Warrior or Guardian - which one has more survivability?

Hakata.6742

I did a quick search and most threads were pre-PoF, so I'm interested to know what players think about the survivability between these two classes and how the new Elite Specialization (Spellbreaker and Firebrand) for these two classes help in survivability. For Spellbreakers, you have stuff like

but that's an outlier more than anything else - though that build for Spellbreaker seems to be a good balance between damage, utility, and survivability.

Thoughts?

This is fairly subjective. As dps, Warrior is surely more survivable, but guardian can change their line setups to be more suvivable and provide support. Warrior support is more offensive in nature. In sPvP SB package of damage and surivability is out performing right now. However, retaliation guardian is close in sustainability (more active though), but does much more damage (especially AOE). Though you do not have CC and disengage capabilities SB has.

Open world PvE, I would surely give it to warrior. The high HP pool and strong defenses in offensive trait lines make them far more surivable. Though guardian is probably better at trying to solo things not meant to be soloed, relying more on blocks, since many of PvE stronger mobs rely on few, but fairly strong attacks. Guardian has ton of blocks.

Its complicated, because each of those classes gain their survivability through different means. Guardian gains the majority of its resilience from traits.... when traited right, each skill will do 2, sometimes 3 things which lend to their defenses. Monk's Focus in particular is really strong, as Meditation skills are both offensive and defensive in nature, which MF also grants healing on top of that. Valor also contains Smiter's Boon, which turns their healing skill into an additional personal condi cleanse. Giving up Valor makes the Guardian more susceptible to stacking conditions and cumulative damage, as it force them to move their sustain to more distinct skills. Firebrand, as a Spec, has less personal sustain, and shifts it into a huge burst recovery/burst counter setup. Its great for group set ups, where other players can act as a buffer while your tomes and mantra are recovering. But on the personal side it gets very awkward, as most builds don't use Valor or Honor; which are the 2 trait lines that give Guardian the majority if of its personal sustain. This forces you to rely on your burst healing to counter attack high frequency damage (or invest more into defensive utilities), and have to move more defensively, as the small hits are now capable of adding up. However..... when speced for burn damage, the Firebrand easily outclasses the Dragonhunter on DPS (35k avg DPS), and still has substantial group support. It just comes at the cost of all your personal sustain.
I've tested a build where I swapped Firebrand on my Power DH build. While the Tomes boosted better group utility, they didn't perform any better on a personal level. But once I started leaning toward burn damage, damage output increased substantially. For open world, you can run Radiance (or Renewed Justice), Valor (for SmitersBoon and Monks Focus), and the 3 Tome traits for Firebrand. This way you can use utilities for personal defense, Use your weapons for Utility (CCs, etc), and use the Justice tome as a your main offensive weapon.

Spellbreaker is unique in that it gives warriors more frequent use of their Burst skills, which opens a crap ton of build options that aren't available to Berserker. Two of the biggest are Adrenal Healing, which is a strong Heal over time that now manages good uptime, and Natural Healing, which is a large HP recovery skill that Warrior had always been lacking. Might Makes Right is also a good source of minor healing, given GS ability to stack might like crazy. And for that build in particular, dagger is also a source of healing. This is the MOST consistent healing Warriors have ever had access to, and shares a number of similarities to self sustain on Daredevil. The WvW build drops the self healing in exchange for resistance and condi removal on Burst..... the combination gives it a crap ton of sustain, and allows them power through condi bombs. While it does lose some direct damage for the self sustain, it basically gets all of that damage back from the Boon strip. I've taken it into open world, and the damage is still respectable.... just not on the level of a full Chain burst Zerker.

• 2 weeks later...

Guardian much better in pve, the low HP pool does not matter much, as you negate lots of damage outright and when you go valor as one of your trait line, you got so much heal and condi clear on demand and dragonhunter is just really strong with 2 traps, procession and dragon maw and you got 2 utilities free for survival stuff.My sword+shiled/gs guardian solos pve any stuff far easier than even pre-nerf reaper.

Guardian simply just has everything for solo pve and its very very easy to play aswell.

only my hammer scrapper comes close to my guardian solo pve tier, but is much much harder to play.

guardian, I play both in frontline depending on my mood, there's not alot in it/ guard takes the biscuit in support through save yourselves + contemplation of purity combined is immense I would say the best blob skills going , although winds of disenchantment is not that far behind. they play very differently, warrior is timing and impact guard is flexible and has alot of F skills. Maybe guard by a whisker in terms of survive but you need the right food and runes.

@HyperLooser.2698 said:Guardian much better in pve, the low HP pool does not matter much, as you negate lots of damage outright and when you go valor as one of your trait line, you got so much heal and condi clear on demand and dragonhunter is just really strong with 2 traps, procession and dragon maw and you got 2 utilities free for survival stuff.My sword+shiled/gs guardian solos pve any stuff far easier than even pre-nerf reaper.

Guardian simply just has everything for solo pve and its very very easy to play aswell.

only my hammer scrapper comes close to my guardian solo pve tier, but is much much harder to play.

Can you share your guardian build?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived