Idea: give us the ability trade dungeon tokens for a different type

Oberon.3965

I used to run dungeons all the time. Earned Dungeon Master back when it was a cool title after launch, and have earned Hobby Dungeon Explorer 17x... having said that, I don't enjoy pugging dungeons and with my dungeon running friends mostly inactive in game, I no longer enjoy running them.

The rub is that I need dungeon tokens for certain legendries. I'm making Bolt now, and guess what, I need 383 AC tokens :-(

I have over 600 tokens sitting in my wallet from other dungeons... ANET, why not allow us to trade in our tokens for the ones we need? Since that content has been basically abandoned, why even gate legendries behind that kind of content?

Thank you for your consideration :-)

@OriOri.8724 said:Maybe at a reduced price (2 or 3 to 1) I could support this. As it stands, you can already earn the dungeon tokens without ever running the dungeon path by simply completing the reward paths in PvP and WvW.

The reduced trading return price is a reasonable tradeoff.

Personally not a pvp or wvw fan. 99% of the time I do open world pve, map completion, world bosses, that kind of thing.

I'm sympathetic to the dilemma: there's a thing I want that's locked behind something I find ...less fun than my preferred in-game activities. That's why I loved the game at launch, when nearly everything could be bought with gold (something we earned, albeit slowly, from anything in the game except chatting & sneezing).

However, a lot of players reminded ANet that if (nearly) everything can be obtained with gold, then it leaves people feeling that they haven't quite "earned" anything. That's why the game has more items gated behind more currencies (even as it also has some more stuff that's mostly just a matter of gold). As long as this is true, I don't think ANet should spend resources catering to a personal preference for gaining rewards designed for content X by doing content Y. Otherwise, there's no point to gating rewards behind content-specific currencies.

tl;dr doesn't seem in fit in with the game's current reward structure (even though I'm 100% sympathetic to the idea)

@Oberon.3965 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:Maybe at a reduced price (2 or 3 to 1) I could support this. As it stands, you can already earn the dungeon tokens without ever running the dungeon path by simply completing the reward paths in PvP and WvW.

The reduced trading return price is a reasonable tradeoff.

Personally not a pvp or wvw fan. 99% of the time I do open world pve, map completion, world bosses, that kind of thing.

Oh sorry, I was not clear enough. That second sentence was meant to be in support of your argument. I was stating that since we can already earn dungeon tokens for a particular dungeon without ever stepping foot inside the dungeon, there's no reason to not let us actually run a different dungeon and trade the tokens in at a reduced rate.I was not trying to suggest that the reward tracks were a solution to this problem

@OriOri.8724 said:Oh sorry, I was not clear enough. That second sentence was meant to be in support of your argument. I was stating that since we can already earn dungeon tokens for a particular dungeon without ever stepping foot inside the dungeon, there's no reason to not let us actually run a different dungeon and trade the tokens in at a reduced rate.I was not trying to suggest that the reward tracks were a solution to this problem

Eh, I don't think this follows logically. The way to "not step a foot inside the dungeon" is for those whose preferred game mode doesn't include stepping foot in any dungeon at all. They still have to choose a particular reward track and can't swap back & forth to optimize earning tokens; the optimum remains completing the reward track.

The main thing going for this idea is that it's relatively low effort to add a vendor and introduce a conversion rate that discourages people from e.g. running non-stop CoF/p1 to earn Arah tokens, this is a kludge that undermines the reason for the existence of different currencies. The more holistic approach would be combining all the tokens into a single currency, combining all the reward tracks into a single one, and allowing people to choose. Ignoring the fact that this would be far, far more work, this either sounds like a great idea (to normalize rewards) or a horrid idea that removes the last shred of distinction for running specific dungeons.

In short, I think either we accept that folks are meant to do specific dungeons (or specific reward tracks) to earn specific tokens or we should be asking ANet to set things up so there's just one currency.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:Oh sorry, I was not clear enough. That second sentence was meant to be in support of your argument. I was stating that since we
can
already earn dungeon tokens for a particular dungeon without ever stepping foot inside the dungeon, there's no reason to not let us actually run a different dungeon and trade the tokens in at a reduced rate.I was not trying to suggest that the reward tracks were a solution to this problem

Eh, I don't think this follows logically. The way to "not step a foot inside the dungeon" is for those whose preferred game mode doesn't include stepping foot in
any
dungeon at all. They still have to choose a particular reward track and can't swap back & forth to optimize earning tokens; the optimum remains completing the reward track.

The main thing going for this idea is that it's relatively low effort to add a vendor and introduce a conversion rate that discourages people from e.g. running non-stop CoF/p1 to earn Arah tokens, this is a kludge that undermines the reason for the existence of different currencies. The more holistic approach would be combining all the tokens into a single currency, combining all the reward tracks into a single one, and allowing people to choose. Ignoring the fact that this would be far, far more work, this either sounds like a great idea (to normalize rewards) or a horrid idea that removes the last shred of distinction for running specific dungeons.

In short, I think either we accept that folks are meant to do specific dungeons (or specific reward tracks) to earn specific tokens
or
we should be asking ANet to set things up so there's just one currency.

I'd support a single dungeon currency as an option as well! Good idea!

Now ANET just needs to pick one and implement :-)

I wouldn't be for that. If you want dungeon tokens go play a dungeon. God knows dungeons have little point to them lately and with currency exchange some would have ene less. So, my point of view is: If you want a dungeon token from certain dungeon go and play it, every dungeon can be done quickly nowadays.

That's in fact a bad idea, if that was implemented some dungeons would never see any activity at all. It's a good design practice to entice people to play various things so that they don't get bored and for groups to fill up. Pugging isn't that bad, just be patient with people and eventually things will die.

Archived