Most cohesive character choices (race, profession, creation choices, temperament, order, etc.)

I'm just curious what people think is the most cohesive character a person could create.

For instance, my Norn Revenant is pretty cohesive. Revenant's taping into legends and the mist really go well with a lot of the Norn's character creation choices. I picked "defend the mists" to go with the mists theme of the Revenant, "lost a heirloom" to double down on the ancestors\legends theme, ferocity to go with the warrior aspect, as well as aspect of the bear for the same reason. Then joined the Vigil to go with the ferocity\bear choices. All in all, almost every choice centers around mists\ancestors\legends\being aggressive.

Another one I noticed was Human Mesmer. Charm fits perfect. As well as run off to the circus, and the common background (bar\tavern setting), and worshipping the literal God of Illusions. Almost everything perfectly fits for a Mesmer here. Join the order of Whispers for illusion\deception.

One more would probably be Sylvari Ranger. Pick the white steed, to go with the hunt\animal companion theme, dignity for the respect of nature, "all things have a right to grow" to double down on dignity, and cycle of dawn to further lean into that. The choice for order would be a little tougher here though, as none of the three really fit 100% perfect.

Anyone have any others they think make for really cohesive character choices?

• Like 1

My norn is charming but follows bear and seeks revenge. He is a warrior. A charming bear warrior that you don't want to double cross. Haha.

I think most races can work with most classes. Although yeah, norn seem to be the original revenant. Charr with the iron legion make the best engineers. 

The overall lore of sylvari works well with Mesmer in my opinion with the dream, illusions, etc.

Edited by firedragon.8953

I think any combination can work. For example my norn engineer isn't an obvious choice, but norn who aren't good fighters often focus on crafting as a way to build their legend and that's what she was doing before she met some charr engineers and discovered she could use her construction skills to fight. She's a follower of Leopard, who teaches the norn to think independantly and use strategy, something which is absolutely essential for an engineer. I picked the 'blacked out at a moot' option not knowing what it would mean but it turned out to be perfect because it involves spending time with a charr warband and mucking around with their machinery. (The same warband also appear during the invasion of Orr).

But there are some combinations which are more obvious than others, like a sylvari guardian - guardians are devoted to a cause and draw their strength from that and many sylvari (including the player character) are following a Wild Hunt - an overwhelming desire to achieve a goal imparted by their Dream. You could pick the Shield of the Moon vision, where the description is about faith and protection and the actual story is about making difficult choices to serve the greater good. (The green knight is another option, that's all about protecting the innocent) and probably the Cycle of Dusk or Night to tie into the moon theme.

Or there's my charr thief who is a member of the Ash Legion and the Order of Whispers - so all around very secretive. (Except apparently when first meeting his Whispers mentor...still annoyed about that.) He's aggessive though, due to a combination of being the runt of the litter and almost always the smallest cub in the fahrar and the suspicion that he'll take after his gladium father.

But ultimately I think the important thing is to think about the story you want to tell and the kind of person you want your character to be, any combination of biography choices can work with the right story.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think any combination can work. For example my norn engineer isn't an obvious choice, but norn who aren't good fighters often focus on crafting as a way to build their legend and that's what she was doing before she met some charr engineers and discovered she could use her construction skills to fight. She's a follower of Leopard, who teaches the norn to think independantly and use strategy, something which is absolutely essential for an engineer. I picked the 'blacked out at a moot' option not knowing what it would mean but it turned out to be perfect because it involves spending time with a charr warband and mucking around with their machinery. (The same warband also appear during the invasion of Orr).

But there are some combinations which are more obvious than others, like a sylvari guardian - guardians are devoted to a cause and draw their strength from that and many sylvari (including the player character) are following a Wild Hunt - an overwhelming desire to achieve a goal imparted by their Dream. You could pick the Shield of the Moon vision, where the description is about faith and protection and the actual story is about making difficult choices to serve the greater good. (The green knight is another option, that's all about protecting the innocent) and probably the Cycle of Dusk or Night to tie into the moon theme.

Or there's my charr thief who is a member of the Ash Legion and the Order of Whispers - so all around very secretive. (Except apparently when first meeting his Whispers mentor...still annoyed about that.) He's aggessive though, due to a combination of being the runt of the litter and almost always the smallest cub in the fahrar and the suspicion that he'll take after his gladium father.

But ultimately I think the important thing is to think about the story you want to tell and the kind of person you want your character to be, any combination of biography choices can work with the right story.

Oh for sure. I wasn't trying to suggest certain combinations are bad. I actually have a few characters that are purposefully different for that reason. Anyone can make anything they like, and with a good backstory, it's perfect.

I guess this post was more just trying to dig into what all the best fitting choices are, that would really work together as a unit without much explanation or backstory. Like the Revenant Norn, or the Human Mesmer. With the character creation choices, there are some choices you can do that almost 100% align in that regard. 

But I love me a Asura Warrior, or Sylvari Necromancer as well, lol.

20 hours ago, firedragon.8953 said:

My norn is charming but follows bear and seeks revenge. He is a warrior. A charming bear warrior that you don't want to double cross. Haha.

I think most races can work with most classes. Although yeah, norn seem to be the original revenant. Charr with the iron legion make the best engineers. 

The overall lore of sylvari works well with Mesmer in my opinion with the dream, illusions, etc.

Charr Engineer is a really good one too. You can pick the legion that literally represents engineers, can pick a mentor that's an engineer, and can pick the honor less father (Warriors father fits more with warriors, Shaman father fits more with spellcasters).

On 7/12/2021 at 10:57 AM, SingTheDeadSong.8957 said:

I'm just curious what people think is the most cohesive character a person could create.

For instance, my Norn Revenant is pretty cohesive. Revenant's taping into legends and the mist really go well with a lot of the Norn's character creation choices. I picked "defend the mists" to go with the mists theme of the Revenant, "lost a heirloom" to double down on the ancestors\legends theme, ferocity to go with the warrior aspect, as well as aspect of the bear for the same reason. Then joined the Vigil to go with the ferocity\bear choices. All in all, almost every choice centers around mists\ancestors\legends\being aggressive.

Another one I noticed was Human Mesmer. Charm fits perfect. As well as run off to the circus, and the common background (bar\tavern setting), and worshipping the literal God of Illusions. Almost everything perfectly fits for a Mesmer here. Join the order of Whispers for illusion\deception.

One more would probably be Sylvari Ranger. Pick the white steed, to go with the hunt\animal companion theme, dignity for the respect of nature, "all things have a right to grow" to double down on dignity, and cycle of dawn to further lean into that. The choice for order would be a little tougher here though, as none of the three really fit 100% perfect.

Anyone have any others they think make for really cohesive character choices?

I believe, only norn havrouns are capable of accessing the mists ..... All other norns are basically hunters... They have strong connection with spirits of the wild and they treat their companion pets as family.... Norn is more in sync with rangers soulbeasts not sure about druid part... Norn would be more suited in vigil than priory or whispers order... And moreover norn would most preferably try to create their own legends and not to tap in old other legends... Norn are proud and most likely to be distinct than mimic or use other legends for their needs

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871

Yeah, Norn are primarily warriors and rangers. Asura are primarily engineers and warriors. Charr are warriors, with some thieves, engineers and elementalists (with the last ones being popular mainly in Flame Legion - other legions narratively have a very adverse reaction to all spellcasters). Sylvari... sylvari are young, so i see them as still having mainly the most basic approach to everything, so primarily warriors, thieves, rangers (and mainly core classes) - for example, from the Ceara's background story we do know, that engineers are rare.

Humans do everything though, and should be especially strong in magic.

Notice, that this is only when we consider the already existing classes. Norn for example have shamans, but that should be a separate class. Asura utilize magic too, but, again, in ways that are not generally represented well by already existing classes. Sylvari firstborn are magical and physical powerhouses well beyond what their class should allow. And humans utilize divine magic in many ways that are not represented in game (and i am speaking not only of the old classes we never got, like Dervish and Paragon, but also of, for example, the priesthood of the Six Gods)