Why do account names sometimes show up?

Quadox.7834

One time I realized they are in the same guild as myself, could that be why? Another time they had been in the same squad as I had hours earlier. Other times I can’t figure out why. On another note....sometimes when I hover over the orange dot of an enemy in world vs world, I can see their rank and what server they are from, but only sometimes. Weird stuff

@Avengedeath.4671 said:One time I realized they are in the same guild as myself, could that be why? Another time they had been in the same squad as I had hours earlier. Other times I can’t figure out why. On another note....sometimes when I hover over the orange dot of an enemy in world vs world, I can see their rank and what server they are from, but only sometimes. Weird stuff

It is definitely not as simple as being in the same guild either. It's weird.

When you hover over someone's name in chat or in the portrait when you select them:

If the person is in one of the guilds you're on, their account name will show up in a small box.If you have that person in your friend list and they also have you added in their friend list, you'll additionally be able to see the character, and the map they're on.If that player isn't in your friend list nor in any of the guilds, you won't be able to see anything.

@Wolfb.7025 said:When you hover over someone's name in chat or in the portrait when you select them:

If the person is in one of the guilds you're on, their account name will show up in a small box.If you have that person in your friend list and they also have you added in their friend list, you'll additionally be able to see the character, and the map they're on.If that player isn't in your friend list nor in any of the guilds, you won't be able to see anything.

That's not true, there are many players of which I can see their account name without them being in any of the same guilds as me.

@Quadox.7834 said:

@Wolfb.7025 said:When you hover over someone's name in chat or in the portrait when you select them:

That's not true, there are many players of which I can see their account name without them being in any of the same guilds as me.

Are you really sure?