Its time to perma link or merge servers.

Earlywood.7438

While I agree wholeheartedly on the continuity part, it still makes it hard to grow the server and recruit for our guilds when we still have mega-servers for Lions Arch and all other PvE zone instances where there are multiple servers represented. Ideally the permalinks or mergers for WvW purposes should be mirrored on the PvE zones as well, or at least in Lions Arch. Also, I would give things another month or so, as the PoF release has really done a number on reducing our WvW populations with people out playing and unlocking new skills, recipes, armors, etc. in PoF, so any population numbers Anet might use as of today could be substantially different in a month or so as people return to WvW on a full-time basis.

What is the problem you hope to address by permanently linking worlds? It's actually easier for ANet to rebalance matchups with linkages because they have more options. If worlds A-F have pops of 120, 110, 100, 60, 50, 40, then there's only one 'fair' match up every week. AvBvC and DvEvF. By linking D-F with G-I (@40, 40, 40), it's possible to get six opponents with roughly the same population.

The downside is obvious: it's harder on the linked worlds to be proactively involved, it's harder for certain types of guilds to recruit. That seems a small price to pay for avoiding completely stale match ups week in and week out.

Further there are fundamental problems that permanent merging/linking won't affect, including bandwagoning, long-term stability, attrition affecting each world differently, and generally the long-term health of WvW.

tl;dr merging will make things look better for a month; after that , things will revert or even be worse than before since the fundamental issues will remain.

Relinks are pretty bad. I hope arena net makes another poll to to perma link / merge or even create new servers. If you are on a guest server that gets linked with really bad host server it's just not fun playing for 2 months and that's a long period of time.

I am on anvil rock currently linked with HoD which is hands the worst server. Since the relinks I haven't played much at all because it's just not fun. Get rid of linking please.

Archived