Newbie questions about Eternal Ice

I'm currently working on getting the map currencies I need to unlock the Skyscale mount.

Every thread I've ever seen about this topic has suggested to run through Bjora Marches and gather Eternal Ice and exchange it - so that's what I did.

I ran through once (using TacO) and gathered all the nodes + chests I could (don't have full mastery yet) and walked out with about 300 Eternal Ice which doesn't convert to a whole lot.  Then I tried to do so on another character and the path was fully empty.  I expected the chests to not show up again, but the regular gathering nodes too?

Can I really only gather EI nodes once per character?   

I've noticed that sometimes when I go back after daily/server reset, some nodes still look like they've recently been mined.  Do the nodes reset at the server/daily reset?  Or some other timer?

How are people getting so much EI that they can use it as their sole method to gathering the map currencies?

Is there anything else I can do?  I only have 2 chars at 80.  If it weren't for the fact that I'm 3/5 currencies finished I'd level another 80 to help.  I'm not adverse to grinding but I really do hate this time-gated stuff. :(

Nodes have internal cooldowns, so you will have to wait a bit more until they respawn.

The fastest way of getting eternal ice is to do strike missions and open the locked chests you find all over the map. To really gain eternal ice from them you will need the mastery to unlock the chests though.

• Like 1

Besides eternal ice, you can get the currency directly by doing hearts in the LS4 maps- some are easier than others. Krakatite ore is 25 per heart, which stacks up fast. (it’s probably one currency you already have).  You get 5 per day of each in dragonfall. And you can trade in prophet shards in Eye of the North for LS4 currencies. 

This isn’t to say not to do eternal ice shards, as I’m sure you know about getting hearts for currency.  It’s just that you can reduce the time gate with a variety of tasks and get done faster. 

Another thing is that while you may not want to grind another character to level 80, I used tomes of knowledge to boost up some empty character slots just to park them out at the maps I wanted to repeat hearts. Now I have them parked at jumping puzzles for a little extra loot each day.