Magebane Tether is why Spellbreaker's damage sucks.

Oglaf.1074

Never before have I

1. Seen a class so easily achieve and stay at 25 Might stacks.
  2. Seen a class do soooo little damage at 25 Might stacks.

To me it would seem obvious that Anet were terrified of what this could potentially do and as such dumpstered Dagger damage through the ground. However, they went way too far:

2-3k critcical hits using Ferocity-boosting traits, Exotic Berserker armour with Ascended Berserker Dagger and Accessories - at 25 Might.

It's a PS bot that will never be used as a PS bot, because other specs can stack might easily AND deal a ton of damage, making them simply superior.

However, the one that is superior to all of them is cPS, which is still a Warrior spec. That's why I highly doubt we'll ever see buffs to the dps of the Spellbreaker, unless cPS itself gets destroyed first. The devs have no incentive to making Spellbreaker better in PvE when Warriors already have a good alternative.

I'm still holding on to the hope of at least a buff to the Dagger auto-attack chain. As I said, it seems quite obvious to me that they were worried what perma-25 Might stacks might be able to do so they preemptively knee-capped Dagger damage prior to launch. However, now post-launch we all have come face-to-face withthe reality that even at 25 Might stacks you see Dagger underperform in comparison to other weapons such as the Axe.

I hope Anet sees reason here.

Magebane Tether isn't the reason. Power warrior has poor sustained DPS but high burst damage. If you compare daggers to great sword, you will see that they just halved the values on the auto attack. Combine no secondary damage sourced and poor auto attack and Power warrior will always be weak in structured PvE. Warrior power weapons need a 20% DPS increase across the board.

@Mikeskies.1536 said:Magebane Tether isn't the reason. Power warrior has poor sustained DPS but high burst damage. If you compare daggers to great sword, you will see that they just halved the values on the auto attack. Combine no secondary damage sourced and poor auto attack and Power warrior will always be weak in structured PvE. Warrior power weapons need a 20% DPS increase across the board.

Who is talking about Power Warrior here? We're specifically talking about Spellbreaker and yes, when you look at the Might upkeep it is capable of, it is very likely they kneecapped the damage because of it.

@Lighter.5631 said:clearly you dont know whats a necro

A class that still does more damage than Spellbreaker?

Necro is one of the three classes I mainly play, and while it doesn't have a spot in endgame pve currently, it's definitely not because of lack of damage.More because of lack of useful support to bring along with the dps.

But that's beside the point - this is the Warrior subforum and this is a discussion of Spellbreaker's viability in PvE, let's stick to the subject.We really don't need Necro QQs to spill into other subforums as well.

@Zeghart.9841 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:clearly you dont know whats a necro

A class that still does more damage than Spellbreaker?

Necro is one of the three classes I mainly play, and while it doesn't have a spot in endgame pve currently, it's definitely not because of lack of damage.More because of lack of useful support to bring along with the dps.

But that's beside the point - this is the Warrior subforum and this is a discussion of Spellbreaker's viability in PvE, let's stick to the subject.We
really
don't need Necro QQs to spill into other subforums as well.

@Oglaf.1074 said:Never before have I
  1. Seen a class so easily achieve and stay at 25 Might stacks.

Okay, I understand that warrior is already weak but why do you want to buff spellbreaker?Not only does warrior require much more buffs to its core traitlines and weapons, but most people do not want to be using daggers and level 2 bursts on warrior.I'm certain that the majority of warrior players would prefer to use berserker with greatsword or axes ._.

But I do agree that spellbreaker is still way too trash in PvE. . . my hope is that it doesn't become the main power warrior traitline. . . or at least daggers. . .

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Mikeskies.1536 said:Magebane Tether isn't the reason. Power warrior has poor sustained DPS but high burst damage. If you compare daggers to great sword, you will see that they just halved the values on the auto attack. Combine no secondary damage sourced and poor auto attack and Power warrior will always be weak in structured PvE. Warrior power weapons need a 20% DPS increase across the board.

Who is talking about Power Warrior here? We're specifically talking about Spellbreaker and yes, when you look at the Might upkeep it is capable of, it is very likely they kneecapped the damage because of it.

How so? Spellbreaker's DPS is the same as Power Berserker's DPS is the same as Power Warrior's DPS (give or take). Spellbreaker is a PvP-oriented spec and performs quite well in that role. When I did some DPS testing, I was actually surprised I could do more than 20k DPS as Spellbreaker on the training golem. Dagger auto chain is a half the damage of Greatsword auto chain and has half the cast time, i.e. Dagger auto chain deals more damage than Greatsword auto chain. The problem isn't a Spellbreaker problem. The problem is a general Power Warrior one in a PvE setting, and that is of sustained DPS. Fix the sustained DPS problem for all Power builds, fix Spellbreaker.

Dagger is a controlled-damage weapon. Greatsword is a mobility-damage weapon. Axe is a sustained-damage weapon. All three are capable of doing solid burst damage. But, even Axe, which provides the highest DPS, cannot break 25k DPS. The solution needs to buff power weapon DPS and/or add more damage modifiers in a way that doesn't totally break PvP (e.g. 10% damage increase to weapons, 10% damage modifier in Tactics (i.e. replace the revival/healing minor traits), boost the damage modifiers in Berserker by 10%, add a 10% damage modifier to Spellbreaker, redesign some utilities, etc.).

After playing with it it seems like I've seen my biggest damage spikes on Spellbreaker (not counting core warrior) with full counter, which is gimmicky. If you want to let it hit somewhat consistent (because PoF LOVES its blinds) you have to put resistance on yourself first or trait revenge counter. Then you have to make sure you time the enemies skills properly which is going to be a learning curve. And if you're fighting a boss with a breakbar you can't even use your biggest damage dealer when the bar is broken unless another enemy is hitting you. I did start out PoF trying to use magebane tether but ended up using revenge counter because it didn't feel like I was getting enough value out of magebane tether (PvP it might be another story). The daggers have been fun to play but yes definitely need a damage boost...I swear my mace auto attack does more DPS.

@Banzie.5248 said:

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:And for WvW I still mainly see it only played on small scale things, you give up too much survivability just so you can bring Winds of Disenchantment.

This, The choice for WvW so far has been Hammer & Sword/Shield. S/Sh can be swapped or GS play as well.

As a spellbreaker?

Edit:What trait lines are you taking?

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

@Banzie.5248 said:

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:And for WvW I still mainly see it only played on small scale things, you give up too much survivability just so you can bring Winds of Disenchantment.

This, The choice for WvW so far has been Hammer & Sword/Shield. S/Sh can be swapped or GS play as well.

As a spellbreaker?

Edit:What trait lines are you taking?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQJARSnMdAF7iVhAehAM7ilfAD52d4qBGPgAwRDvJ/kryA-jlSGQBKSlC7dIAAk6KkRXgEVCWQlfwY/hF8AAAwFA4eHBASBE4QL-w

Last I knew this is what we were gonna raid with come the 30th for Spellbreaker, some of the traits may have changed on the other two lines, but i know Spellbreakers are set for that. S/Sh provides you the leap/immob grouping as well as survivability. GS just provides greater damage if you're having no issues catching a group out in CCs

Archived