Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more. - Page 18 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home

Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

1121314151618>

Comments

• Nevin Kiludan.2639Nevin Kiludan.2639 Member ✭✭
    edited May 14, 2020

I think the massive FPS drop was related to export WINEESYNC=1 and export WINEFSYNC=1. I get in The Eye of the North at Auren's place FSYNC 30 FPS and with ESYNC = 67 FPS. Looks like FSYNC has some issues with GW2.

Now after installing the latest Kernel and Nvidia patches I get pretty stable 70-80 FPS and even improved graphics rendering in GW2. The postprocessing = high setting no longer makes the game look blurry anymore. It really looks and performs better than ever. - NICE!

• @Nevin Kiludan.2639 said:
    I think the massive FPS drop was related to export WINEESYNC=1 and export WINEFSYNC=1. I get in The Eye of the North at Auren's place FSYNC 30 FPS and with ESYNC = 67 FPS. Looks like FSYNC has some issues with GW2.

Are you sure the Kernel you were using had the fsync patched in? Because the game performs at half performance without both *syncs.

• ZenAge.4863ZenAge.4863 Member
    edited May 15, 2020

Big Thanks to ArmoredVehicle for this project! It's pathetic that Linux is still undermined to this day, at least valve had some common sense to jump on this wagon ;D

Anyways, I would just like to point out a few things.

1) All of the links you posted that are in the google drive are inaccessible (at least to me, from multiple locations) and have been last time (1 year ago) that I tried to download the package. It just says "Unable to connect, can’t establish a connection to the server at drive.google.com." The only packages that are accessible are the ones stored in your FTP server. Nvm, got it to work from another location. Last time it was a problem with the download not starting when I pressed "Download Anyways" in google drive.
    2) The MD5 Checksums do not match. I have only checked the Intel package from your FTP, FrontPage=dfaaa13b2ea47fe0ad3213fba25dc0d9 MyTerminal=43f75ba60aef6112b3f5199d5ccb98dc Have you forgotten to update those, or should I be worried? :) Oof, nvm, looks like I need some more coffee. The checksum mismatch was due to a corrupt download (twice)... Intel one is looking good.
    3) I can traverse your FTP directories, including the SSH folder containing strange, distorted IMG files. :)
    4) If possible can you please update the legacy packages, and also host them on your FTP server - for people like me stuck on old hardware... really keen to play :)
    5) The GitHub installer maintained by liberodark shows last update to the packages was 16 months ago, sitting at v1.9.1. Your FTP shows v2.0.0.

Thanks again for the amazing work you have done, and to everyone for providing their tweaks and tests! <3

• @Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

@Barabeam.4638 said:

@Hell Nirvana.9045 said:
    Does anyone have experience running both GW2Hook (essentially ReShade) and arcdps simultaneously?
    I'm moving from Windows to Manjaro soon, and wondering whether I have to make a choice which to drop.

Edit: The DLL files I have to use arcdps and GW2Hook together is to name arcdps as d3d9.dll, grab d3d9_chainload.dll linked on deltaconnected's website for ReShade, and GW2Hook as ReShade64.dll

Hi, to be honest I haven't tried to run GW2Hook on linux, but I am using a vkBasalt (https://github.com/DadSchoorse/vkBasalt) which is described as: ("vkBasalt is a Vulkan post processing layer to enhance the visual graphics of games"). It has its own modifiers, and it can be configured to use Reshade shaders. It doesn't have a GUI, so I had to do a lot of tinkering to link things properly and set up the graphics to my liking :)

Edit: There is a GUI application that can be used to configure vkBasalt to your liking (https://github.com/benjamimgois/goverlay), it can also configure Mangohud which is an overlay that can display fps, temps, cores utilization and more. I haven't tried it yet though and this is why I forgot to mention it.

The reason I use GW2Hook as my ReShade version is the UI bypass. I don't believe it's done right anywhere else...

Is it legal to use GW2Hook?

• ArmoredVehicle.2849ArmoredVehicle.2849 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2020

@ZenAge.4863 said:
    Big Thanks to ArmoredVehicle for this project! It's pathetic that Linux is still undermined to this day, at least valve had some common sense to jump on this wagon ;D

Anyways, I would just like to point out a few things.

1) All of the links you posted that are in the google drive are inaccessible (at least to me, from multiple locations) and have been last time (1 year ago) that I tried to download the package. It just says "Unable to connect, can’t establish a connection to the server at drive.google.com." The only packages that are accessible are the ones stored in your FTP server. Nvm, got it to work from another location. Last time it was a problem with the download not starting when I pressed "Download Anyways" in google drive.
    2) The MD5 Checksums do not match. I have only checked the Intel package from your FTP, FrontPage=dfaaa13b2ea47fe0ad3213fba25dc0d9 MyTerminal=43f75ba60aef6112b3f5199d5ccb98dc Have you forgotten to update those, or should I be worried? :)
    3) I can traverse your FTP directories, including the SSH folder containing strange, distorted IMG files. :)
    4) If possible can you please update the legacy packages, and also host them on your FTP server - for people like me stuck on old hardware... really keen to play :)
    5) The GitHub installer maintained by liberodark shows last update to the packages was 16 months ago, sitting at v1.9.1. Your FTP shows v2.0.0.

Thanks again for the amazing work you have done, and to everyone for providing their tweaks and tests! <3

1) I put up the ftp server a few months ago because of that google issue, you're not the only one not able to access it, I recall someone else had the issue a few pages back.

2) I downloaded the package from the server and ran the MD5 test, the result is the same as on the front page. Have you tried re-downloading it?

3) That was a small slip up, I've recently updated the server's package and it didn't retain all settings, I found out the entire system was explorable only a day later (woops). The image files, they're a mini photo shoot for my dad for a local magazine, sending large pictures by email is not very practical, the SSH folder is meant to be for private stuff I transfer from home to work. :)

4) The legacy packages are basically stuck at Wine 2.21 due to some patches incompatible with modern Wine versions, without these patches the game would run slower. I've uploaded them on the FTP server, link is here: ftp://jrugia.com:1025/GW2_Legacy_Packages/

5) I'll try to get in touch with liberodark. His 1.9.1 package is from last December which could use a little update.

• @Suzumiya.3049 said:

@Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

@Barabeam.4638 said:

@Hell Nirvana.9045 said:
    Does anyone have experience running both GW2Hook (essentially ReShade) and arcdps simultaneously?
    I'm moving from Windows to Manjaro soon, and wondering whether I have to make a choice which to drop.

Edit: The DLL files I have to use arcdps and GW2Hook together is to name arcdps as d3d9.dll, grab d3d9_chainload.dll linked on deltaconnected's website for ReShade, and GW2Hook as ReShade64.dll

Hi, to be honest I haven't tried to run GW2Hook on linux, but I am using a vkBasalt (https://github.com/DadSchoorse/vkBasalt) which is described as: ("vkBasalt is a Vulkan post processing layer to enhance the visual graphics of games"). It has its own modifiers, and it can be configured to use Reshade shaders. It doesn't have a GUI, so I had to do a lot of tinkering to link things properly and set up the graphics to my liking :)

Edit: There is a GUI application that can be used to configure vkBasalt to your liking (https://github.com/benjamimgois/goverlay), it can also configure Mangohud which is an overlay that can display fps, temps, cores utilization and more. I haven't tried it yet though and this is why I forgot to mention it.

The reason I use GW2Hook as my ReShade version is the UI bypass. I don't believe it's done right anywhere else...

Is it legal to use GW2Hook?

As legal as ReShade. It's just that, but built for GW2, specifically.

• Nevin Kiludan.2639Nevin Kiludan.2639 Member ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2020

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:
    1) I put up the ftp server a few months ago because of that google issue, you're not the only one not able to access it, I recall someone else had the issue a few pages back.
    2) I downloaded the package from the server and ran the MD5 test, the result is the same as on the front page. Have you tried re-downloading it?

Just install IPFS Browser extensions and share the files' URI:

As an example I uploaded the current 2.0.0 releases (right click links and open in new tab eg.):

Some free alternatives would be:

I can help you set one up just PM me your Steam, Matrix or Jami ID if you like.

• @ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Yes, my bad, it was due to a corrupt download...

3) That was a small slip up, I've recently updated the server's package and it didn't retain all settings, I found out the entire system was explorable only a day later (woops). The image files, they're a mini photo shoot for my dad for a local magazine, sending large pictures by email is not very practical, the SSH folder is meant to be for private stuff I transfer from home to work. :)

Haha... woops... sorry for snooping around, I thought I might find the legacy package so I looked around and realized it's all open. And "by strange & distorted images" I was referring to them being cut up on my side when I viewed them... I wasn't referring to the person or anything... haha... phew... what a morning... :#=)

• Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2020

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:
    Thanks for the feedback, the only workaround to this would be to apply the staging patches without the affected patch. I need to read a bit how to exclude some of the staging patches in order still provide the good stuff that works (such as esync). Might take some time though but I'll keep it in mind.

I've managed to trace this down to the Wine patchset called "user32-rawinput-mouse-experimental", and the specific patch that introduces this issue is "user32-rawinput-mouse-experimental/0001-winex11.drv-Add-support-for-absolute-RawMotion-event.patch". However, it makes me feel like the issue might be in the xf86_input_joystick driver, which initializes the device as InitValuatorAxisStruct() with the Absolute variable because the joystick IS reporting absolute values, however handling axis information invokes xf86PostMotionEvent() with the parameter is_absolute=0 (meaning, relative).

I think I'll report this to the wine bug-tracker, as it seem the calls are being done correctly by the joystick driver.

EDIT: Wine bugzilla report https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49163

• Hello, if I may ask, as a total idiot: there is a strange problem that occurs randomly: the gw2 window gets the Linux bar (with date, time etc) on top of it. If i do anything regarding graphics, tabbing out or closing the game, the whole linux UI dies. Then i can only shut down the PC. If i then reboot, the OS wont boot until like 15 minutes after that. This graphic thing happens with any ingame graphic settings.
    if any of you could tell me what i can do in any of these steps, i would appreciate it. Anything helps, i am very unknowledgeable :)

• Torben.5628Torben.5628 Member ✭✭

@Berobad.4536 said:
    I've been probing around with the available cpu schedulers a bit and the difference of running around in Amnoon is quite big
    (12 Core Ryzen 3900X with Navi on 4K)

on both FSync and ESync:

Default CFS: 35-55 FPS
    Zen Patched CFS: 40-65 FPS
    PDS: 30-55 FPS

MuQSS and BMQ don't seem to like FSync
    | | |
    | -----------------:| ----------------- |
    | MuQSS ESync: | 30-45 FPS |
    | MuQSS FSync: | 15-35 FPS |
    | BMQ Esync: | 35-55 FPS |
    | BMQ Fsync: | 30-45 FPS |

But for BMQ limiting GW2 to 6 cores with taskset -c 0-5 does bring it to 40-60 FPS.

GPU was forced to high for this test (2GHz shader clock), but a short test againt auto (1.3 to 1.8 GHz shader clock) showed no difference in fps.
    cpufreq set to performance

So at least for an high core Ryzen with AMD GPU the -zen kernels with patched CFS scheduler seem to be the best choice for Guild Wars 2

Could you please add some more info? Like, is using this kernel from the arch repo and booting to it enough? https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/linux-zen/
    Or do you need to apply some sort of patch yourself to that in order to get the "Zen Patched CFS"?

thanks.

• Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020

With the news Windows 2020 May update it's now shipping with it's own Linux Kernel

"Meet the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2, and Terminal
    When Microsoft introduced the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) as part of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update in 2016, it was a shock to see Microsoft embrace Linux after opposing it for so many years. But the original Windows Subsystem for Linux was hobbled by the fact that it wasn’t running a real Linux kernel. Certain kernel modules, such as device drivers, were unable to run"

"With WSL2, Linux now runs on its own kernel, in what’s essentially a virtual machine. If you use Linux, you’ll also be able to place your Linux files within the Linux root file system, and access them via Windows File Explorer inside the Linux virtual hard disk. Consequently, performance is expected to improve, one of the key upgrades for WSL2 over WSL1."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3526472/windows-10-20h1-review-microsoft-boosts-linux-and-your-phone-but-cortana-slips-hard.html

@ArmoredVehicle.2849
    Does that mean i can essentially run GW2 in the virtual Linux System embedded within the Windows 2020 May update once i install a distro ?

• Does anyone know of any Linux alternative solutions for Yolomouse? I have trouble losing my cursor when there's a lot of effects on-screen.

• Knox.3748Knox.3748 Member ✭✭

Is this version using dx9 or 12 ? If its , is it possible to install the 12 mod and is there any benefits ?