honestly don't know where to put this

But so Ncsoft which is Anet's partner or atleast I think thats how the relationship between the two companies goes I honestly don't know anyways back on track. So Ncsoft is doing a game engine upgrade to one of there more current popular games and jumping it to unreal engine 4 to make the game more modern and run better. I guess this thread is more directed to see if anyone from the Anet game engine team can answer this, or well guess they really can't even if it would be something in the works, but does anet have any plans to upgrade at any point to a more modern engine such as Unreal 4 to help improve optimization in large scale fights and just optimization in general? I know some say its not possible because it would require redoing alot of textures and art work, and so much more, but it would be really cool if there was a small team dedicated to working on something like that. Don't get me wrong gw2 is stunning and a beautiful game but if Ncsoft is going to be doing these kinds of things and competing within in a way, then guess i'm just saying why not look at the possibility of competing back by doing the same thing and upgrading the engine that gw2 runs on.

becos gw2 is on a modified version of GW1 engine, so there are over a decade of code, it will take a lot of effort to migrate everything to another engine

if they are going to UE, it's easier for Anet just to build a brand new game, and would be the logic and financially feasible pathway; BUT!!! if players found out Anet is abandoning GW2 to work on GW3, no one will be willing to continue to spend their time and money on GW2 anymore.

@sniperman.1738 said:more modern engine such as Unreal 4 to help improve optimization in large scale fights and just optimization in general?People keep saying that but please, do show me the UE4 engine based game that can have ~250 players in a pvp instance. In fact show me any other game that can do that regardless of engine. There arent many. Take Planetside for example and they use a custom tailored engine for that purpose just like GW2 and I would argue that certain battle royale UE4 games would perform better on that engine.

Here's the thing: GW2 doesnt need a new engine. The engine is powerful enough for what its doing, in fact I would say its one of the best MMO engine packages there is. It could use optimisations yes and it could also use a new renderer so we can get some DX12 stuff but just upending everything and replacing it with UE4 would probably take half a decade to have it run worse anyway.

Archived