Worst designed kit? Has to be bomb kit.

Rise.8259

@coro.3176 said:

@Tehologist.5841 said:Now there's not really much point 'cause all you need to do is get vaguely near the enemy and Photon Forge 3,5,1,1,1 oh look everything is dead.

So much this, most of the Kits, if not all of them, have been left behind, for instance Tool Kit used to be a pretty good option in sPvP, but nowadays it's pure garbage because how much power creep the game has seen and how little tweaking most vanilla skills received.

What's the point of taking those under-performing options when you can just faceroll in Photon Forge and kill everything, or when other classes can faceroll and kill you immediately.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toolkit has the potential to be good. Magnet is interesting, Autoattack chain can repair turrets, which would be great if turrets were worth repairing. Gear shield is a block, which is a solid foundation, but it might be missing a little gadget on top. Box o' Nails has minor zoning potential and the crowbar could be good if the confusion were replaced by a stun. Throw wrench is thematic, if forgettable.The big problem with the toolkit is, that it was designed and released dependent on the health of turrets, which were nerfed to oblivion and it has too little damage to make it attractive on its own merit, besides Magnet, which is interesting. There have been several minor buffs to the toolkit, but so far that wasn't sufficient in making the toolkit worth picking over something else.If you bring turrets and want to build your own personal killzone, then toolkit might be worth it, if your turrets were able to provide said killzone. I could even see you pulling an enemy into your turrets with Magnet in theory, but in practice your enemy will just kill your turrets.

Bomb kit on the other hand has a very simple design. You drop one of five different flavours of bombs, one is a normal high explosive device that deals pretty nice damage, two is a fire field, which is useful in might stacking, three is a confusion bomb, four a smoke field for stealth potential and five can cripple, or immobilize. It is versatile, simple and the numbers kinda check out. Maybe it doesn't do five things at once, but the bomb kit kinda works.The only downside is that many kits can't decide if they want to be condi or power damage focused, which leads to the awkward "master of none position" for many kits.

The problem with many kits is a core problem with the engineer class. Turrets and toolkit look like a good option, but sometime before release someone decided that he doesn't want that style of play to be rewarded with success. Which lead to core engineer rotations being a string of cherry picked and sorted 'good skills' from a vast pool of, well, not so good skills, which looks to me like that someone is a different person from the original designer of the engineer class.

Bomb kit's execution is behind the times because most of the new over world enemies in the expansions either have better foot speed to keep up, or they have any number of stomps, knockbacks, knock downs, pulls etc. to derail you from simply kiting with it. Many of the enemies are elites or veterans that are going to outlast or out-damage you to punish you for just standing still and dropping bomblets. That's just PvE- the mode most too cool for school gw2 players love to call 'stupid' or 'mindless' or 'it-doesn't-matter-what-you-do-you-win' mode.

Shift to competitive modes - once anyone with half a brain sees you carrying the birthday cake of doom they either stay at range, side step the easily avoidable bombs, or come in with their own stomps and ruin your day in a trice. Daredevils and Scourges are particularly fun for that

Yes, bomb kit is simple but so is rifle- and as much as rifle currently sucks at least it's got twelve hundred range and net shot will fire behind you at a chasing enemy. Bomb kit just ensures you have a boot print on your backside when you're revived. It needs to do more than kind of work.

Sad thing is - apart from Holo and bits of the revamped Med Kit -'kind of works' could and should be applied to Engineers overall.

That's a bad thing.

Dont expect any buffs to any of the utility kits. If they buff any of them, they buff multi-kit builds.

This is the problem with kits being slotabble together. They all affect each other indirectly because you can slot them altogether. If they were exclusive, then Anet to balance to the individual kit. Without exclusion, a buff to one of them is a buff to all of them, so to speak.

Bomb Kit was very useful at choke points in WvW conflicts back when our bomb kit had the Elixir Infused trait to heal you and allies for every bomb that went off . Since that trait's removal though, it's been downgraded to a cheesy PvE kite kit for dumb AI that just run in circles and take damage from the trail of bombs you leave behind. Not the most engaging gameplay, but I remember winning a lot of difficult content solo using that trick.

When I look at some of the engineer skills, I feel that they were more or less trying to pay homage to classic games and movies, then trying to figure out a way to make it work in GW2. Bomb Kit in particular pays homage to the classic game Bomberman. I don't personally see how they're going to fix that with the power creep of new elites. My belief is that "out with the old, in with the new" helps to pay their bills. When the next expansion is released, I'm pretty sure our tier 3 elite is going to supplant holosmith.

Archived