What is the point of the agony mechanic?

FizCap.6573

14 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

(or at least make it account-wide), and said that they didn't do it only because they didn't know how to do that without invalidating all prior investment of players that already stocked up on infusions (and affecting the economy of all the infusions that are already on the market).

Account-wide agony does exist, it goes up to a maximum of 40 currently

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, but it is a separate system. The comments were about often mentioned idea of changing the current system to account-wide.

Um... maybe I'm missing something, but none of the comments you responded to were about that?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

AR, where game forces you to learn encounters so by the time you hit Tier 4 you ain't floor wipe

Except that's not what the game does. AR is a standard stat for PvE infusions. You can just play DRMs or the most recent meta event, notice that you're swimming in Tyrian Defense Seals and deck yourself out with AR that way. No "learning of the basics required" which does beg the question: if it's not there to force people to get acquainted with the mechanics then what's the point of having it?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Except that's not what the game does. AR is a standard stat for PvE infusions. You can just play DRMs or the most recent meta event, notice that you're swimming in Tyrian Defense Seals and deck yourself out with AR that way. No "learning of the basics required" which does beg the question: if it's not there to force people to get acquainted with the mechanics then what's the point of having it?

Except that IS what the game does. And how are you "decking yourself out with AR" through drms? Repeatedly buying stoneskin? If someone would rather grind drms to get the infusions that -rather inefficient- way just so they can skip directly to higher tiers (considering someone will keep bothering inviting them, because they won't have access to higher tier lfg anyways) then best wishes and have fun with that. That path really seems like taking a long way around for... what reason exactly? Worse rewards than they'd get from fractals? Not learning fractals right from the lower tiers, where they follow naturally laid out progression path? Still not having access to t2-4 lfg despite wanting to play them?

It's like people claiming tutorial is bad because it can be skipped or clicked through without reading. If someone makes a choice to do this to themselves, then that's exactly their choice and nothing else.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Except that IS what the game does.

At this point you're just reaching for straws, if you can "skip it" then the game, per definition, does not "force you to learn encounters". Every claim to the contrary is just factually wrong.

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Repeatedly buying stoneskin?

That's not even possible as there is a buy limit of one for the Deldrimor Stoneskin Infusion, what you can do however if "you're swimming in Tyrian Defense Seals" is to buy the supply crates and sell the materials at wich point getting the about 66 gold required to buy infusions for 150 AR is just a triviality and similar things apply to pretty much every other recourse people tend to build up over time by doing whatever.

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tails.9372 said:

At this point you're just reaching for straws, if you can "skip it" then the game, per definition, does not "force you to learn encounters". Every claim to the contrary is just factually wrong.

Oh, so it's specifically about the words "forces you" -sure, it might not really "force you", but it is its intented role here. If you can skip tutorial, it still doesn't mean tutorial isn't meant to teach you.

That's not even possible as there is a buy limit of one for the Deldrimor Stoneskin Infusion, what you can do however if "you're swimming in Tyrian Defense Seals" is to buy the supply crates and sell the materials at wich point getting the about 66 gold required to buy infusions for 150 AR is just a triviality.

So mentioning specifically drms or seals had nothing to do with it, because what you've meant is just "you can farm gold however you want", which I pretty much already wrote about that in the response to you on the previous page: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/41691-what-is-the-point-of-the-agony-mechanic/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-1455785 .  For now this remains the same though: for... what reason exactly? Worse rewards than they'd get from fractals? Not learning fractals right from the lower tiers, where they follow naturally laid out progression path? Still not having access to t2-4 lfg despite wanting to play them?

If you think you can skip something and specifically want to go out of your way to do it, then go do it. Anyone else can start at the beginning and learn fractals from t1 while at the same time getting resources needed to participate in higher tiers. What's the issue here?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

so it's specifically about...

Yes, my response stands in context of what I was replying to. That much should be a given.

7 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

tutorial ... What's the issue here?

I guess the "issue here" would be you trying to go off topic as the premise of the tread is "What is the point of the agony mechanic?" and not "Why players new to fractals shouldn't skip T1.".

• Confused 2

42 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

I guess the "issue here" would be you trying to go off topic as the premise of the tread is "What is the point of the agony mechanic?" and not "Why players new to fractals shouldn't skip T1.".

I'm still talking about agony, which is directly related to fractal tiers. It's not offtopic just because you don't like what you read. Now feel free to point out what's the issue with what I wrote above.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm still talking about agony, which is directly related to fractal tiers. It's not offtopic just because you don't like what you read.

No, but it's off-topic because it has no relevance to the topic of the thread nor the post you replied to as your "tutorial" analogy doesn't apply to the agony mechanic and only actually makes sense in context of what I mentioned above which, again, is off-topic.

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Now feel free to point out what's the issue with what I wrote above.

The simple fact that it doesn't apply to what you're responding to. Your whole thing of "Why play X to get the resources needed to play high level fractals when you could play low level fractals to get them instead?" is completely meaningless as I said that they're already a given so the actually relevant question here would be "Why stick with the low level fractals when you could just rush to the significantly more profitable high level fractals instead?" which ofc. would be a topic for another thread.

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Confused 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:21 PM, FizCap.6573 said:

Just seems like a lazy way to have players grind for gold just so they don't get one shot by a boss. I wouldn't have a problem with it if all agony could be dodged, but some bosses force you into agony and you have no way to avoid it which is just stupid, people will say they like agony progression and all that weak argument kitten, but in a game sense it literally makes no sense to have an agony system.

It is to basically replicate the gear treadmill in other MMOs - for the players who enjoy grinding from +1 to +2 to +3 etcetera, only to be in the exact same place relative to the mobs.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 8:19 AM, Tails.9372 said:

No, but it's off-topic because it has no relevance to the topic of the thread nor the post you replied to as your "tutorial" analogy doesn't apply to the agony mechanic and only actually makes sense in context of what I mentioned above which, again, is off-topic.

??

My response saying what's the intended role of that system is literally a direct response to the question posed by the title of this thread ("what is the point of the agony mechanic?"). As I already said: it's not offtopic just because you don't like what you read. Feel free to go back to the previous posts if you want to actually respond to anything. Otherwise stop repeating it's offtopic -what I said there has a clear and direct connection to the thread itself.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3