Skyscale mount [Merged]

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@"DietPepsi.4371" said:God forbid that I, as an artist and avid player of this game, have input and criticisms on the artistic direction of GW2.

Shared skeleton rig, similar general anatomy, both have chest cavities of similar sizes, similar size legs, with similar length tails. Similar silhouettes. They are indeed close in design and shape.

No, not a "completely ridiculous complaint". An artist's honest opinion, criticisms, and input of the design of the Skyscale and it's design similarity to another existing mount - yes.

But like, that's just a consistent thing that happens in video games. creatures of all kinds have shared animation rigs. the fire elemental, harpy, and flesh reaver all share the same rig and body shape. the awakened abomination and the mordrem vinetooth share a rig and body shape. even on the player side, humans, sylvari and norn share rigs and animation, and with humans and sylvari, similar body proportions. that's just off the top of my head, i'm sure someone can write an entire list of everything that shares a rig in gw2.

nothing is really lost just because the dragon and griffon share a silhouette, sharing the same approximations of body proportions reduces the work load on the animators side, especially when the riggers, skinners, 3d modelers and animators are separate individuals. Especially rigging, that can be a huge pain in the butt. And that reduced workload can give us something great, the skyscale being one of those things. So forgive me if I, as someone who has an undergraduate degree in animation, feel like that is a 'completely ridiculous complaint'. we got something cool that arenanet could produce with a lower budget and time saved. They don't owe us a specific amount of work load per cool thing. If the quality is good (which it is), then what does it matter if time was saved?

that's also not to forgot that aurene was actually using the griffon rig, as opposed to the modified griffon rig that we see for the skyscale, and that they're drawing artistic parallels between the skyscale and aurene (and kralkatorrik too, given the war eternal teaser).

Now thats someone whom actually gets it. So many doesnt understand the differences and complain over the wrong things.

Archived