Why are magic users so rare in GW2, and why are there no academies at all?

witcher.3197

@"Cuon Alpinus.7645" said:At the "no schools" thing, don't forget that the Priory has a reasonably large college in the mountains. You even interrupt a class in session during the ls3 (I think, might be HoT) story

LS2, although that was a lecture for members of the Priory. It didn't appear to be open for non-members, and the Priory itself was a pretty perilous commute until New New Lion's Arch bored a tunnel through the mountain.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Because magic is more native than you think. There are instances of kids casting magic. There's a town south of DR, near the coast, where kids are taught from on early age to tame elementals.Everyone had a little magic, and maybe it's so inherent your parents just teach you, and them you develop further yourself. Or you find a tutor..But you're wrong in the sense spellcasters are underrepresented. Because everyone has a little magic. and just because we don't run into them doesn't mean they're not there. You also can't see a pharmacy in DR, or a bakery. Are we to assume they're not there either?

Isn't there a chef crafting area there?And I thought there was some physician(s) somewhere in Queensdale.

As far as teaching goes I think people are right that's it's taught as part of other things rather than in separate schools/classes.

A bit like what's happening with computers in real life. When I was in school in the 90's we had entire classes devoted to how to use a computer. Literally the really basic stuff - what a mouse, keyboard and screen is, how to use the mouse, how to type (no, really), how to start a program.... (in DOS, fair enough, needed teaching, but when Windows came along it got a bit absurd to have a lesson on finding and clicking an icon). Then "advanced" stuff like how to make and format a Word document, how to make a PowerPoint presentation (where every bit of text zoomed in with it's own effect and sound), how to put basic formulas into Excel. Sounds ridiculous now, seemed ridiculous to me as the kid who grew up with a ZX Spectrum and then various PCs, but for other kids those classes were the only time they used a computer at all.

These days those classes have been scrapped. Why? because it's integrated into everything else. Even the kids who don't have computers (or at least tablets/smart phones) at home will use them in all their other lessons. They don't need a class on how to make a Word document because they'll be using it to write their English essays, making Powerpoint presentations on their science experiment, creating a website for their project. There are computing classes but it's focused on programming and other more advanced stuff, and even that is being worked into other subjects now.

And it's the same with magic in Tyria. Why have a school or even a class just to learn about what magic is and how to use it when they'll have heard about it and seen it used since birth and will be using it in all their other lessons/everyday activities? Why teach them generically how to cast a spell when they can learn how to light the fire with magic when making dinner, or how to heal themselves when they fall over, or power up their swing when chopping wood? Or whatever it is they're doing.

Archived