Has anyone seen Karka Eggs recently?

Leablo.2651

I have been trying to unlock Rotten Eggs for The Minstrel I collection. This is where you are supposed to pick up a karka egg during the queen fight and throw it at the queen. In each of the KQ battles I have participated in, I have not seen the spawn for a single egg, and the queen dies in about 30s with all the people attacking it. I'm not sure if the KQ is simply being killed before she even spawns an egg, or other people are simply grabbing all eggs instantly before I even have a chance to see them, or if I'm not seeing them because they are loading in so slowly that they won't appear on my client before the fight is over (I already tried reducing character model detail in case those were taking priority over the eggs).

A possible factor in this is that the purpose of the eggs is to reduce the KQ's armor buff, once relevant for the zerk meta, but it's unclear whether this "armor" also works against condi damage, which has since become the predominant form of damage in the game, and perhaps is now causing the KQ to be killed faster than designed.

Wall o' Text incoming. Here's the short version:If you're keen on getting the egg soon, find a guild that can trigger a Guild World Event. I recommend a minimum crew of five people that a good-at-games OR a group of six pretty-good-at-games (divided into two mounted teams) OR a squad of 12-16 divided into four groups (one per camp). If your guild doesn't have the people or upgrade, check in "players helping players".

Good luck! And please let us know how it goes.

Visual cues

The queen starts to shiver and shake, as if she's, you know, about to have a cow drop a bunch of eggs. It's slightly different from when she's about to serve a karka roll.

Why We Don't See Eggs Every Time

There are a few reasons why it seems to happen less often with big crowds:

• It can be interrupted by breaking her defiance (blue) bar; if that happens, it won't show up until she cycles the skill again.
  • The eggs pop fairly quickly. With all the sparkly effects from legendaries and spells, it's easy to miss the 'pop' and (especially in crowds), the AoE damage/condi is easily survived.
  • With bigger crowds, it happens less often (even if never interrupted); the Queen doesn't scale up much so she dies really quickly with more people.
  • My memory is that the eggs can be destroyed by AoE just when they are about to pop (but I could be wrong about that).
  • Latency: the more people there are, the longer it takes assets to spawn. On any given PC, one might just not see them (even if they are present).

In the end, I don't think any of that is all that helpful to someone trying to get eggs for the collection. So here are my recommendations:

Strategy 1: Pray to Our F-in Gods

The idea is that you are skipping personal reaction time and picking up an egg before you can see it.

• Burst your damage as you approach (dismount is sufficient).
  • Get in close.
  • Spam the F key (or whatever you have set to interact) and hope you get an egg.
Strategy 2: Plan on a Small Team

Slow down the fight, so you have time to find, move to, and grab eggs. There are a couple of ways:

• Show up in Southsun at :03 before the spawn and keep trying to get into a map that is 0/4 secure settlements. Those maps have relatively weaker zergs; fight should be slower.
  • Spawn your own KQ: guilds can queue this up using a Guild World Event. A high-DPS team with mounts can trigger her with only 4-5 people; more typical efforts can be done with 2-4 groups of three each. Guaranteed that this fight will be slow enough for you to get the eggs.
  • Two of the camps should be "easy"; the two with their own WP are considered the most challenging for small groups.

If your own guild hasn't built the Scribing: GWE upgrade, I'd try posting in the Players-Helping-Others subforum & asking there. I think it's actually a fun "special occasion" guild activity.

• 1 year later...

There is a new issue, probably because of the new World Boss widget (can't be sure, i don't have it i Don't know how it works, but there was no LFG when i was trying)

you struggle with 3 people like an idiot to secure the camps, and as soon as it's done, there is a swarm of people teleporting into the instance knowing exactly the minute it'll spawn. Even if the queen lay eggs because you begged for people to not CC for 5mn, you still barely have time to pick it up and throw it.

Archived