[PVE] I'd like to learn to play engineer

Iryon.6395

Hi everyone, I'm sorry this will be just another thread about builds just like the others.I created my engineer many years ago because I found it really fun and versatile, but I never played it properly through the many balance patches. Though it seems not the best moment now, I would like to learn how to play it and have fun with, starting with PVE open world (both in solo and in WB/Meta events with tons of people).I would have always liked to play Condition build with my engineer because of the many condition skills and I also liked the flamethrower (and turrets but they're broken now), but things have changed so often that maybe this is the reason why I got stuck with it.

This is the core engineer build which I recently started fromhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?PehAoqlZw0YcsOWKOWL1rKA-zRZYLJUmpihALUaCkRpwAlVZCkZB0RQ4wA-ebut I feel it too glassy and I can't focus both on battle and rotation with all those kits.I'm not looking for a meta/maximized damage build (otherwise I'd stick directly with one of the many power build suggested) but I'd like to find a fun and simpler Condi core build with more survivability. I saw someone using Alchemy trait line but I never played elixirs/gadgets (I would if it helps) so I'm not sure where to start.

p.s: I recently unlocked the Holosmith specialization with the same build (except for Holosmith which replaced Tools) but it changed the gamestyle to a more melee (Power) oriented and I'm still feeling glassy.

if you don't care about raids you can go either power/vitality/condi or precision/toughness/condi stats. easy to aquire since they are core game armor stat.obviously full viper is a really good choice and will open you all PvE content without issue.

i changed only the archetype and one spell. didn't touched your armor set:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PehAoqlZw0YdMPWJOaL5HXA-zRZYLJUmpihALUaCkRpwAlVZCkZB0RQ4wA-e

Hm... I've only changed 3 traits, the rest I wouldn't tamper with.

-Blast Shield instead of Explosive Temper-Adrenal Implant instead of Kinetic Battery-Thermal Vision instead of Pinpoint Distribution.

Dodging more often, increased uptime on Explosive Entrance applying barrier, more health.Beyond that, it's important to know that when your survival is at stake, "maximized" damage output is off the window and the various CCs and conditions provided by the bomb kit, the grenade kit, and the mortar kit (and glue shot) are your friends, Applying those pulsing blinds/chills/immobs/cripples becomes a priority before you apply your stronger damaging conditions , those can even passively break some champion bars when combined with the Big Ol'Bomb.

Your current build shoul work perfectly agains anything witout a defiance bar. Try to use your blinds agains those. Pistol 3, Granade 3, Bombkit 4, Mortar 4 and Flamethrower 5 are all blinds. Bombkit 4 and Mortar 4 are pulsing fields, making your job even easier. I honestly have no idea agains champions, other than just kiting them until the condies brind them down.

I don't know. I think your build is too much all over the place. Swapping Kits all the time isn't much fun to me and most of these conditions aren't really that good.I mean, what's doing a 980 bleeding over 8.75sec, or 1633 over 14.75sec for you? You can do the math yourself. It's a little ridiculous to be honest. And since this is no power build, the direct damage is meh at best. If you just tickle your foes, they have more chances to slap you. So, why even bother with all this Kit-swaperoony?You don't really have any good boon supply - no might, no fury, protection or anything. But boons do a lot for you.I think i would focus on something and in case of a condition build, that would be burning damage.

Swap 'Explosive Temper' for 'Blast Shield' - gives you a little more survivability, ferocity can safely be ignored on a condition build.Swap 'Shrapnel' for 'Big Boomer' - gives a flat direct damage boost and a little heal, the bleeding isn't really worth considering.Take Alchemy for survivablity and boon supply. There's an 'oh snickers, save your nuggets!' trait as well; 'Emergency Elixir'.Change some equipment pieces, runes and sigils. There might be better runes. I don't know, just had a quick glance.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PehAoqlFwqYdsEWJO+L1pMA-zRhYLJU2nSDgMMVMEYRSQcIMgyCUC0hiwkDA-e

So the 'Flamethrower' would be your weapon of choice, but swap to pistols as needed. 'Blowtorch' is your friend and of course bleeds increase your crit chance by 10%. 'Flame Turret' could be swapped for whatever, but it provides burning. 'Supply Crate' is a stun and a nice 'Oh shoot' ability. And always drink your potions, throw them around, it's fun.

I'd try this, but of course i didn't test it, so use at your own risk.

First of all thank you very much for your support in making me learn the different mechanics and solutions for the engineer.Yesterday I did some HoT metas and tried the small changes you suggested for my kit build, I achieved a little more survivability, Thermal Vision makes me exceed 100% of burning duration and give me a little more burning damage on soloing purpose but I can't have much fun with the "kit-swapperoony".I agree with what Kamikaze wrote, my build lacks any boon supply that could help me to overcome challenging situations and I wouldn't mind of being able to support my teammates as well.

@"kamykaze.5904" said:I think i would focus on something and in case of a condition build, that would be burning damage.

Swap 'Explosive Temper' for 'Blast Shield' - gives you a little more survivability, ferocity can safely be ignored on a condition build.Swap 'Shrapnel' for 'Big Boomer' - gives a flat direct damage boost and a little heal, the bleeding isn't really worth considering.Take Alchemy for survivablity and boon supply. There's an 'oh snickers, save your nuggets!' trait as well; 'Emergency Elixir'.Change some equipment pieces, runes and sigils. There might be better runes. I don't know, just had a quick glance.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PehAoqlFwqYdsEWJO+L1pMA-zRhYLJU2nSDgMMVMEYRSQcIMgyCUC0hiwkDA-e

So the 'Flamethrower' would be your weapon of choice, but swap to pistols as needed. 'Blowtorch' is your friend and of course bleeds increase your crit chance by 10%. 'Flame Turret' could be swapped for whatever, but it provides burning. 'Supply Crate' is a stun and a nice 'Oh shoot' ability. And always drink your potions, throw them around, it's fun.

I'd try this, but of course i didn't test it, so use at your own risk.

I started from something very similar from Metabattle https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Engineer_-_Flamethrower_Gadgeteer and it was fun but then I followed the fashion of the suggested meta build which is not always a good starting point for everyone. I'll try your build today, hope to have fun!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, it's me again with new questions.I had quite some fun in OW content with the FT condi engineer and recently unlocked the Scrapper specialization. Due to lack of synergy with conditions on Scrapper trait line, I conviced myself to give a try to power builds for Scrapper and Holosmith.

I found a quite similar build to mine, the Iron Juggernaut (Firearms 2-3-3, Alchermy 1-3-3, Scrapper 3-3-3), which provides a very nice boon generation and I'm wearing Wanderer's stat (had some Ley-Line armor pieces in storage and I have been suggested to try it even in WvW). While on one hand it's very good at tagging in crowded situations, on the other hand I'm not a support nor a damage dealer.I was thinking about swapping Wanderer to Diviner or Marauder to deal more damage but can't decide.Which of the two would you choose that would suit both Scrapper and Holosmith power builds?Do you think concentration would be more important for meta events than Precision and Vitality?

Precision isnt a high priority stat for power scrapper.Firearms - High Caliber +15% crit chance on mobs within 300 rangeFirearms - Hematic Focus +10% crit chance on bleeding mobs.That is 25% crit chance just for meeting those criteria.Fury which you can have up perma with some diviners and fireworks runes adds another 20%Which rounds off to 45% crit so you would only need 55% from gear to crit crap.Also as long as you do dmg you keep getting barrier from Scrapper - Impact Savant so Vitality stacking not really priority either.Only downside in building it like this means ferocity is a bit low.I've solo'd champions with power scrapper, it isnt a dps powerhouse but its sustain is pretty up there.

@"Iryon.6395" said:This is the core engineer build which I recently started fromhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?PehAoqlZw0YcsOWKOWL1rKA-zRZYLJUmpihALUaCkRpwAlVZCkZB0RQ4wA-eI won't comment too much on build as I haven't played condi engi in a long time.But that said if you want to run Condi and don't mind a pretty minor damage loss over full viper's you should gear in Trailblazers. The sustain is immense.

Thank you @raveparade.7582 , your answer is very helpful to understand more about which stat is needed more than other.

@mindcircus.1506 said:I won't comment too much on build as I haven't played condi engi in a long time.But that said if you want to run Condi and don't mind a pretty minor damage loss over full viper's you should gear in Trailblazers. The sustain is immense.Thank you, I see Trailblazer is quite popular for those who don't like to be a glass cannon.But what about my latest post on Power builds/gear for Scrapper and Holosmith?

@Iryon.6395 said:Hi guys, it's me again with new questions.I had quite some fun in OW content with the FT condi engineer and recently unlocked the Scrapper specialization. Due to lack of synergy with conditions on Scrapper trait line, I conviced myself to give a try to power builds for Scrapper and Holosmith.

I found a quite similar build to mine, the Iron Juggernaut (Firearms 2-3-3, Alchermy 1-3-3, Scrapper 3-3-3), which provides a very nice boon generation and I'm wearing Wanderer's stat (had some Ley-Line armor pieces in storage and I have been suggested to try it even in WvW). While on one hand it's very good at tagging in crowded situations, on the other hand I'm not a support nor a damage dealer.I was thinking about swapping Wanderer to Diviner or Marauder to deal more damage but can't decide.Which of the two would you choose that would suit both Scrapper and Holosmith power builds?Do you think concentration would be more important for meta events than Precision and Vitality?The build you are looking at doesn't generate nearly enough boons to really benefit from going all in on concentration. I save Concentration for more Boonbot builds on specs like Tempest or Herald.Wanderers is far too tanky to produce an enjoyable PvE experience. Diviner's is acceptable damage but doesn't provide any of the sustain you want.Marauder's is always a better stat combo for power damage builds that need a little sustain.

My build does not generate enough boons?Oh my......you made me realize that I wrote the wrong trait lines! Firearms is 2-3-1 instead of 2-3-3 otherwise it wouldn't have made sense to call her Juggernaut :3This is the buildhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAIRlFUwcyZQBtu0WZlW8S9tfA-zRhYBKRIQ0mVQEnJFsiIIGk6FQkUoSEYbA-eon utility I can swap Shredder with Elixir U/B

@"Iryon.6395" said:My build does not generate enough boons?Oh my......you made me realize that I wrote the wrong trait lines! Firearms is 2-3-1 instead of 2-3-3 otherwise it wouldn't have made sense to call her Juggernaut :3This is the buildhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAIRlFUwcyZQBtu0WZlW8S9tfA-zRhYBKRIQ0mVQEnJFsiIIGk6FQkUoSEYbA-eon utility I can swap Shredder with Elixir U/BWhen I say "generate boons" I mean to other people. I really should have been more clear. The only time I personally go all in on Concentration is when I am looking to spam boons on others in a case like Healing Tempest or if I cam looking to perma a boon like Quickness or Alacrity. There are exceptionsto this, but it takes a lot for me to want to want to invest in Concentration for a solo/OW toon.Otherwise , especially for OW PvE or just solo stuff, I personally just concern myself with making sure things die fast enough to not have to worry about it.

The main issues I see with what you have posted are the Wanderer's Gear and the fact that your critical chance is less that 35%. These two things are seriously neutering your Damage and leading to a less fun experience as small trash fights are likely taking way too long.You've got a crapton of Vit and Toughness and Your build also uses traits to lower damage.For me this would be a bit much.When I am making a solo/OW build that focuses on Power Damage, my first priority is getting my toon as near as I find reasonably possible to 100% critical. Then I worry about Stacking Might. For mitigation on a power build I am always going to favor Marauder's gear as it gives me a decent amount of vit while still providing the Precision I want.

Here is the flamethrower build I am using (Game Link, I find it much easier than GW2skills):[&DQMGNyYfKz/ZEhQBrhJfASQBjgGTAZUBiQGDEgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]Using Marauders armor and Trinkets and an Assassin's Hammer.The Hammer is slotted with an Accuracy and Strength Sigil, and the Armor uses Spellbreaker Runes. The sigils bring Might and Critical Chance and the Runes offer more damage, critical chance and a sweet damage buff that considering how few enemies in OW/solo play put boons on themselves is often perma'ed. (The runes are also really cheap via a WvW vendor).

Not saying your build is wrong, but for solo/ow play I will always favor killing things before they hit me enough times for it to matter.