and to kill boredom and practice ???

Aavataris.5720

@Curunen.8729 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:A game without duels ruins the immersion. Anet, you need to add duels because without them my gameplay is disturbed.

Good try but I’m afraid it won’t work. Our PvE overlords have spoken and they don’t want them.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:A game without duels ruins the immersion. Anet, you need to add duels because without them my gameplay is disturbed.

A game with duels ruins my immersion. Anet you need not to add duels, because with them my gameplay is disturbed.

It's not like people will be dueling in the gemstore window

No they're be dueling during dynamic events, scaling it up but fighting each other. The truth is, dueling adds NOTHING to the game by way of immersion. That is to say I've read countless fantasy books, watched countless fantasy movies, and during events, or even while waiting for something to happen, people don't randomly start dueling. People who insist not having dueling is immersion breaking simply haven't thought this through. You're in a world at war, so of course, you just randomly challenge people, strangers, to fight anywhere you want. Well, that's not really what happens.

There are people who set up dueling rooms in PvP, perfect place to go and duel or the arena in guild halls, far more immersive, from the point of view of realism anyway, than just randomly challenging strangers for no reason at events. Just my take on it.

Because everyone in the world gets along and never fight for no apparent reason.The DuellistAlexander Hamiltonhigh school beefbar fightsunregulated transaction disputesharry potterother mmos have dueling and it does not cause nearly the scale of problems you are implying

some of the hero challenges are in fact duels

scaling up dynamic events is a crime of the lazy leeching afkers more than a couple duelists would ever be (see tequatl)

Dueling was a thing in far a way times, and random fighting was common as well.

Challenging for a top spot like in The Postman.

In reality, and fantasy genres dueling and random fighting do happen.

But is GW2 an immersive game? Its like a mashup of pop culture and science-fantasy.

I have seen Luffy, The Flash, Samus, Ronald McDonald, Santa Claus, and even Jesus in Tyria. If that is not immersion breaking, a few duels here and there wont be either.

@Aavataris.5720 Is it possible to edit the thread title to something that might indicate what it is about and attract more eyes?

Well put.

And surely there should be a flag to auto decline (which is set on as default) for pve players who don't want to ever be bothered by it - so they'll never see any messages about it.

So if two guys are dueling near me, when I run into a solo event, does it scale for 3 people, even though I'm the only one doing it?

@Vayne.8563 said:

Good try but I’m afraid it won’t work. Our PvE overlords have spoken and they don’t want them.

A game with duels ruins my immersion. Anet you need not to add duels, because with them my gameplay is disturbed.

It's not like people will be dueling in the gemstore window

No they're be dueling during dynamic events, scaling it up but fighting each other. The truth is, dueling adds NOTHING to the game by way of immersion. That is to say I've read countless fantasy books, watched countless fantasy movies, and during events, or even while waiting for something to happen, people don't randomly start dueling. People who insist not having dueling is immersion breaking simply haven't thought this through. You're in a world at war, so of course, you just randomly challenge people, strangers, to fight anywhere you want. Well, that's not really what happens.

There are people who set up dueling rooms in PvP, perfect place to go and duel or the arena in guild halls, far more immersive, from the point of view of realism anyway, than just randomly challenging strangers for no reason at events. Just my take on it.

Because everyone in the world gets along and never fight for no apparent reason.The DuellistAlexander Hamiltonhigh school beefbar fightsunregulated transaction disputesharry potterother mmos have dueling and it does not cause nearly the scale of problems you are implying

some of the hero challenges are in fact duels

scaling up dynamic events is a crime of the lazy leeching afkers more than a couple duelists would ever be (see tequatl)

Dueling was a thing in far a way times, and random fighting was common as well.

Challenging for a top spot like in The Postman.

In reality, and fantasy genres dueling and random fighting do happen.

But is GW2 an immersive game? Its like a mashup of pop culture and science-fantasy.

I have seen Luffy, The Flash, Samus, Ronald McDonald, Santa Claus, and even Jesus in Tyria. If that is not immersion breaking, a few duels here and there wont be either.

@Aavataris.5720 Is it possible to edit the thread title to something that might indicate what it is about and attract more eyes?

Well put.

And surely there should be a flag to auto decline (which is set on as default) for pve players who don't want to ever be bothered by it - so they'll never see any messages about it.

So if two guys are dueling near me, when I run into a solo event, does it scale for 3 people, even though I'm the only one doing it?

They could be temporarily phased out into an instance so you don't see them and it doesn't affect the event until it is over and they return?

In any case I prefer arenas in city hubs that can be spectated by passers by rather than all over the place in the open world so this would be a non issue in those locations. LA should definitely have one, Black Citadel too.

@"Vayne.8563" said:

Maybe you can read the answers instead of just looking for the "problem". Repeating:"Would activate the invulnerability and intangibility (and maybe the PvP build/configuration) of the duelists for all the others. That way:

• They do not affect their environment, neutral players or allied players.
  • They will not be affected by anything, except for the damage of the monsters or enemy players (ending the duel immediately).
  • They do not count for nearby events, avoiding affecting the PvE and MvM.
  • Another player can selected a option to "do not see the duels", and his Client will ignore them (sharing less data).

In this way, those who like duels can use them to practice and WAITING, without affecting those who do not like duels and without abuse of invulnerability."

but the idea is to be able to use duels, not only as a way of training and fun, but also to kill time, while waiting:

I insist that with activating the invulnerability, intangibility (what already exists in the game) and adding an exception for the events is prevented from duels affecting the PvE and MvM (please see the previous answer to this, where I detail it more, thank you).

@Aavataris.5720 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:

Maybe you can read the answers instead of just looking for the "problem". Repeating:"Would activate the
invulnerability and intangibility
(and maybe the PvP build/configuration) of the duelists for all the others. That way:
  • They do not affect their environment, neutral players or allied players.
  • They will not be affected by anything, except for the damage of the monsters or enemy players (ending the duel immediately).
  • They do
    not count for nearby events
    , avoiding affecting the PvE and MvM.
  • Another player can selected a option to "do not see the duels", and his
    Client will ignore them
    (sharing less data).

In this way, those who like duels can use them to practice and WAITING, without affecting those who do not like duels and without abuse of invulnerability."

I've read the answers. It won't be programmed this way. If they want dueling in cities and no where else I'd be okay with it. Keep it out the open world.

For your gameplay to be disturbed, that mechanic would have had to have existed on this platform to begin with.

Re: The topic: Dueling is fine. but given that a significant portion of the PVE sphere is allergic to competitive play (and, frankly, rightly so), it should not be allowed anywhere. There should be designated areas well off from the PVE content that allow people to duel each other, so that people cannot prey upon and harass individuals not interested in that mode.

You should only find yourself facing the business end of a player's weapon (outside of very special events) if you deliberately confirm that you're looking for PVP. That way people not looking for that content don't inadvertently find it, and people looking for that content don't find people that aren't willing to attempt to provide a proper challenge.

Archived