Rune of trapper sometimes no stealth for viper's nest

If some of you remember, this rune functions in the same way Superior Rune of Lyssa used to with a slight delay on the 6th effect:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Lyssa(Look in the "Notes" section)

This meant there would be approximately 1 second delay between the effect triggered until it applied, essentialy it had a "cast time" that could be interrupted yielding no benefit or you could enter downstate before it manifested.

Meaning since the trapper rune's 6th bonus also functions like a regular skill with it's own cast time, self-interrupting actions will cancel the effect. Lately the developers have even added the priority functionality to several skills, so that when they are pressed they will cancel your current action in order to instantly channel. A dodge for instance will interrupt your casting of any skill that isn't instantaneous (dodging is technically a 0,75s channel), while most stunbreaks and heals will have that same funcionality - both traits and skills likewise.

Another possible interrupt is weaponswap, as it cancel any and all casts whether it be utilities, weapon or elite skills.

The reason for the delay is simply for the client to confirm the trap has been succesfully placed, which is why the wording goes "when using a trap skill" instead of "upon using a trap skill" like Superior Rune of Vampirism's 6th proc for instance:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Vampirism

Lastly, if your client is lagging or your ping is high there is a chance it will register the action too late and simply ignore it, as skills take priority over rune procs. I have not yet experienced the rune bug out, so I don't believe that' a cause however it could be a bug limited to the ranger trap in question - in that case your best bet would be to make a post on it in the "Bug" section of this very forum and in game if you can replicate it consistently. Remember to include as much information as possible to increase their chances of finding it and it should be corrected in no time.

@"rng.1024" said:If some of you remember, this rune functions in the same way Superior Rune of Lyssa used to with a slight delay on the 6th effect:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Lyssa(Look in the "Notes" section)

This meant there would be approximately 1 second delay between the effect triggered until it applied, essentialy it had a "cast time" that could be interrupted yielding no benefit or you could enter downstate before it manifested.

Meaning since the trapper rune's 6th bonus also functions like a regular skill with it's own cast time, self-interrupting actions will cancel the effect. Lately the developers have even added the priority functionality to several skills, so that when they are pressed they will cancel your current action in order to instantly channel. A dodge for instance will interrupt your casting of any skill that isn't instantaneous (dodging is technically a 0,75s channel), while most stunbreaks and heals will have that same funcionality - both traits and skills likewise.

Another possible interrupt is weaponswap, as it cancel any and all casts whether it be utilities, weapon or elite skills.

The reason for the delay is simply for the client to confirm the trap has been succesfully placed, which is why the wording goes "when using a trap skill" instead of "upon using a trap skill" like Superior Rune of Vampirism's 6th proc for instance:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Vampirism

Lastly, if your client is lagging or your ping is high there is a chance it will register the action too late and simply ignore it, as skills take priority over rune procs. I have not yet experienced the rune bug out, so I don't believe that' a cause however it could be a bug limited to the ranger trap in question - in that case your best bet would be to make a post on it in the "Bug" section of this very forum and in game if you can replicate it consistently. Remember to include as much information as possible to increase their chances of finding it and it should be corrected in no time.

Now that u mention it, delaying stealth for 1 sec after trap placement, im starting to believe that I got interrupted in combat after successfully placing a trap... Perhaps by a warrior or Mesmer... Also I believe, if enemy get hit by a trap skill, we don't get stealth... Like we dealt damage and revealed behavior applied on us but without the revealed icon...Tried y'day with spike trap, fire trap and viper nest trap... Viper nest trap always bugs out in combat when traps are placed simultaneously

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

@"rng.1024" said:If some of you remember, this rune functions in the same way Superior Rune of Lyssa used to with a slight delay on the 6th effect:

(Look in the "Notes" section)

The reason for the delay is simply for the client to confirm the trap has been succesfully placed, which is why the wording goes "when using a trap skill" instead of "upon using a trap skill" like Superior Rune of Vampirism's 6th proc for instance:

Lastly, if your client is lagging or your ping is high there is a chance it will register the action too late and simply ignore it, as skills take priority over rune procs. I have not yet experienced the rune bug out, so I don't believe that' a cause however it could be a bug limited to the ranger trap in question - in that case your best bet would be to make a post on it in the "Bug" section of this very forum
and
in game if you can replicate it consistently. Remember to include as much information as possible to increase their chances of finding it and it should be corrected in no time.

Now that u mention it, delaying stealth for 1 sec after trap placement, im starting to believe that I got interrupted in combat after successfully placing a trap... Perhaps by a warrior or Mesmer... Also I believe, if enemy get hit by a trap skill, we don't get stealth... Like we dealt damage and revealed behavior applied on us but without the revealed icon...Tried y'day with spike trap, fire trap and viper nest trap... Viper nest trap always bugs out in combat when traps are placed simultaneously

That's very likely, meaning the 6th bonus "skill" interrupted before stealth was applied and therefore no revealed debuff.

How do you know it doesn't work though?Since each trap placement yields 3 second stealth and traps have a 0,5 sec cast time, casting 3 traps will grant you at most 7,5 seconds of stealth. Superspeed overwrites itself with every application, so you'll never get more than 3 seconds using this rune.

Also have you tried using the traps in a different order? Make sure to not use the healing trap in your rotation, as that has a higher chance of canceling your stealth if you spam it.

There's only 1 case in this game I know of that can apply "invisible" revealed debuff, so it seems rather unlikely this is the problem. Tried using only the viper trap?

@rng.1024 said:How do you know it doesn't work though?

Also have you tried using the traps in a different order? Make sure to not use the healing trap in your rotation, as that has a higher chance of canceling your stealth if you spam it.

Tried using only the viper trap?

1) after placing the viper nest trap successfully while running away, no stealth applied... That's how I knew it...

2) I'll try different order... And no, I didn't use healing spring trap at all

3) spike trap, wait until stealth runs out, then burn trap, wait until stealth used up, then viper nest, disappointment :/

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

@rng.1024 said:How do you know it doesn't work though?

Tried using only the viper trap?

1) after placing the viper nest trap successfully while running away, no stealth applied... That's how I knew it...

2) I'll try different order... And no, I didn't use healing spring trap at all

3) spike trap, wait until stealth runs out, then burn trap, wait until stealth used up, then viper nest, disappointment :/

I will do some testing shortly in the PvP lobby, going to post an update when it's done.

I don't seem to be able to replicate the error.

As I anticipated, swapping weapons (not petswap however), using a healing skill, dodging or a priority weapon skill like Hunter's Shot all negated the runes 6th bonus without applying revealed.

The utility traps (that you mentioned in the last post) however all seem to have the same priority and neither interrupts the cast of the other. Traited vs untrated and Out Of Combat vs In Combat didn't make any difference whatsoever.

When I used the traps on top of an enemy golem, the correct sequence of first being stealthed and then revealed occured without exceptions.

The only odd thing I noticed was once that Hunter's Shot didn't yield any stealth, but since I had just placed a trap on the live npc warrior I most likely hit him during my last second of revealed denying the stealth application, so that was on me.

As far as I could tell there never was any specific issue with the viper trap and the rune as I got stealth and superspeed everytime.

This means the issue is most likely more specific, like a trait casting it's own skill at an inopportune time, differences between the PvE and the PvP version of the rune, maybe a bugged sigil or another player messing you up. Engineer for instance has a skill that reveals you for 6 seconds yet the revealed icon only show for 4 (PvP) or 3 (WvW) which is the usual destealth duration, meaning after it's gone any attempt to stealth will fail without revealing you - the rune should still give you superspeed however if this was the case.

Also like I mentioned above, if the trap triggered while you had 0,5 seconds of revealed left it would make the impression that the stealth failed.

Try these things out to begin with:

• Remove all traits (choose a different traitline and don't fill it up), pick permanent bonus sigils
  • Press only the viper's nest trap key. If you use macros for this, turn them off.

If it still doesn't give you either superspeed or stealth, try these steps in an isolated location with no other players around:

• While moving vs standing still
  • With your traits
  • In combat vs out of combat

Make sure to not press any other button other than wasd and the one key assigned to the utility slot where the viper trap is placed - don't even dodge. It's also important to know whether you don't get both superspeed and stealth, or just one of the two. Let us know how it goes ^^

Archived