Trailer for Whisper in the Dark Lore Discussion

Michram.6853

Given their sort of Celtic/Scandinavian hybrid look, any creature with horns like that is going to make me think of Cernunnos and other pagan entities (or Leshy) rather than something from Native American culture, but given the cold climate Norns live in perhaps they have been inspired by Inuit lore, like with the Iljiraq, which has caribou antlers. But I can't deny it's also very obviously inspired by Algernon Blackwood's version of "Wendigo", in which he apparently made it a mishmash of several First Nations cultural beliefs. (Lovecraft talked up his work so I think people aren't too far off making that comparison!)I know it's an uphill battle because people love the deer-zombie demon, (superficially I do too-- as its own thing) but that is not what a Windigo is. That stag-horned creature people always draw is the result of Non-Native people taking things from Native culture and changing it drastically to suit their tastes.This video breaks it down pretty well, with one correction I'll add-- the antlered "Wendigo" more likely came from the Matt Fox illustration on the titular novella, as the inaccurate antlered depiction makes an appearance in an earlier movie.

(I'm not Native either, but I've seen several complaints from Native Americans about this very subject!)

This thing also kind of reminds me a little bit of the creature from "The Ritual", but just a little. I really hope this latest arc gives more development to the Norn, I like them well enough but they need some serious attention when it comes to their identity...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic