"Faster Than Light" achievement bugged?

This is how it's supposed to work:

However, at step two, when you press the 90° blue rotator, it doesn't just rotate 90° like in the video but also places the entry portal there, which messes everything up and has you do additional steps. Therefore, it is undoable in 35 seconds!

Or am I missing something?

• 4 months later...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

However, at step two, when you press the 90° blue rotator, it doesn't just rotate 90° like in the video but also places the entry portal there, which messes everything up and has you do additional steps. Therefore, it is undoable in 35 seconds!

Was there anyone else in the room with you? I ask because when I did it, I thought it was bugged but other people were also pulling it in different directions... I would turn it where I needed the exit portal and someone would move the controller resulting in the entry and exit at the same spot. I am just going to wait until later for that one as there were and are too many ppl.

@Zushada.6108 said:

Was there anyone else in the room with you? I ask because when I did it, I thought it was bugged but other people were also pulling it in different directions... I would turn it where I needed the exit portal and someone would move the controller resulting in the entry and exit at the same spot. I am just going to wait until later for that one as there were and are too many ppl.

The firing mechanism is instanced specifically to you. You can see the other people but it doesn't turn for you when they turn it and it doesn't fire for you when they fire it. You might do it at the same time as them so it seems like they're turning it when you try turning it but that isn't the case. If it were the portals would have to be globally visible for everyone so when one person solved it everyone else would, too, and that'd rather defeat the purpose of a puzzle-achievement.

I've been sitting in there watching the Dulfy video, watching other people do it, and experimenting myself. I was eventually able to do it but I had to do so a completely different way than the Dulfy video because for Dulfy it glitched. It didn't fire the exit portal like it should have in step two. You can see the turret do the firing animation but nothing happened. That bug has since been fixed or is, at least, not as common now and it fires like it's supposed to.

So I can say with absolute certainty other people do NOT move your version of the turret or your portals. They may if they're in a party, I haven't tried that, but I've been in there for a couple hours watching and experimenting and have had multiple people come through and not once did the turret move or fire for me nor did the portals move for me when someone else was pressing the buttons, it only does so for them.

If you happen to log out then log back in or change instances then everything resets, which is handy if you're trying to get the achievement and yours actually fires in step two and doesn't glitch like it did for Dulfy. I ultimately got the achievement but had to do things differently than Dulfy did because my turret worked as intended in part two and fired the entrance portal when it moved instead of just playing the shooting animation.

Archived