What Happened to Mesmer Boonstrip?

Coulter.2315

@DuckDuckBOOM.4097 said:

@apharma.3741 said:It would be nice if instead of the GS trait we had a deal X damage when removing a boon trait, would set domination up to be a very customisable and synergistic trait line.

I remember discussing this on the old forum multiple times. It's why I like Necro corrupts. Boons get reapplied so easily with power creep that stripping alone isn't good enough. The corrupts actually punish while they strip. Sure mesmer could use more boon strips but they could also be traited to actually punish.

Punishment is great and all, but I would like to see more variety. And by that I mean stuff like maybe a trait to actually punish for stripping a boon, another that buffs us for stripping it (could be as simple as "all boon strips are turned into boon steals Xsec ICD", or even "stripping a boon reduces recharge on all phantasm/shatter skills by 1-3 seconds, X sec ICD"). We already have traits in the game, albeit on other classes, that punish the other player when you strip a boon, whether its via damage or corruption. More variety to make mesmer feel different would be nice

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@OriOri.8724 said:

@DuckDuckBOOM.4097 said:

@apharma.3741 said:It would be nice if instead of the GS trait we had a deal X damage when removing a boon trait, would set domination up to be a very customisable and synergistic trait line.

I remember discussing this on the old forum multiple times. It's why I like Necro corrupts. Boons get reapplied so easily with power creep that stripping alone isn't good enough. The corrupts actually punish while they strip. Sure mesmer could use more boon strips but they could also be traited to actually punish.

Punishment is great and all, but I would like to see more variety. And by that I mean stuff like maybe a trait to actually punish for stripping a boon, another that buffs us for stripping it (could be as simple as "all boon strips are turned into boon steals Xsec ICD", or even "stripping a boon reduces recharge on all phantasm/shatter skills by 1-3 seconds, X sec ICD"). We already have traits in the game, albeit on other classes, that punish the other player when you strip a boon, whether its via damage or corruption. More variety to make mesmer feel different would be nice

Shrug

Why bother even discussing this sort of mechanic? Anet already spoke loud and clear about this type of thing. Mesmers don't get it, warriors do. Spellbreaker has a trait that deals damage and builds adrenaline on removing a boon. Spellbreaker has a trait that causes an AOE boonstrip on removing a boon. Spellbreaker has a utility that removes boons and hits harder when it does. Spellbreaker has a trait that removes boons on cc, spellbreaker has a trait that provides a stacking damage bonus on removing a boon.

Don't you see?

They already made a class that manipulates boons and it isn't mesmer.

We're just stuck with poorly thought out and horridly implemented ideas based around a piece of concept art.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

@DuckDuckBOOM.4097 said:

Shrug

Why bother even discussing this sort of mechanic? Anet already spoke loud and clear about this type of thing. Mesmers don't get it, warriors do. Spellbreaker has a trait that deals damage and builds adrenaline on removing a boon. Spellbreaker has a trait that causes an AOE boonstrip on removing a boon. Spellbreaker has a utility that removes boons and hits harder when it does. Spellbreaker has a trait that removes boons on cc, spellbreaker has a trait that provides a stacking damage bonus on removing a boon.

Don't you see?

We're just stuck with poorly thought out and horridly implemented ideas based around a piece of concept art.

Gotta admit I kind of wish mental anguish was deal damage when removing a boon and make shattered concentration a minor in domination, then you get a way to power up the damage of every shatter like condition builds get with maim the disillusioned and illusionary retribution.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

@DuckDuckBOOM.4097 said:

Shrug

Don't you see?

They also described spellbreaker as "mesmer through the eyes of warrior". Which can be seen as an acknowledgement that the stuff that's in the spellbreaker's toolkit should also be in the mesmer toolkit.

@apharma.3741 said:The issue with the clone death trait was not that it punished you for killing the wrong mesmer but that it punished you for properly playing vs a mesmer by depriving them of their clones. That and the clone death traits would stack up a decent amount of bleed and weakness doing considerable damage and preventing counter attacks in some ways.

This was a shift in design though. Originally the idea wasn't to "deprive the mesmer of her clones" but to just attack the real one and ignore the clones.

Archived