Gadgets just need a bit more work

The V.8759

When I think of an engineer in any RPG, i think of gadgets. I find it a shame that most of the gadgets just aren't very usable. With the change to gadgeteer, we're getting there, just not enough.I'm suggesting a few changes :

• All gadget toolbelt skills count as gadget skills (like elixirs)A very important change to buff them

Utility gogglesThe goggles underperform, simple as that. It's theme is precision, not being able to be blinded and fury. My suggestion is:

• Analyze keeps the revealed, vuln removed. New effect: you lock on to the target, increasing your ciritcal chance by 15% on that target for x time
  • Goggles: fury and blind immunity remain. New effect: gain 15% critical damage. Increased to 20 or 25% against an Analyzed target.
  • Gadgeteer increases both by 5%This enhances its usability. It gives it a stronger theme and good in single target situations.

MineJust lacks usability.

• Remove cast time!
  • Mine field goes on cooldown when cast, instead of bloeding em all up

Just some thoughs I'm sharing :)

i love gadgets ! so much that i play with my rocket-boots and slick shoes in rank :) , I do agree gadgets need a small buff/rework in some parts but NOT to much they have potential as it is for kitting purposes!

I do feel like they need should make the Tool trait-line surge better with gadgets overall to make them more useful and fun to play with.

example:

(how it is now)Slick Shoe - Blindness 5 second, cripples 4 second, Knocks 1 target down, Unblock-able

(how i'll like it to be)Slick Shoe 2.0 - Blindness 4 seconds, Cripples 2 second, Knocks 2 targets down, Slows 2 second, Unblock-able (Imo this would be a nice little buff to slick shoe to have them picked up by players as a gadget to use).

(how it is now)Rocket-boots - Perfect how it is overall (If anything Possibly add 1-2 second evade on rocket boots?)

Mine -Increase Boon Removal from 1 to 2, and Add vulnerability 5 stacks for 5 seconds, And Lower Overall Damage by 2%

These are some of the changes I'll like to see and added to some of the gadgets imo their more that should be looked into and slightly improved but i just listed the once i Use and know off the top of my head. These changes would only be added with the gadgeteer trait-line otherwise imo they'll be a bit to OP to use without lol.

Feedbacks/discussion im open to any if anyone disagree to any of my ideal changes.

I like the mine (not viable untraited, could remove multiple boons though to add more identity), rocket boots and slick shoes (the skill is little underwhelming but the toolbelt skill is best one there is) as they are.

Utility goggles are mostly in need of rework yes, I feel like small buff like giving like 3 stacks of stability for 5 seconds would be enough. The toolbelt is already decent, just the skill itself isnt good enough to be run... or 15% critical damage as you said.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Samug.6512 said:I'd like to see Rocket Boots' tool belt reworked, or at least remove the weird movement.

Rocket Boots' toolbelt doesn't match the utility skill. It's really wonky for some reason. I'd like to see it how the old rocket boots functioned -- sending you flying backwards.

I think you are confusing your subjective opinion for that of actual objective fact here. In this case, I certainly do not agree with your opinion. In my opinion, rocket kick is very thematically in line with rocket boots as well as being a beneficial AoE burn that fit nicely with the P/P and P/S condition damage aspect of the core engineer.

Rocket kick is a pretty aggressive and risky move. To get the most use out of Rocket Kick you must use a condi build and camp within 300 range long enough to find an opening, it's not perfectly in line with the defensive positioning that you take using a condi build especially when you're always blasting away with Rocket Boots.

As far as personal taste goes, why would anyone miss Rocket Boots blowing yourself backwards in a CC? How is that any more complementary to Rocket Kick

@coglin.1496 said:

@"Samug.6512" said:I'd like to see Rocket Boots' tool belt reworked, or at least remove the weird movement.

Rocket Boots' toolbelt doesn't match the utility skill. It's really wonky for some reason. I'd like to see it how the old rocket boots functioned -- sending you flying backwards.

I think you are confusing your subjective opinion for that of actual objective fact here. In this case, I certainly do not agree with your opinion. In my opinion, rocket kick is very thematically in line with rocket boots as well as being a beneficial AoE burn that fit nicely with the P/P and P/S condition damage aspect of the core engineer.

Please don't throw "subjective" and "objective" around so casually, as you seem wont to do.

I mean that it doesn't match in that Rocket Boots is a movement-oriented utility skill, but its toolbelt is a damage-oriented, no movement skill. If you look at a similar gadget, Slick shoes, it has a very clear theme to both its utility skill and toolbelt skill: The utility stops people trying to catch you, and the toolbelt lets you move away quickly. The reason why I think Rocket boots toolbelt should be changed is to make it more cohesive as a movement utility.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@"Samug.6512" said:I'd like to see Rocket Boots' tool belt reworked, or at least remove the weird movement.

Please don't throw "subjective" and "objective" around so casually, as you seem wont to do.

I do not believe "casual" in this instance, means what you seem to think it means. You made a statement with nothing to suggest it was your opinion. If you dislike being called on it, then do not do it.

I mean that it doesn't match in that Rocket Boots is a movement-oriented utility skill, but its toolbelt is a damage-oriented, no movement skill. If you look at a similar gadget, Slick shoes, it has a very clear theme to both its utility skill and toolbelt skill: The utility stops people trying to catch you, and the toolbelt lets you move away quickly. The reason why I think Rocket boots toolbelt should be changed is to make it more cohesive as a movement utility.

At what point did relative functionality become the rule that defines the relationship between tool belt skills and their actual utility skill? That is an assumption you made. I am of the opinion that it is based on the thematic outlook of the designers.

For example, I Have no idea how you came to the conclusion you did in slick shoes. In my opinion, there is no reasonable connection in the functionality of spreading oil on the ground with breaking a stun or making one move faster. Yet you used the term "clear theme" when it is only clear to you. Again declaring your own subjective opinion as if it were fact.

I'd like to see it how the old rocket boots functioned -- sending you flying backwards.

No, just no. If I want a tool belt stun break and a launch backward, I will use EG in which the stun break does a small AoE heal regen and the leap does damage as well. There is a reason it was almost unanimously lobbied by the entire community to have the old rocket boot functionality removed.

@Threather.9354 said:I like the mine (not viable untraited, could remove multiple boons though to add more identity), rocket boots and slick shoes (the skill is little underwhelming but the toolbelt skill is best one there is) as they are.

Utility goggles are mostly in need of rework yes, I feel like small buff like giving like 3 stacks of stability for 5 seconds would be enough. The toolbelt is already decent, just the skill itself isnt good enough to be run... or 15% critical damage as you said.

I really like mine aswell, but the casting time Just doesnt make it worth it for me to drop it :(. Thats why I proposed small changes.And yeah, utility goggles could really use some help. Right now it's beyond useless. I disaggree with the toolbelt being nice. Vulnerability is flying around so much that it is simply not worth it. And I'm not taking 1 skill just for revealed

@The V.8759 said:disaggree with the toolbelt being nice. Vulnerability is flying around so much that it is simply not worth it. And I'm not taking 1 skill just for revealed

It is decent for a toolbelt skill. Compare it to effects like Healing turret or Spectrum shield Toolbelt skills. Even rocket boots. It is just strong skill because it is reveal from 1200 range (similar to stealth gyro toolbelt skill) on a short cooldown making it good in 1v1s, GvGs etc. The vuln just makes it usable against other classes than mesmer, ranger, thief and engi which it is pretty strong against.. Vuln is pretty good against necros and wars.. that usually have to already cleanse the vuln from corona burst.

The thing is, the issue is that the main skill is so bad that the toolbelt skill seems bad also. But 10% extra damage for a burst is nothing to scoff at, 10 vuln is worth like 300 power or condi damage. Also it is instant cast so it isnt situational like lot of toolbelt skills as it increases your dps while not making your rotations compensate for it.

Also 10 stacks of vuln in PvE is pretty much, its not like support druid, banner bot, boonshare chrono stack vuln, imagine increasing DPS of all allies for 12 secs with full viper for 10% every 25 sec. Thats practically 25% 1-person dps boost

Archived