Whats the point of being rating protected with AFKs but not during placement?

Novuake.2691

Whats the point of being rating protected with AFKs but not during placement?

Ive had 2 of 6 games with AFKs during placements. Last season I got placed silver because of this kind of BS and had to work my way up to Platinum again.

How is this even a thing?

Restarting this process every season is whats ruining this game for me.

More importantly, placements need to stop being a full reset.

I too have gotten unlucky with placements before a couple times, despite also being in platinum. The result is always the same problem.

1. I start out in high silver or gold 1
  2. Since I don't belong there, I proceed to completely steamroll and win 85% of my games until I reach at least 1400+.

This is bad for both me and the players in silver/low gold. I don't really want to be there because I don't really enjoy easymode wins. The other team probably doesn't want me to be there because my main ( Revenant ) is actually extremely oppressive/unfair when the rev player is 1500+ and the enemy team is silvers. Silvers generally have slow reaction speed, so a Rev can just use phase traverse to quickly zip around the map and farm people before they even know how they are dying. A little known fact is that when no one knows how to properly counter Rev, it's actually just as broken as Mesmer.

Placements seem to put everyone at 1200 rating and then factor 50 or so rating for each win. What they really should do, is start players off slightly below their previous rating from last season, then factor 20 for each win. I've seen players who are rated higher then me, like plat 3 top 30 players, get placed in bronze because of trolls. That should never happen.

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:More importantly, placements need to stop being a full reset.

I too have gotten unlucky with placements before a couple times, despite also being in platinum. The result is always the same problem.

2. Since I don't belong there, I proceed to completely steamroll and win 85% of my games until I reach at least 1400+.

This is bad for both me and the players in silver/low gold. I don't really want to be there because I don't really enjoy easymode wins. The other team probably doesn't want me to be there because my main ( Revenant ) is actually extremely oppressive/unfair when the rev player is 1500+ and the enemy team is silvers. Silvers generally have slow reaction speed, so a Rev can just use phase traverse to quickly zip around the map and farm people before they even know how they are dying. A little known fact is that when no one knows how to properly counter Rev, it's actually just as broken as Mesmer.

Placements seem to put everyone at 1200 rating and then factor 50 or so rating for each win. What they really should do, is start players off slightly below their previous rating from last season, then factor 20 for each win. I've seen players who are rated higher then me, like plat 3 top 30 players, get placed in bronze because of trolls. That should never happen.

They don't do hard resets. They do soft resets each season.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:More importantly, placements need to stop being a full reset.

Not to mention that convergence is typically around 8-10 games in glicko, so ... coincidentally about the end of placement. Worst case, it's double the number, though that should be unlikely. (Though, no doubt, that is bad placement for you, and you should have been placed higher -- and you are quite right it isn't a great experience for either side when that happens.)

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:

That's the claim, but reality doesn't seem to match up. How else can you end up with a -400 rating from losing 6 games? That's a pretty hard difference for a "Soft" reset.

It’s even worse when you’re out of town 2 weeks before end of season and decay 2 full leagues, feel bad for these poor bastards I’m getting stuck against atm.

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:They don't do hard resets. They do soft resets each season.That's the claim, but reality doesn't seem to match up. How else can you end up with a -400 rating from losing 6 games? That's a pretty hard difference for a "Soft" reset.

Well, don't forget that you also have the maximum amount of volatility at that time, so your MMR changes are going to be the largest they ever will be...

• 2 weeks later...

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:Placements seem to put everyone at 1200 rating and then factor 50 or so rating for each win. What they really should do, is start players off slightly below their previous rating from last season, then factor 20 for each win. I've seen players who are rated higher then me, like plat 3 top 30 players, get placed in bronze because of trolls. That should never happen.

It is a soft reset. (Your rating + 1200)/2.

What messes up your rating is the volatility you start with. Your first couple matches have a big influence. As an example, I created a plot of the matches of two players. Both start at the default rating, both go 6-4, but have very different final rating. I tried to make each player have matches against opponents that were at a similar rating to what they were at when they did placements. The bars on the graph represent the 95% confidence interval of the players rating, (2*deviation).enD6MtM.pnga7wjBUo.png

@Durzlla.6295 said:

That's the claim, but reality doesn't seem to match up. How else can you end up with a -400 rating from losing 6 games? That's a pretty hard difference for a "Soft" reset.

It’s even worse when you’re out of town 2 weeks before end of season and decay 2 full leagues, feel bad for these poor bastards I’m getting stuck against atm.

Decay does not affect your matchmaking, only badge color and leaderboard location.

@Faux Play.6104 said:

Decay does not affect your matchmaking, only badge color and leaderboard location.

Really? Could’ve fooled me.

Archived