World Completion is not Just for Gifts.

I have found that if I do world completion, I learn my class a lot better than when I just kind of slid by. It sounds weird, but it's so satisfying to watch your character, and by extension, yourself, grow strong. I want to get stronger to help others and world completion actually brings me to friends and something completely new! I found myself switching builds to see what worked best where. It is that tactical aspect that really helps me fall in love with it again. I also found some absolutely gorgeous place on my journeys. Sometimes it's more delightful to be pleasantly surprised opposed to scraping by with a "meta" you're not quite sure of/ meta doesn't fit the situation. I now have four characters with 100% map completion...a few more, now. XD

mff still gotta get the sky scale and warrior meow meow mix

Core Tyria maps are designed for leveling characters. Since enemies die if you just sneeze on them, it’s not a good place to learn to play a profession solo.

For players who want to actually learn to play their character solo, I recommend doing all story missions solo and all PoF HP’s solo. Once you can do those, you’re pretty much set for all solo contents and casual group contents. If you want to take it a little further, you can try all HoT HP’s solo. I think these are technically group contents, so learning to solo HoT HP’s isn’t necessary for playing solo or casual group contents.

Agreed. Even if you know your profession well and have builds which work for harder or more focused content it can still be fun to experiment, or to use things you know aren't the best but are fun. When I'm doing map completion on my ranger I often switch to the Mistfire Wolf elite skill because it's much more exciting to see a ghost wolf attacking my enemies than to know I'm doing double damage for 3 seconds or whatever it is.

I've found the best way to do map completion, for me, is to try and forget that I'm doing map completion. I go to a map I want to complete, I use the stuff which counts towards completion as a prompt for which direction to go and then I just do whatever. If an event starts up which interests me I'll do that, I'll talk to NPCs, I'll go and look round an area just because it looks interesting, I'll somehow find myself 1/2 way across the map doing a jumping puzzle and realising actually a vista I need but hadn't planned on doing now is part-way up...it makes it a lot more fun for me than trying to check off all the points as quickly as possible.

Which is also why I'm telling myself I'm not going to start on my next legendary until after I've completed all the PoF maps. I know PoF (or HoT) map completion is required for gen 2 legendaries, but I also know from past experience I'll enjoy it a lot more if I just do it for its own sake rather than because I need it for my legendary. Besides it gives me more time to build up stores of materials without farming them. I'm hoping by the time I get to look at what needs doing I'll have a lot of it already.

Archived