Why my video card run so hot?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Eeerm pretty sure tweaking your settings will reduce heat

Yes, but that's putting a band aid on it, not solving the actual issue. Why should you be forced to reduce graphics quality when you can instead make sure your card (and system as a whole) gets enough cooling to not run that hot in the first place?

@OP: Apart from proper GPU cooling via software, your case requires a fan in front and one on the side (next to your PCI slots) that suck air in, one on the back that blows it out (and, if possible to install in your case, also 1-2 on top that also blow the hot air out). Most BIOSes allow you to set your case fan speed to maximum. If not, there is third party software that can do it, but I would recommend the former option, if possible (i.e., via BIOS).

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I have 16GB of memory(7.90 USABLEProcessor AMD FX 8350 eight core processorSystem type window 7 operating systemI'm using an SSD TB but its a bit older one

Can you finally give me your exact card's name (manufacturer and model)?
If you don't know how to do it, download
and type down what it says under "Graphics".

He has already said what the card is as well as a couple of pics to show it.. its a Radeon XFX RX 580.. I took a look at the specs and it does tend to run a little bit hooter than other cards in its class/range but nothing substantial so unless the GPU is cooking due to bad heatsink I would say its down to a very poor system installation combined with possible overclocking and settings in game the card doesn't like.

BTW I never said the game settings were a fix.. I advised to take a long hard look at his cooling aspects and then go tweak settings - which do offer alleviance of heat when its asking the GPU to stress harder under potentially already stressed conditions.. then take a note of the temp changes if any.. which apparently it did 50degs compared to 90degs sounds pretty substantial.

As for utilising his BIOS.. your of course assuming his board is new enough to have it built in and able to be manipulated... he needs to take a real look at the system.Question OP.. how old is your system, was it a bought in PC or was it a self build/upgrade.Also do you have issues with other applications (previously asked).

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Eeerm pretty sure tweaking your settings will reduce heat

Yes, but that's putting a band aid on it, not solving the actual issue. Why should you be forced to reduce graphics quality when you can instead make sure your card (and system as a whole) gets enough cooling to not run that hot in the first place?

@OP: Apart from proper GPU cooling via software, your case requires a fan in front and one on the side (next to your PCI slots) that suck air in, one on the back that blows it out (and, if possible to install in your case, also 1-2 on top that also blow the hot air out). Most BIOSes allow you to set your case fan speed to maximum. If not, there is third party software that can do it, but I would recommend the former option, if possible (i.e., via BIOS).

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I have 16GB of memory(7.90 USABLEProcessor AMD FX 8350 eight core processorSystem type window 7 operating systemI'm using an SSD TB but its a bit older one

He has already said what the card is as well as a couple of pics to show it.. its a Radeon XFX RX 580.. I took a look at the specs and it does tend to run a little bit hooter than other cards in its class/range but nothing substantial so unless the GPU is cooking due to bad heatsink I would say its down to a very poor system installation combined with possible overclocking and settings in game the card doesn't like.

BTW I never said the game settings were a fix.. I advised to take a long hard look at his cooling aspects and then go tweak settings - which do offer alleviance of heat when its asking the GPU to stress harder under potentially already stressed conditions.. then take a note of the temp changes if any.. which apparently it did 50degs compared to 90degs sounds pretty substantial.

As for utilising his BIOS.. your of course assuming his board is new enough to have it built in and able to be manipulated... he needs to take a real look at the system.Question OP.. how old is your system, was it a bought in PC or was it a self build/upgrade.Also do you have issues with other applications (previously asked).

How do I set up the BIOS with the video card I heard you can do that. I bought it from a computer store but I put upgrades in myself. They were installed by a computer guy. The Processor, memory, video card are not the same ones when I bought it. I just upgraded them one at a time as they came. The computer guy installed them.

I bought it in 2003. Everything on it is replaced including the case frame. It's not the original and the memory. Also each time I start up guild wars 2. It takes 30 minutes to an hour to repair the archive, it does it every single time. I assume that is not normal? should I unstall and reinstall it?

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I have 16GB of memory(7.90 USABLEProcessor AMD FX 8350 eight core processorSystem type window 7 operating systemI'm using an SSD TB but its a bit older one

How do I set up the BIOS with the video card I heard you can do that. I bought it from a computer store but I put upgrades in myself. They were installed by a computer guy. The Processor, memory, video card are not the same ones when I bought it. I just upgraded them one at a time as they came. The computer guy installed them.

I bought it in 2003. Everything on it is replaced including the case frame. It's not the original and the memory. Also each time I start up guild wars 2. It takes 30 minutes to an hour to repair the archive, it does it every single time. I assume that is not normal? should I unstall and reinstall it?

Definitely reinstall.. think I already said that somewhere but yes.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:I am not talking about free sync or gsync. I am talking about vsync. You can enable it at the bottom of the GW2 graphic settings

It says amd free sync not supported

we are talking about vsync not free sync

I just clicked that on. Not sure how much improvement. I'm hoping it will be a big one. I'm worried it will still run choppy.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I have 16GB of memory(7.90 USABLEProcessor AMD FX 8350 eight core processorSystem type window 7 operating systemI'm using an SSD TB but its a bit older one

Definitely reinstall.. think I already said that somewhere but yes.

I'll try that

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

Snip:. Processor AMD FX 8350 eight core processor

How did you get an 8 core processor into a 2003 Mobo? Not 100% sure but I don't think they were available then unless you meant 2013.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

How did you get an 8 core processor into a 2003 Mobo? Not 100% sure but I don't think they were available then unless you meant 2013.

I bought a computer in 2003. However I didn't buy that proesscer till much later. I mentioned how I upgraded the items, slowly, one at a time over time, The Ram, The case, video card, Processor. So really its not even same computer. I upgraded it one at a time.

By the way is that processor still good.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

I bought a computer in 2003. However I didn't buy that proesscer till much later. I mentioned how I upgraded the items, slowly, one at a time over time, The Ram, The case, video card, Processor. So really its not even same computer. I upgraded it one at a time.

Did you replace the motherboard also? The 8 core processor wasn't released until 2014. Here is an Intel article.https://www.google.com/amp/s/newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/intel-unleashes-its-first-8-core-desktop-processor/amp/#ampshare=https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/intel-unleashes-its-first-8-core-desktop-processor/

Without doing some research and what model Mobo you have, the 8 core shouldn't be compatible with a 2003 board let alone fit in the socket.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

Did you replace the motherboard also? The 8 core processor wasn't released until 2014. Here is an Intel article.

Without doing some research and what model Mobo you have, the 8 core shouldn't be compatible with a 2003 board let alone fit in the socket.

Yes as far as I am aware I upgraded the mother broad the same time I bought the processor. I bought them both at the same time. I often fight in large groups if that what zerging is.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

Yeah I took it that he meant 2013.. cos that graphics card likely wouldn't go into a 2003 M/B lety alone the processor :)

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I often fight in large groups if that what zerging is.

That's pretty stressful on a lot of people's computers. If you're constantly doing zerg stuff you might just want to turn down some settings. Coming from someone who knows very little about computers.

If you're curious, "zergs" refer to large groups of players and references Star Craft where the race 'the zerg' fight via sheer numbers.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:Now that we're working our way up, here are a few other questions. Can you find out the Mobo manufacturer and model? Next is, did you upgrade your power supply and what wattage rating is it?

Thankfully. I ordered all this on amazon. So I still have information just looking at my past orders.

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I might need a link to re-download those drivers and My computer guy said hes almost positive I have 500 watts

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I often fight in large groups if that what zerging is.

That's pretty stressful on a lot of people's computers. If you're constantly doing zerg stuff you might just want to turn down some settings. Coming from someone who knows very little about computers.

If you're curious, "zergs" refer to large groups of players and references Star Craft where the race 'the zerg' fight via sheer numbers.

It's just on my old card. I could play almost all day if I wanted, and It never got really hot or intense it was 780 Ge Force. I'm not used to how loud and hot it gets want be sure its not on my end.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:Now that we're working our way up, here are a few other questions. Can you find out the Mobo manufacturer and model? Next is, did you upgrade your power supply and what wattage rating is it?

Thankfully. I ordered all this on amazon. So I still have information just looking at my past orders.

I might need a link to re-download those drivers and My computer guy said hes almost positive I have 500 watts

Right off the bat with what you have 500 watts is bare minimum. I would suggest you should be around 850 minimum.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

Right off the bat with what you have 500 watts is bare minimum. I would suggest you should be around 850 minimum.

When GW2 crashes it says in the error "cannot read memory" really? I thought 500 was high

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

When GW2 crashes it says in the error "cannot read memory" really? I thought 500 was high

I'm running Intel 4 core with Radeon vid card, 16gb of ramm, Windows 7 is on a standard Seagate hd, GW2 is on a separate SSD. I'm running an 1100 watt psu. I have 10 fans in my case. I never could do liquid cooling mixed with electricity thing. My wife actually told me the power meter outside speeds up every time I play, lol.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

I'm running Intel 4 core with Radeon vid card, 16gb of ramm, Windows 7 is on a standard Seagate hd, GW2 is on a separate SSD. I'm running an 1100 watt psu. I have 10 fans in my case. I never could do liquid cooling mixed with electricity thing. My wife actually told me the power meter outside speeds up every time I play, lol.

What power supply do I need? It sounds like awful lot though to run a computer.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

lols ..

1100watt does sound overkill depending on your card I guess but working in Nuclear, I could have a word and come to some arrangement :)

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

For your setup.. 750watt would be nice.. probably fine with 550watt.. or 250000 very well fed hamsters

Note - my rule of thumb.. don't scrimp on the quality of your PSU - cheap doesn't tend to work out well .. look for PSU's that delivers truepower gold certified preferably... power aside.. think quality.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

Its more about delivering a smooth consistent power to the components on demand.. GPU's under load tend to be hungry animals.. (ok no more hamster jokes or the WWF might be calling at my door looking for my stash of them :) )

Archived