[UPDATED] Is the game can't be move to another computer? [PIC]

Recently i have copying all my guild wars 2 files from my laptop to my new computer using flashdrive but when i try to start the launcher in my new computer, it automatically repairing data archive and then the launcher pop out, redownloading all the 400k files from the beginning. Anyone have the solution? here's the screenshot, this is frustated me :(

https://ibb.co/iFsX76

The only file you really need is the GW2.dat file.

Download the client on your new computer, install and start it up normally. You should be familiar with 2 download screens, the first one has no progress bar and the second is the "update" screen which actually has load bar and shows progress.

Let the installer go through the first download process (screen with no progress bar), and once you get to the second one (with progress bar), close the client. It's at this point that the installer has created all the necessary files and is only now adding to the GW2.dat file. You replace the newly created GW2.dat (should be a light file) with the one from your previous installation (supremely heavy ~30 GB file).

Once you do that, the game should run normally (assuming it ran on your previous PC). If there's any updates, let them run as they should be short thereafter.

Hope that helps!

@Strages.2950 said:The only file you really need is the GW2.dat file.

Download the client on your new computer, install and start it up normally. You should be familiar with 2 download screens, the first one has no progress bar and the second is the "update" screen which actually has load bar and shows progress.

Let the installer go through the first download process (screen with no progress bar), and once you get to the second one (with progress bar), close the client. It's at this point that the installer has created all the necessary files and is only now adding to the GW2.dat file. You replace the newly created GW2.dat (should be a light file) with the one from your previous installation (supremely heavy ~30 GB file).

Once you do that, the game should run normally (assuming it ran on your previous PC). If there's any updates, let them run as they should be short thereafter.

Hope that helps!

I did that like 4-5 times but always ended up on second one (with progress bar) redownloading all the files (400k files remained) despite my gw2.dat size is 36GB++

And don't forget that's in a different location to the bulk of your install, namely

%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/By default that's likely to be c:/Users/(username)/Appdata/Roaming/Guild Wars 2

Probably not your problem, but I mention it for what it's worth.

Is the filesystem for your flashdrive fat32 or ntfs? It should be ntfs or it can't copy files bigger than 4gig. The ugly dirty way around that is to split that big .dat file into multiple smaller zips or rars and then recombine them at destination. The other downside is the space taken needed for storing, and extracting.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:Is the filesystem for your flashdrive fat32 or ntfs? It should be ntfs or it can't copy files bigger than 4gig. The ugly dirty way around that is to split that big .dat file into multiple smaller zips or rars and then recombine them at destination. The other downside is the space taken needed for storing, and extracting.

my flashdrive file system is exFAT, it can copy big file. Already move it to another pc but the launcher keep redownloading

@Doghouse.1562 said:

And don't forget that's in a different location to the bulk of your install, namely

%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/By default that's likely to be c:/Users/(username)/Appdata/Roaming/Guild Wars 2

so i need to copy that local.dat file too?

@Ryuhaerys.8423 said:

@Doghouse.1562 said:

so i need to copy that local.dat file too?

No, I was utterly confusing the issue by mentioning it. If it doesn't exist when the game launches, it's created.

• 2 weeks later...

@Daisy.2178 said:How do you even know how to find the files

If you don't know where you installed GW2, right click your GW2 shortcut and select "open file location" to open the folder. You can simply copy this folder to another computer, specifically Gw2.dat and Gw2-64.exe or Gw2.exe.

@Daisy.2178 said:can't I just go the main screen and download the game on the new computer?

Of course you can simply download and run Gw2Setup.exe, especially if you don't care about downloading the full game (~37 GB).

Archived