Rugged Leather and Linen Cloth

When the new changes were announced for the gathering tools, pretty much my first thought was what that would mean for these two resources. As I move towards getting all of my toons decked out in ascended gear, these are the ones that I'm constantly short of, and the ones that are the most expensive on the TP. Now suddenly everyone is going to have a free means of generating one of them, which should mean a whole lot more of them appearing on the TP. Which should then result in the price dropping a fair bit, before it settles down to a price significantly lower than where it was before the change.

Instead, what do I see? The prices for BOTH going up (the Rugged Leather more than Linen). Steadily, constantly, over an extended period of time the price keeps going up.

How can this be happening? How can improving the means of generating a resource, that results in MORE of that resource being available (without any increase in demand) result in a price increase? Is someone rich enough to be playing with this part of the TP? Or have I missed something? I am utterly confused by this.

@Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:When the new changes were announced for the gathering tools, pretty much my first thought was what that would mean for these two resources. As I move towards getting all of my toons decked out in ascended gear, these are the ones that I'm constantly short of, and the ones that are the most expensive on the TP. Now suddenly everyone is going to have a free means of generating one of them, which should mean a whole lot more of them appearing on the TP. Which should then result in the price dropping a fair bit, before it settles down to a price significantly lower than where it was before the change.

Instead, what do I see? The prices for BOTH going up (the Rugged Leather more than Linen). Steadily, constantly, over an extended period of time the price keeps going up.

How can this be happening? How can improving the means of generating a resource, that results in MORE of that resource being available (without any increase in demand) result in a price increase? Is someone rich enough to be playing with this part of the TP? Or have I missed something? I am utterly confused by this.

It's not that surprising, really. Most people spend their time harvesting in level 80 areas, so they generate a ton of the Tier 5 in comparison to the T4 The main thing to use it on is, of course, Ascended materials, which drives people to making more.

In short, while the supply for T4 materials has gone up, the demand for it increased at a higher rate as people are making use of the cheap T5 materials. Eventually the rush will slow down and more people will be target-farming the T4 materials, but I can't say for sure when this will be.

@Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:When the new changes were announced for the gathering tools, pretty much my first thought was what that would mean for these two resources. As I move towards getting all of my toons decked out in ascended gear, these are the ones that I'm constantly short of, and the ones that are the most expensive on the TP. Now suddenly everyone is going to have a free means of generating one of them, which should mean a whole lot more of them appearing on the TP. Which should then result in the price dropping a fair bit, before it settles down to a price significantly lower than where it was before the change.

A couple hours after the new gathering tools released I was hanging out in LA as I bought some of the new tools. What I heard there was that people were complaining about how seldom Hardened Leather was dropping from Node and all they were getting from Leatherworkers Tools was Thick Leather.In short they were all using the tools on level 80 nodes.

My personal Solution to Rugged Leather and Linen has been to use the new gathering tools in level appropriate Zones. I also have a level 50 Alt I do all my sPvP on. Those champ bags from reward tracks salvaged by a level 50 toon has helped the situation a lot. You may want to try saving drops and opening bags from whatever you do on a level 50 like the Silverwastes farmers do. It helps a lot when trying to kit up multiple toons in ascended.

Archived