Show Item Drop Odds In Black Lion Chests

Hey ArenaNet,You know what would be the best gesture in all of gaming right now? If you all paved the way for better lockboxes in games by being a pioneer in the industry and showing what the drop rate odds of each item in BL chests are. Lockboxes in gaming are the black eye of the industry. You guys love being at the tip of the spear when it comes to monetization and a lot of times you get it really right.

Lockboxes prey upon the proclivities of gamblers. I get it. "We don't have to buy them". I believe that. I don't buy them. But gambling is a real addiction. Would showing the drop rate odds matter to a gambler? IDK that it would. Would it be a fantastic first step in addressing this issue? It totally would. The UK is deciding what to do with these right now. The ESRB and PEGI don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. Get out in front of it all by being more transparent about it BEFORE laws are put in place.

Lockboxes are super gross. At least show us our chances so we can make good decisions about how we spend our money be it real or of the fake in-game variety. Your company and employees stand for the right thing on many many issues. Be on the right side of history when it comes to lockboxes.

Ì agree that lockboxes in general are a cheaty way for game companies to earn more money because players want that one shiny they put in with the junk. (though what is or isn't junk is up for debate imo)That said, the current preview system does in fact show your odds, it just doesn't give you any numbers. Instead it shows you what is common, aka what 90% of the time drops. and the uncommon 9% and rare 1%.

So there is a way to tell, its just structured in such a way that for gamblers its not going to change their behavior.

Do remember though that these things are how they keep the servers up.

Everyone has access to the odds on the MegaMillions, but that doesn't stop them buying tickets anyway. Telling people the odds falls into the category of "pointless disclosures that will change nothing".

You could literally rename Black Lion Keys to "DO NOT BUY THESE. YOU WILL NOT WIN" and the sales would remain about the same as they are now.

@"Iason Evan.3806" said:Hey ArenaNet,You know what would be the best gesture in all of gaming right now? If you all paved the way for better lockboxes in games by being a pioneer in the industry and showing what the drop rate odds of each item in BL chests are. Lockboxes in gaming are the black eye of the industry. You guys love being at the tip of the spear when it comes to monetization and a lot of times you get it really right.

Lockboxes prey upon the proclivities of gamblers. I get it. "We don't have to buy them". I believe that. I don't buy them. But gambling is a real addiction. Would showing the drop rate odds matter to a gambler? IDK that it would. Would it be a fantastic first step in addressing this issue? It totally would. The UK is deciding what to do with these right now. The ESRB and PEGI don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. Get out in front of it all by being more transparent about it BEFORE laws are put in place.

Lockboxes are super gross. At least show us our chances so we can make good decisions about how we spend our money be it real or of the fake in-game variety. Your company and employees stand for the right thing on many many issues. Be on the right side of history when it comes to lockboxes.

Not saying I am opposed to your idea. But as far as impact, it wouldn't matter. As a gambler higher odds just add more to the spin. Also take real life examples if this would impact it, how many everyday buy these mega-million lottery tickets, and they do represent the odds and still people go for it. So no I don't think that would help, even if I would be curious what the numbers were. The preview option was big plus when added, and they also already give us a general rarity cause, gamblers will plug their own numbers in from there.

Side note you say you don't gamble on these so, why have them changed? Would you partake if it was changed? Good gaming/gambling!

@DBZVelena.5186 said:Ì agree that lockboxes in general are a cheaty way for game companies to earn more money because players want that one shiny they put in with the junk. (though what is or isn't junk is up for debate imo)That said, the current preview system does in fact show your odds, it just doesn't give you any numbers. Instead it shows you what is common, aka what 90% of the time drops. and the uncommon 9% and rare 1%.

So there is a way to tell, its just structured in such a way that for gamblers its not going to change their behavior.

Do remember though that these things are how they keep the servers up.

I appreciate the response. I feel that there are better and more creative ways for them to keep the servers up that don't involve RNG or odds/a weird form of gambling. I mean, if revenue has to be made from putting really nice things in a sort of slot machine, what's even the point with designing deep creative worlds?

I think showing us the odds of the items involved really is a good faith thing. It's like, "Hey, you guys have a super low chance of getting this thing and if you want to try then have at it, but here's the odds of winning."

The whole company is culpable in this. Anyone playing other games right now that are having these issues knows what I'm talking about. it's time for the industry to change their money making methods.

@mtpelion.4562 said:Everyone has access to the odds on the MegaMillions, but that doesn't stop them buying tickets anyway. Telling people the odds falls into the category of "pointless disclosures that will change nothing".

You could literally rename Black Lion Keys to "DO NOT BUY THESE. YOU WILL NOT WIN" and the sales would remain about the same as they are now.

I kind wanna buy one of those "DO NOT BUY THESE YOU WILL NOT WIN" things

@mtpelion.4562 said:Everyone has access to the odds on the MegaMillions, but that doesn't stop them buying tickets anyway. Telling people the odds falls into the category of "pointless disclosures that will change nothing".

The point is that the odds are shown. that's the honesty the industry needs. that's what I want ArenaNet leading the charge on.

@"Iason Evan.3806" said:Hey ArenaNet,You know what would be the best gesture in all of gaming right now? If you all paved the way for better lockboxes in games by being a pioneer in the industry and showing what the drop rate odds of each item in BL chests are. Lockboxes in gaming are the black eye of the industry. You guys love being at the tip of the spear when it comes to monetization and a lot of times you get it really right.

we are not in CS:GO. PubG ,H1Z1 dont forget it xDBut i know what u mean, Great Idea btw.

The only reason they even came close to showing what goes into the boxes and what the fuzzy-word chances are of getting them is because China and I guess some of the EU laid down some laws about these gambling boxes. All it would take for fuller disclosure is one of the NA nations to swing the hammer and do the same.I doubt ANet, or any game company, is willing to give that full disclosure without the duress of law behind it. Granted @mtpelion.4562 has a point as well. Even with garbage odds, some people are going to gamble.

To be honest, the boxes have been getting better, but still not worth buying keys for. I'm seeing tickets fragments pretty consistently, but nothing worth spending them on (and inflated costs for skins), and there is still a hefty amount of junk items in them.

Before the contents changed so rapidly, I believe one could find the drop rates posted in the Wiki. That's pretty close to the odds, I'd guess. I doubt it would make much difference; most players already know there's an aspect of RNG to the Black Lion Chests, and if they don't, they find out after the first purchase. I'm guessing those first purchasers don't make up a majority of the BL Chest sales. /shrug

Archived