Open world core thief build

Dreddo.9865

Hello to thieves forum, I am new to the class (nearly just got 80) and going slow to get familiar with the spec so I am still playing core and would appreciate some ideas on an open world build with focus on mobs tagging, decent burst, decent survivability and mobility (movement speed).

I currently am on an exo berserker set, equipped s/d and sb. Would prefer a power build, thanks.

Edit: What I run now is metabattle's open world core build with some slight variation:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pa0AwiVlZw8YbsLGJOyL5rTA-zR5YBKGCsKIJrgIwCCJMoA3oBgjI4MiQF0yUwEDA-e

Swap Panic Strike for Revealed Training (Even the Odds is good too).Swap Assassin's Fury away for Twin Fangs.Swap Invigorating Precision away for No Quarter, can be kept if you have hard time surviving but that shouldn't be an issue if you follow the next advise.

Use Off-hand Pistol instead of Dagger and use Superior Sigil of Impact instead of Sigil of Severance if you use Pistol OH.

I also suggest Sigil of Energy or Sigil of Battle over Severance on your Shortbow. (optionally can go Sigil of Rage if you plan using it in combat vs mutliple mobs)

Use Assassin's Signet over Shadowstep, if you wanna keep the mobility then use it over either Haste or Signet of Agility, won't make too much of a difference which you choose.

Make all your trinkets either Marauder, Valkyrie, Berserker or combination of those, don't use any of the ones you are using now that are not one of these I mentioned. (if you are going to combine then combine only Berserker with Valk, or Marauder with Berserker, don't combine Marauder and Valkyrie)

Other than that the build is good.

Similar thread:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/84241/pve-looking-for-a-base-thief-build-for-open-world-dungeon-and-low-fractalsFor pve I'd swap offhand dagger to pistol. Using shadowstep in pve is also not worth it imo, would rather pick assassin's signet or w/e you want with shorter cooldown. That 300 condi dmg does almost nothing for you, so I'd swap out any items with that stat to something power-based, preferably berk.

Swap Panic Strike for Revealed Training
(Even the Odds is good too)
.Swap Assassin's Fury away for Twin Fangs.

Also true :p

• Confused 1

@"Dreddo.9865" said:Hello to thieves forum, I am new to the class (nearly just got 80) and going slow to get familiar with the spec so I am still playing core and would appreciate some ideas on an open world build with focus on mobs tagging, decent burst, decent survivability and mobility (movement speed).

I currently am on an exo berserker set, equipped s/d and sb. Would prefer a power build, thanks.

Edit: What I run now is metabattle's open world core build with some slight variation:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pa0AwiVlZw8YbsLGJOyL5rTA-zR5YBKGCsKIJrgIwCCJMoA3oBgjI4MiQF0yUwEDA-e

The build that you want is DA/Acro/Trick.

The build is built around low Steal CD and Mug spikes.

The synergy of Swindler's and Sleight empowers Mug and Thrill. With the evasion from S/D, this will work great for you.

Here is the build of one of my Thief:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PaEBwiprlNw4YTMNGJOsTrrVA-zRQURYT0jLCwYPHA-e

Simple, cheap, and easy to build but very effective. Of course, you can tweak it to match your playstyle.

Thanks all for your replies and ideas. That other thread was a good read too. Just fyi the trinkets I put I know were not the optimal it's just what I had available at the moment i got 80 - will swap them as suggested.My main issues atm are solo fights against groups and those stuns and immobilizes in particular are a pain hence the stunbreaks and the shadowsteps.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@"Dreddo.9865" said:Hello to thieves forum, I am new to the class (nearly just got 80) and going slow to get familiar with the spec so I am still playing core and would appreciate some ideas on an open world build with focus on mobs tagging, decent burst, decent survivability and mobility (movement speed).

Edit: What I run now is metabattle's open world core build with some slight variation:

The synergy of Swindler's and Sleight empowers Mug and Thrill. With the evasion from S/D, this will work great for you.

Here is the build of one of my Thief:

Simple, cheap, and easy to build but very effective. Of course, you can tweak it to match your playstyle.

Your build has low critical, which lower your kill ability and put pressure on your sustain. (correct me if I am wrong). Wouldn't be smarter to go full berserker/assassin?Is acrobatics good enough to replace critical strikes? I also think of the missing Invigorating Precision which is godly in open world

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

Edit: What I run now is metabattle's open world core build with some slight variation:

Your build has low critical, which lower your kill ability and put pressure on your sustain. (correct me if I am wrong). Wouldn't be smarter to go full berserker/assassin?Is acrobatics good enough to replace critical strikes? I also think of the missing Invigorating Precision which is godly in open world

Take note that this build only uses Exotics and without food. You can surely boosts your precision with this build by using Ascended, eating food, and taking Signet of Agility. Also you don't need Invigorating Precision when you have Upper Hand, Pain Response, and low CD Mug.

As I said, tweak it to match your playstyle.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

Take note that this build only uses Exotics and without food. You can surely boosts your precision with this build by using Ascended, eating food, and taking Signet of Agility. Also you don't need Invigorating Precision when you have Upper Hand, Pain Response, and low CD Mug.

Just swap acro to crit strikes and you have more dmg with better sustain unrestricted by CDs. Healing 900hp over 7 seconds with upper hand is kind of meh in pve if you want to mow through the mobsI mean obviously play what you like, but cs will just give him more in OW.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

Just swap acro to crit strikes and you have more dmg with better sustain unrestricted by CDs. Healing 900hp over 7 seconds with upper hand is kind of meh in pve if you want to mow through the mobsI mean obviously play what you like, but cs will just give him more in OW.

True, but you won't get a low CD Mug. It's really the combination of all three (upper hand, pain respond, mug).

In open world, you'll find that relying on crits for healing is not a good thing. Not only poison will reduce your healing but also weakness, blind, block, evade, reflect, etc.

Had some fun exploring lesser maps (now moved over to HoT's ones where mobs are harder) and I can say Critical Strikes is too good to turn it down so I went with it. I have now unlocked Daredevil but I am having doubts whether I should switch (OK I should to experiment with the staff at some point) but I am having so much fun with core atm. Tough call. :)

PS - any DD fun builds recommendations are welcome

@Dreddo.9865 said:Had some fun exploring lesser maps (now moved over to HoT's ones where mobs are harder) and I can say Critical Strikes is too good to turn it down so I went with it. I have now unlocked Daredevil but I am having doubts whether I should switch (OK I should to experiment with the staff at some point) but I am having so much fun with core atm. Tough call. :)

PS - any DD fun builds recommendations are welcome

Both Elites designs will sort of funnel you into what seems like an intended self sustaining feedback loop the more you mess around with them. The more you learn to supplement parts of those main templates with a sigil here and a trinket there, a more fitting but adjacent rune set, maybe one or two trait changes, the more you can work in different trait line combos and make them work if you know the role you're playing in whatever mode you're trying to learn everything about. It's worth it to see what everything can do at least in different types of maps.