New Servers

Hi,

As you all know, in the meantime we got only 3 locations for the servers, NA and EU, and the region locked China server. making it hard on people playing from countries far away from of these locations.

While 250 Ping is nothing to complain about (reading mindlike topics on this forum from previous years) as some of you are used to playing it for almost a decade in GW2, but after such a long history, isn't it time to get a little upgrade with the coming expansion and get better tech to handle the servers or even create more servers in different locations to address a wider audience? 

I would like to hear what other people from further away from NA/EU think about the current state of the servers.

Thanks for reading.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Do you think GW2 DOESNT have enough player to fill out "6" servers? If was able to see the data of how many players play from each country/continent/region in the world and evaluate it I could have answered all your nonchalant barrage of questions but it doesn't exist. 

It's not a matter of just signing it off as 6 server for each continent but to see what is the demography of the game, and establish servers on that. If I could get an answer or info from Anet on that I wouldn't bother asking in the forum to begin with.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Might be a bit too late for them to set up servers in the Asia-Pacific area. Might also be a bit too late to stop the exodus of players from this region to MMOs that do have servers here.

The only reason I haven't done the same is I don't really like any of the other options yet.

Edited by Ben K.6238
  • Like 1

If you have a ping of 250ms that seems excessively high even for being outside of NA/EU. I know quite a few OCX/SEA players who play this game at only about 200ms. Any more is a sign of bad local data transit (especially low quality ISPs or poorly maintained cabling), using wifi instead of a hard link, etc.

The devs have already established in the past there wouldn't be enough players to populate the game world in other regions, even China is a ghost town and in NA/EU official servers despite having megaserver its still common to see no one showing up for meta events, etc.

The game's massive but not as massive as you think it is. Its not WoW or FF14, its just "okay".

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sugar Coat.1839 said:

Do you think GW2 DOESNT have enough player to fill out "6" servers? If was able to see the data of how many players play from each country/continent/region in the world and evaluate it I could have answered all your nonchalant barrage of questions but it doesn't exist. 

It's not a matter of just signing it off as 6 server for each continent but to see what is the demography of the game, and establish servers on that. If I could get an answer or info from Anet on that I wouldn't bother asking in the forum to begin with.

I do not think Guild Wars 2 has enough players to fill other data centers.

Which is why there aren't any. 

While some are wishing theres no separation for NA and EU.. here we hv a request for a new server platform. In GW 1 na and eu players are able to play together . That was good days. Id wish this is the case in gw2.. 

I am located in australia so technically we hv better ping in na servers but i hv always been in eu servers bcos of the players base and active playtime coverage.. so i hv always been playing with 400 ping ave.. also, it does not matter what servers eu or na .. we will always be playing at none the peak time of the day/night of either EU or NA servers. 

If theres an asian server offer for better ping.. idk.. i might try but.. depends on playerbase and pop.. i hv not met many tht play raids at my normal playtime.. this is also the reason why i am not in better ping na server but im playing in eu. So if asian server is opened.. and if its a ghost town for end game contents.. i wont bother joining. The same as why im in eu server now

Edited by Talindra.4958
  • Like 1

I think I remember reading that ANet are using AWS for server hosting nowadays.

AWS has the concepts of Regions, Availability Zones  and Local Zones. These concepts give customers a great deal of flexibility over where they run their services, and how accessible they are to users. I have no idea how ANet have chosen to distribute their servers within AWS, but they do have to work within certain constraints. I suspect they're further limited by their own server code as well.

In short, don't make the mistake of assuming ANet are running the game using the old school concept of physical servers in physical locations. Everything is virtual these days, and a lot more portable. At the same time, every change they make to their servers, they have to weigh up against potential increased charges from Amazon.

• Like 1