually part of teamspeak as well).Also all new games use discord to communicate. Most likely your favorite streamer also has discord where you can communicate with other same streamer fans.Want to look for PUBG group on PUBG discord server while listening to commander on your server discord server? PossibleWant to check what your guild is talking on other discord server chat? PossibleWant to check whats going on other servers voice chats, are they online? Possible.Want to send your friend message while theyre offline/online on discord? PossibleWant to ask if theres good fights without distracting voice comm channel? PossibleWant to make/check a channel where commanders announce when they tag up so you dont have to be online always? PossibleNow these things are up to certain extent possible on teamspeak as well if you make multiple identities so you dont get muted when you join etc etc... But it is pretty awkward with multiple tabs, bookmarks, identities, mic disabling and everything

check this link though if people would think a bit more out of the box they can fix that far easily with: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/215253258-notifications-settings-101?page=3>

@"Odinens.5920" said:

There will be no mass exodus to Discord, unless they implement some sort of commander comms functionality like TS has.

You can set Commander roles: https://imgur.com/2USVP3l

And their is no commander functionality on teamspeak only an picture of an commander tag wich the teamspeak server uploads from an serveradmin.

And ofc People think like okay TS is better yeah it's old so let's stick to it. The amount of verified ppl doesn't lie on vabbi discord: 650

And Underworld: https://imgur.com/a/ic6AN

But i think the Old comunities won't step away from teamspeak altough i would make it for discord and trying for ts aswell but discord has main priority to me. since their development is better imo.

@"Odinens.5920" said:

There will be no mass exodus to Discord, unless they implement some sort of commander comms functionality like TS has.

You can set Commander roles:

And their is no commander functionality on teamspeak only an picture of an commander tag wich the teamspeak server uploads from an serveradmin.

And ofc People think like okay TS is better yeah it's old so let's stick to it. The amount of verified ppl doesn't lie on vabbi discord: 650

And Underworld:

But i think the Old comunities won't step away from teamspeak altough i would make it for discord and trying for ts aswell but discord has main priority to me. since their development is better imo.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend, but do you even know what "commander comms" is? It's not just giving someone a "role," or "title" (if you will).

Commander comms is just what we call it in GW2. It's basically a function in TS that allows people to talk in more than one channel at the same time. The people usually given this capability in server-wide TS are people that are commanders. It allows them to be in the channel, and talk, with the squad they are leading AND another channel that the commanders from the other BL's (or the same BL) are in so that they can coordinate attacks or defenses.

Discord does NOT have the capability to talk in 2 or more channels at the same time. Until it does there will be no mass exodus to it.

@Threather.9354 said:

@Arctisavange.7261 said:Yeeeah having used discord ill still stick to teamspeak for commanding.

Also it has better quality. Teamspeak is what oldies are used to.

TS definitely (not defiantly) has better quality for me, hands down. Cutouts and overall static are far more prevalent on discord for me than on TS. I've been using both for years, and that hasn't changed.

Also the lack of channel chat is very aggravating for someone who frequently has to mute themselves for various reasons but doesn't want to spam some general chat channel with a one-sided conversation that is just responses to what people are saying in channel. That is a major issue for me.

@Threather.9354 said:

@"Arctisavange.7261" said:Yeeeah having used discord ill still stick to teamspeak for commanding.

Discord is what younger gamers prefer because all streamers and new games use it to communicate and setup groups. So it is capable of replacing things like Skype, Twitter announcements when streamer starts, internet forums etc at the same time. Also it has better quality. Teamspeak is what oldies are used to.

Yeah, I'll go ahead and throw this out there.....just because something is new and shiny and oh "IT'S FREE EVERYBODY," doesn't make it better. Discord is a social app that has voice capability, which honestly isn't that great. TeamSpeak is a voice program, which means that's what they do......voice.....that's it. If you think facebook with voice is gonna be better than TeamSpeak for actual voice comms then you "younguns" go ahead and keep using discord, while those of us that have wisdom stick with an actual voice comm program, and proceed to wipe the maps of WvW with your stubborn-know it all-I know better attitudes, because you have to type in team chat to talk to a commander in another BL for help.

Discord is also used by communities, via text chat outside the game too. Who doesn't have Discord, unless they refuse to use it, to keep up with things happening in their community.

THIS is what Discord is good for.

I even see pugs in chat, asking why do we still use TS, when there is Discord.

THIS is because people don't seem to have a clue there's a difference.

i think teamspeaks will work the same like they do now. today a single player needs to ask for registration on a server teamspeak. this teamspeak is hosted by someone from server community. in the future single players will also need to register on teamspeaks. just it will be hosted by someone from the alliance. since the alliance has interest to reach all players they will offer teamspeaks. it can be some guilds make it mandatory to join them as they want to play competitive and keep the same players in the alliance on match change to avoid that randoms get shuffled each new matchup and need to be introduced to an alliance game behaviour all the time.

so i think everything will be available, noone will have an disadvantage. people will be more in a situation to seek for an alliance which shares the players mentality and gaming ambition.

Archived