Travel to Asia

Hello guys, I am a pretty new player. Only been playing for about a month. I travel several times a year and I wonder if traveling will get my account banned because I heard you can get banned because of sharing accounts. I wonder if I travel from NY to Taiwan for a month and login in Taiwan will get me banned.

Set up two-factor authentication, that will firstly stop people stealing your account but also should act as proof that it's you logging in from wherever you are.

But it might also be helpful to know that if your account is banned it is possible to get it back. (Even if it was actually stolen.) You'll need to contact Support and provide proof that it is your account, so it might help to hold onto your account key and make a note of things like the names of your characters, when and where the account was created so you can prove you were the one who created the account.

As above, enable two- factor authentication and you should be fine. The game really promotes, it so you might allready have done it.afaik, Arenanet doesnt actively ban accounts for accountsharing unless.1: There is a dispute of ownership and the true owner can not be identified.2: The account sharing was done to give a banned player access.3: the account sharing was done in combination with other illegal actions like paying someone with real money to play for you or matchfixing.

So you should be fine.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:As above, enable two- factor authentication and you should be fine. The game really promotes, it so you might allready have done it.afaik, Arenanet doesnt actively ban accounts for accountsharing unless.1: There is a dispute of ownership and the true owner can not be identified.2: The account sharing was done to give a banned player access.3: the account sharing was done in combination with other illegal actions like paying someone with real money to play for you or matchfixing.

So you should be fine.

That is not what the TOS says, "Each Account may only be used by one person." They may not be 'actively" looking but is is against the TOS. As to your points, please link them up with an official dev response /quote. Thanks.

@Blude.6812 said:

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:As above, enable two- factor authentication and you should be fine. The game really promotes, it so you might allready have done it.afaik, Arenanet doesnt actively ban accounts for accountsharing unless.1: There is a dispute of ownership and the true owner can not be identified.2: The account sharing was done to give a banned player access.3: the account sharing was done in combination with other illegal actions like paying someone with real money to play for you or matchfixing.

So you should be fine.

That is not what the TOS says, "Each Account may only be used by one person." They may not be 'actively" looking but is is against the TOS. As to your points, please link them up with an official dev response /quote. Thanks.

I didnt say it was allowed at all. I said Arenanet doesn't actively track down and bans people just for account sharing. It is in the user agreement and it is not allowed and never wise to do so. But there is no risk getting accidentally banned just cause you logged in from a different location

I suspect it's in the TOS so that Anet can always say their position on it was clearly stated when you signed up and enforce the rule as and when you need to.

It means they don't have to deal with things like disputes between siblings ("My stupid sister stole all MY gold out our wallet and spent it on stupid skins for her stupid character! You have to give me my gold back!") and any punishments can be applied to the whole account without worrying about who was actually playing at the time and which characters are 'theirs'.

In theory they can ban any account simply for being shared between two or more people (so in that first case they could 'solve' the problem by banning both siblings), so it's probably best not to do it and especially not to talk about it. But I know people have talked about it openly, even on this forum, without being banned so it's pretty unlikely you'd be banned just for logging in from another location.

Archived