The Great Staff Rework Project

Blacklight.6127

Necro Staff is literally the most boring weapon in the entire game, bar none, by a huge margin. You could teach a child how to use staff, it is literally just a very basic flowchart of what to do with almost no meaningful thought. On top of that, it is an incredibly boring and underpowered weapon that would never see use if not for the fact that it has nothing to compete with and "wins" by default.

I support any effort to make it a decent, modern weapon. Give it more than one ability type, thoughtful support/utility, literally anything fun, for the love of Grenth.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Warscythes.9307 said:staff is fundamentally underwhelming with a conflicting purpose in design.

lol and how will tweaking numbers not fix the underwhelming. also what is conflicting?i agree its a boring pick but there are more important problems.

It is underwhelming because it is a weapon that does not know what is suppose to do.

You can look at a Necro axe and is obvious that it is a power damage weapon. Torch? Off hand condi.

Staff doesn't have that. Is definitely not a power weapon as it has terrible coefficients. Is not a condi weapon because the amount of damage condi it does is really low. Is it an utility weapon? That's probably the closest the weapon comes down to but it still doesn't really offer enough to be a good support/utility weapon.

So why are the numbers so low? Why not just buff them? Because 4 out of 5 weapons is a giant range AoE that has no counter. So the amount of things it does has to be weak. You can't have really large AoE do anything particularly strong or it will be annoying as hell to fight against. Case in point Scourges with the large shade talent.

That's pretty much it. For staff to be a good weapon, they need to first decide what it should be. If is a power weapon a condi weapon or a support/utility weapon. Then rebalance there. Otherwise having 4 huge aoe as skills will mean the abilities themselves has to be weak and boring to play with.

As for priority? Sure I agree staff is not the biggest problem necro has. I'd argue that to be how life force generation is currently functioning and how it creates a feast or famine situation. Next would be making a viable power necro spec in pve and maybe work on staff after that. It is however definitely something they should look at eventually.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@"Warscythes.9307" said:staff is fundamentally underwhelming with a conflicting purpose in design.

lol and how will tweaking numbers not fix the underwhelming. also what is conflicting?i agree its a boring pick but there are more important problems.

Open up a spreadsheet and put "2" in a cell.

Now delete it and put 20 in a cell.

Congratulations, you just made $THING overpowered.

This is why it makes no sense to focus on numbers when the core design is garbage. You get a fun and interesting design, THEN you adjust the numbers.

To further illustrate Warscythes.9307's point. Imagine if instead of adding 1% damage per stack of vulnerability it added 10%. Or 100%. Reaper goes from "Eh, not very good" to overpowered with a couple of keystrokes. The Core Design is that Reaper gets extra bonus from stacks of Vulnerability. The Number is whether it is 1%, 10%, 100% or 1.5% or whatever.

The problem with staff has always been that it generates good "numbers" and is the default secondary for all builds, but it so boring and uninteresting that it would never be a primary weapon. So the underlying problem is the Core Design, not The Numbers.

TL;DR: Core Design >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "The Numbers"

• 3 weeks later...

Archived