Bestiary and in game database

I find this game to be so impenetrable sometimes. Like crafting. I look at a recipe and it says I need leather and some thread. Nowhere does it tell me where I get leather or thread. So I end up looking on the internet.

So I find the item and all the monsters that drop it and that monster is only found in one ultra specific part of a single cave in a single area. So I go and TRY and find it only to discover the drop rate for that specific item is woeful for that monster, they have crap respawns and I've just wasted my life.

If I find them at all because frankly the wikis are usually kind of trash at telling you where they are as well.

In game database with all items and monsters I've fought in the game. Tie that in to the world map. You want to go find leather scraps? This is where you need to go. All without leaving the game.

That's not how drops work in GW2 though since most mats actually come via salvaging. Crafting items are so widespread and come from so many sources and also tie in with the level of your character sometimes, that such a guide would be impossible to compile, especially given the nature of rng. The wiki does give a guideline as to where things could be found, but the game isn't really set up to farm a specific mob or area in this way so it can't provide the "go here and get" for most crafting mats.

There are certain exceptions in terms of metal and wood nodes where it can be more specific to an area or at least a map, but leather and cloth comes more often than not from salvaging things and less from drops.

Salvaging everything is always the best strategy for building up huge stockpiles of mats. Failing that, the trading post is your other go to place

As for leather, well I get all my lower - mid tier leather from

• home or guild nodes
  • salvaging mats from mobs when I'm in lower-mid zone maps. especially event heavy areas where extra mobs spawn (Harathi)
  • endgame vendors for currencies
  • the trading post

I support the idea of a beastiary just because I like to look at it in other games. Not really because of useful info but if it is well done: mobs models and trivia.

On the topic of farming mobs for mats. It is really not a thing in this game with maybe a few exceptions like leather farm in Lake Doric (ls3 map).

The beastiary may as well be the wiki, it's like the Bible of guild wars 2. It even includes stuff about the Titans, which we haven't even really touched in GW2. Sometimes I wonder about Primordus, because it's weird that he's unleashing minions that resemble the appeal of the Titans. I'm getting of course, but yeah if you encounter something you wanna know about just wiki it.