New forums, new attitude!

Banankungen.2130

On the old forums I was mostly a lurker, reading post all over the place in almost all sub forums. And one thing that I noticed is that the forums have been getting more negative over time.

I remember back in the old days when the gw2 forums was just as nice as the in-game community actually is! The mesmer forums were full of nice guides and happy people! Nowadays it's mostly "Change this..." Anet why you do this..." "Please take back this rework..." I'm not saying that we shouldn't be able to express our feeling about one of the best MMOs available, but I think we could use a big chunk of positive attitude back..

To make this happen we need to come together! The next time you bring up a topic, try to bring a positive twist on the subject and don't fill it with negativity. I love this community and the forums should be a mirror of the actual in-game mentality! I am certain that we, once again, can make this the best forum out there!

The amount of good posts will always outweigh the negative, in my perspective. People will always have their opinions on things and quality posts will always vary anywhere you go, but its also those who reply to set the tone. I still think this community is still the best community in any game.

While some of the elitism/ignorance does take away from that, as long as there is a majority of players who want to make sure both new and old players are getting the most out of their experiences here--we should be good. :)

I agree with Lust above my post.I mostly see the good and helpful posts.The thing about the Negative ones is that they tend to stick around longer and more importantly they tend to "get in your head" a bit more, so one might think there is more negative ones as he/she remembers them. Might by some sort of psychological thingy =D

Players who are satisfied with the changes are happily playing the game. Players who are unsatisfied give their comments in the forum, hoping to get heard. I don't think this will likely change. Opinions in the forums are not representative of the entire player base.

I used to be active in the Creative Labs forums for their soundcards. When you would consider the forum, their sound cards would appear to be utterly crap. But in general, Creative sound cards have been fine for the majority of their users. Just the ones who experience problems go to the forums.

These new forums definitely inspired me to be more active within the forum community; it's just great - I embrace my own attitude change to the forums also :)

With regards to people asking ArenaNet demand stuff, they have taken a more active stance on listening to the community and this caught wind amongst Reddit and now the official GW2 forums - the notion of "if you speak loud enough, you'll force change" has taken place, whilst it's mostly constructive and precise, sometimes people take it too far as to insult ArenaNet when demands aren't met.

I hope this new forum encourages constructive feedback and a more positive community experience for new, returning & current players.

If you go into the profession forums you're going to see a lot of posts requesting changes simply due to the poor state that quite a few professions are in. That's not to say the professions in question unplayable or even noncompetitive, but there's a lot of issues within the professions from a min-max perspective, especially in regards to traits and core balance. These players are frustrated because they have been pleading for changes for years and their voices have fallen on deaf ears, but know that they voice their concerns because they care about the game and the direction it's going. Yes, some could certainly work on the way they convey their ideas, but the majority of those posts are constructive, regardless of whether or not you view them as negative.

Ofc I will read alot of demands and might think they are negative when it's in the classes forum.. The problem is that I have been in love with the necro playstyle since I started playing gw, I even got my own necro to 80 finally with gear and everything.. But when I read what other necro mains are saying about their class i loose all hope.. If I read the first pages 9/10 posts are saying necro is the worst class, unplayable in pve and need desperate changes.. So I think to myself "I guess I have to continue maining mesmer.." Then I go to their class forums and see the same thing.. Then I would go to take a look at my Engineer and their forum.. Same thing there..

In reality it's not that bad, Mesmers are one of the top classes in game and are needed in every raid.. Engineers do a considerable amount of dmg and are viable in all modes of the game atm, so are Necros. Sure both Engineers and Necros can be replaced for more dmg or utility in most cases but they are certainly not unplayable, which the forums make them look like.. Lurkers like me use the forums and the comments as a big part of their class choice, not to be the best, but to not play a class that is hated by the community. And from what I have read almost all classes are hated atm.. I really don't think it's just me that see this negativity and think it should change?

It's as easy as every now and then post some good things on the forums, show off your awesome necro doing a super fear in eotm killing an entire zerg, show ppl how you wreck face in fractals with a funky Engineer condi build.. Be proud over your professions and show new people that you don't have to be min maxing everything in gw, it's not that kind of a game! I think it would increase the happiness of the community seeing these things more often, not just when it comes to contests and other things that can grant you a free legendary!

Personally, I only came to look at the forums before ANET redone the whole place, I did make one or two posts, maybe more, back then. As for this, I think it's a way to get lurkers to become more active, will it work? Possible. For how long? I don't know, but I do think that those who lurked in the forums and just now started posting, things will slow down and they'll get back into lurking.

Archived