Rox's Voice Change

Cyrin.1035

What did you think about Rox's new voice?

I liked Rox's voice before LW 4 Ep 2. The previous voice actress did a great job with Rox making her sound calm, intelligent, and comforting which made her stand out from the usual Charr, which is why I liked her the most. She was unique and interesting to me for that aspect.

The new voice actress did well, but her voice isn't soft or unique anymore. She sounds plain and bland. This upon many other things took me out of the story experience.

There was likely some disagreement or change of plans by the previous actress or Anet, but it would have been better if they chose a more similar voice instead of one that is completely different. Will be hard to get used to this one, but we'll see.

Oddly, it seems like the things you liked were the exact things I didn't.

The voice actress was never my main problem with Rox, though. It was the eyes. Too cutesy, which I found completely inappropriate for charr. Rox has always been my main example of why we need this:Paper-Bag_Helm_Skin_%28Angry%29.jpg

There's a particular moment in the story that crystallized my reaction to the change. Even though it's a trivial spoiler, I'm hiding it for those who haven't completed even the first instance of Episode 4.2.

! Braham Eirsson: Can't believe I'm doing this.! Player Character: It'll be fine. If there's trouble, I'll jerk your chain and say "heel".! Rox: (snorts)! Broham: Not funny.! * Rox: It's a little funny...

For me, the new VA doesn't sound like she thinks it's remotely funny. It doesn't sound like she's teasing Braham. And each time I've heard that part, I always end up trying to imagine it in the original VA's voice and I'm convinced she would have nailed it.

Regardless, there's no use in worrying about it: all the dialogue for LS4 has already been recorded, so it's the new VA we'll hear from now on. I just hope she got better direction for the latter stories. And I hope she gets a chance to do what Matthew Brenher got to do for Trahearne: come back and re-record lines to better match the dialogue.

• 1 year later...

@"Ben K.6238" said:Oddly, it seems like the things you liked were the exact things I didn't.

The voice actress was never my main problem with Rox, though. It was the eyes. Too cutesy, which I found completely inappropriate for charr. Rox has always been my main example of why we need this:Paper-Bag_Helm_Skin_%28Angry%29.jpg

I like Rox's eyes they make her look cute.

Archived