How can I check another players stats?

I believe the reason why it's not possible is to remove the ability for elitists to prevent someone from joining a party based purely on their stats. This specific practice of elitism was eradicated since it's impossible to get that info via a view window, but that doesn't mean elitists were completely stopped (they'd just ask you to ping their equipment, and with raids, they'd probably ask you to ping your entire build on TOP of the already widely common legendary insights check).

@Lord Bandimer.1430 said:Thanks for the replies guys, makes a little more sense why they do it this way. I still think they should have it anyway, i wouldn't wanna play with elitist geeks anyway but whatevs.

putting gear checking into the game will end the game for a lot of people . case in point dps meters their was one that made his own for every one . but had things in it that anet did not want out. that all got into a big mess and in the end the maker got banned from the game for life. as well as his dps meter .

@Chadramar.8156 said:

@castlemanic.3198 said:I believe the reason why it's not possible is to remove the ability for elitists to prevent someone from joining a party based purely on their stats.

Partly undermined by making achievement and mastery points visible, sadly.

Yes but achievement points mean nothing, in that regard. They mean that you hunt for achievements, not that you can play the game appreicably well at all. I know people who have 9K AP and have been playing for two years and are incredibly adept at all things in the game. I myself have 17Ksomething AP and have been here since the headstart and still don't know things that other people should because I just like hunting achievements. Same with Mastery points. It means that you like gathering those things and doing the story, not that you're a good player. I think people who do play the game know that, and people who think that those things mean something find out quickly XD

@therapite.3645 said:Yes but achievement points mean nothing, in that regard.

Oh, I agree completely. But the same is true when it comes to looking at someone's build or gear -- it could very well mean that they just blindly copied something "meta", not that they can actually pull it off or reliably stay alive under fire.

The sad fact is, pretty much anything about another player can and will be used as an excuse for inexcusable behavior by those whose ego is tied into being "better". Which is why it is true that not being able to inspect is a good thing, but IMO it is an oversight that AP/mastery points are visible because they are abused in that way as well.

Making Builds in Guild Wars 2 is similar to building your deck in a trading card game.You can build your class to play anyway you want! But you can't be peeking at other people's builds. This is to ensure people in PvP can't just look up someone else's build just to make a counter build prior to PvP matches, since that would be considered cheating. The less your opponent knows about your build, the better since it makes you unpredictable. You also can't be peaking at other people's build in PvE either because it's to encourage new players to experiment in creative ways of making their own builds instead of copying someone else's while leveling up. This game is all about builds. Every build has a strength and weakness. So it is encouraged to make different kinds of builds for different encounters.

Archived