[Need] Universal Currency converter

Korval.3751

I need Bandit Crests from Silverwastes and yet I'm sitting on a ton of currencies I don't need.

921 Spirit Shards1,849 Badges of Honor2,674 Airship parts3,833 Lumps of Aurillium20,430 Unbound Magic352 Flame Legion Charr Carvings204 Knowledge Crystals

It's not about time. It's about efficiency. It's not efficient to have so many unneeded or unused currencies. Please make this happen, Anet.

Did you see my currency numbers? They are not "lazy," and those are only the ones I decided to share.

I've already put in a ton of hours in Silverwastes when it came out and since. I need the Bandit Crests for "Recipe: Sinister Intricate Gossamer Insignia" so that I can change my gear to condition, power, precision damage for Firebrand. At the time I was going through the map and content I didn't need that recipe.

@Korval.3751 said:Did you see my currency numbers? They are not "lazy," and those are only the ones I decided to share.

I've already put in a ton of hours in Silverwastes when it came out and since. I need the Bandit Crests for "Recipe: Sinister Intricate Gossamer Insignia" so that I can change my gear to condition, power, precision damage for Firebrand. At the time I was going through the map and content I didn't need that recipe.

I deinstalled my game, otherwise I would post mine.Especially when it comes to the silverwastes it's very clear: Play it = you get the currency for rewards = you get the rewards.You can't really complain that you didn't buy the recipe back then if you need it now - who would've known?

ETA: That's the case with everything: If you don't buy it you don't have it. If you realize sometimes in the future that you indeed need it it's your fault for not buying it when you could. So - back to the store.

Good job. I have somewhere around 5k - and I quit pretty much soon after I finally finished the meta, no idea how I did that.Different currencies like bandit crests are because something new comes out and veteran players would have an advantage, so everybody starts from scratch. You can argue that in a game with now around 60 maps there aren't enough players for every map, so metas can't be completed, but would that converting thingy really make the game better? For you for a moment, yes, but everybody would just farm whatever is easiest to farm and everything else would be abandoned.

It would make for a better game if currencies from legacy content older than a year could be converted into any other legacy currency, also older than a year. Silverwastes was introduced in pieces starting November 4, 2014. That's two years, ten months, and 20 days (almost 3 years old).

The original game had very few currencies: gold, karma, dungeon tokens, wvw tokens, pvp tokens. A lot of players didn't like this for a variety of reasons:

• It meant everything that wasn't dungeon/karma dependent could be acquired simply by acquiring gold, including gem→gold conversion. Some feel this devalues their personal effort.
  • Similarly others feel that this removes the value of playing different content. If all content rewards the same currency, then people will just go where it's most efficient.
  • It reduces replayability for some — it's the reason why some return to various maps.

It's interesting to me that ANet considered this and offers only very limited currency conversion even for HoT: there's a single converter that can only convert 25 units of each currency to 10 of another. That makes it barely worth using if you prefer one zone more than the others, but not enough to allow you to avoid the other zones.

Myself, I prefer a gold standard for MMO economies. I like the idea that it's entirely my choice how I earn enough to get the things I want. All the same, I recognize that might not be the best for the game. If there are going to be multiple currencies, then it makes little sense for them to be easily and efficiently converted.

The different currencies are there so you have to play the related content to get the rewards, you can't simply farm gold in whatever spot is easiest currently and then buy everything you need. It helps to keep players spread out instead of all focusing on a few popular farming spots. Adding the ability to convert them easily would defeat the point of having them.

@Korval.3751 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The original game had very few currencies: gold, karma, dungeon tokens, wvw tokens, pvp tokens. A lot of players didn't like this for a variety of reasons:

No it wasn't. You're also forgetting undedicated Minis and Ectos; which, at the time, was THE desired currency for trades.

I think he meant core/base/'vanilla' GW2, since GW1 had no dungeon tokens, and WvW didn't exist at all.

@Danikat.8537 said:The different currencies are there so you have to play the related content to get the rewards, you can't simply farm gold in whatever spot is easiest currently and then buy everything you need. It helps to keep players spread out instead of all focusing on a few popular farming spots. Adding the ability to convert them easily would defeat the point of having them.

@Korval.3751 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The original game had very few currencies: gold, karma, dungeon tokens, wvw tokens, pvp tokens. A lot of players didn't like this for a variety of reasons:

No it wasn't. You're also forgetting undedicated Minis and Ectos; which, at the time, was THE desired currency for trades.

I think he meant core/base/'vanilla' GW2, since GW1 had no dungeon tokens, and WvW didn't exist at all.

Typically "The original game" to me means GW1. My bad if GW2 was implied.

Make all currencies exchangeable for a single new currency. One way exchange. Exchange rates could vary to balance for difficulty of acquisition of each currency (1:2 or 2:1 etc). This could be used for non-sell-able items too to reduce clutter. This new currency could be accumulated to exchange for certain future items at reasonable exchange rates. Possible base exchange items could be experience points, Hero points, mastery points, select skins or mini-pets, special event items, etc..

Archived