Thief solo roaming build?

whoknocks.4935

Hey guys, I wanna start playing thief as a solo roamer profession in wvw.

I have full marauder armor and weapons, and i have the pvp trinkets and legendary back to switch stats as I want.

What is the best build to run for solo roaming 1vs1 and once mastered have a chance to survive well in 1vs2?

Core thief?Daredevil?Deadeye?

If you have some good build please link to gw2skills.net and comment some tips how to improve or some youtube videos I can watch to learn.

Thanks everyone?

do you mainly aim to look for fighting other players or taking objectives while killing anyone keeping you from doing so?daredevil and core thief are better if you are interested in improving you mechanical skill and got a better reputation.deadeye is more strategic when played stealth heavy and IMO is better for objective based roaming, when you want to capture stuff - because you can infiltrate towers and keeps and flip them when all the scouts left / are dead. but deadeye has a bad reputation and doesnt require mechanical skill , more knowledge on player types. you kinda have to read your opponent a bit to land your oneshots if they are above average, but mechanically its not demanding.

I would recommend daredevil over deadeye based solely on the fact that to me, deadeye in WvW isn't exciting. They can take 1vX situations, but are just going to be sitting in stealth and waiting for their malice to stack so they can hit someone with Death's Judgement. If you try throwing in some three round bursts or other skills, it's really easy to get focused and you'll end up blowing your utilities quickly. So if you don't stay in stealth, you'll either have to fight with skills on cooldown or disengage.

that is true in a 1 vs X against good players, but they will aswell blow up your daredevil. bad players however you can go in and out of stealth - CB is really strong, dont waste too much ini on TRB tho that can kill you. maybe as you are more experienced with daredevil you may feel more confident. but IMO its easier to land DJs if you dont permanently stay in stealth, tho depending on what you face you got no other option.

@MUDse.7623 said:do you mainly aim to look for fighting other players or taking objectives while killing anyone keeping you from doing so?daredevil and core thief are better if you are interested in improving you mechanical skill and got a better reputation.deadeye is more strategic when played stealth heavy and IMO is better for objective based roaming, when you want to capture stuff - because you can infiltrate towers and keeps and flip them when all the scouts left / are dead. but deadeye has a bad reputation and doesnt require mechanical skill , more knowledge on player types. you kinda have to read your opponent a bit to land your oneshots if they are above average, but mechanically its not demanding.

Thanks for the feedback.

I mainly aim to roam around and fighting random people ii find on the road.

For example I am going to flip a camp, I see a necro walking alone, I engage him and fight him and hopefully kill him xD

Not aiming for duels at duel zone, just random fights with whoever I find roaming alone as well.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:do you mainly aim to look for fighting other players or taking objectives while killing anyone keeping you from doing so?daredevil and core thief are better if you are interested in improving you mechanical skill and got a better reputation.deadeye is more strategic when played stealth heavy and IMO is better for objective based roaming, when you want to capture stuff - because you can infiltrate towers and keeps and flip them when all the scouts left / are dead. but deadeye has a bad reputation and doesnt require mechanical skill , more knowledge on player types. you kinda have to read your opponent a bit to land your oneshots if they are above average, but mechanically its not demanding.

Thanks for the feedback.

I mainly aim to roam around and fighting random people ii find on the road.

For example I am going to flip a camp, I see a necro walking alone, I engage him and fight him and hopefully kill him xD

Not aiming for duels at duel zone, just random fights with whoever I find roaming alone as well.

in that case i probably cant give you an optimal build for your needs, as i roam different for far too long and therefor my build is not the best i think for what you want.because you said you hopefully kill the nekro, therefor you want the nekro to try to fight back, i only want my opponents to try attacking me if i think i can kill them in their attempt to attack me.you probably want a daredevil, core or visible DE build.

IMO you wont find many solo roamers and those people you find solo are often on their way to their zerg/group or quickly doing daily, maybe flippin a camp or two to upgrade a tower or keep, but they often are not really experienced/good in fighting small scale.

@Warkind.6745 said:I would recommend daredevil over deadeye based solely on the fact that to me, deadeye in WvW isn't exciting. They can take 1vX situations, but are just going to be sitting in stealth and waiting for their malice to stack so they can hit someone with Death's Judgement. If you try throwing in some three round bursts or other skills, it's really easy to get focused and you'll end up blowing your utilities quickly. So if you don't stay in stealth, you'll either have to fight with skills on cooldown or disengage.

Does nobody else here play DA/TR/DE kite-DeadEye with marauder/zerk/valk? Stealth is not the only option for DE and certainly isn't the most fun IMO.

@Turk.5460 said:

@Warkind.6745 said:I would recommend daredevil over deadeye based solely on the fact that to me, deadeye in WvW isn't exciting. They can take 1vX situations, but are just going to be sitting in stealth and waiting for their malice to stack so they can hit someone with Death's Judgement. If you try throwing in some three round bursts or other skills, it's really easy to get focused and you'll end up blowing your utilities quickly. So if you don't stay in stealth, you'll either have to fight with skills on cooldown or disengage.

Does nobody else here play DA/TR/DE kite-DeadEye with marauder/zerk/valk? Stealth is not the only option for DE and certainly isn't the most fun IMO.

if you want to play stealth heavy then deadeye is the best.if you want to kite, then you got way more options and IMO druid is superior in that playstyle. sure if you like to play deadeye like that you can and if your good you will still kill most opponents as they are not good, i dont want to play a kite deadeye as long as mark has a cast time tho.

@Turk.5460 said:

I play DA/TR/DE with mostly marauder, some zerk, and valk but I still play Silent Scope and Meld quite a bit still even though I think I might use Deaths Retreat more than walking now. I have a pretty generic build that's not really built for anything I guess so I'm not going out there thinking about playing stealth, or evade, or whatever although I do sometimes think about messing around with SA again once in awhile.

@MUDse.7623 said:

if you want to play stealth heavy then deadeye is the best.if you want to kite, then you got way more options and IMO druid is superior in that playstyle. sure if you like to play deadeye like that you can and if your good you will still kill most opponents as they are not good, i dont want to play a kite deadeye as long as mark has a cast time tho.

I kill most opponents that are good. Even D/P Thieves that supposedly hard-counter DE. The only thing I regularly have trouble with from good players are Dire/TB Condi-Mesmers who also trait reflect on evade - how insecure can those players be, seriously...

Mark's cast time is not really a drawback, provided you are skilled enough to time it right - that comes with experience and practice, and I have played this build almost exclusively since PoF dropped. Kiting Druids can't output nearly the same damage as DE, though, and if they can then that means I can burst them down quite easily.

@Turk.5460 said:

I kill most opponents that
are
good. Even D/P Thieves that supposedly hard-counter DE. The only thing I regularly have trouble with from good players are Dire/TB Condi-Mesmers who
also
trait reflect on evade - how insecure can those players be, seriously...

Mark's cast time is not really a drawback, provided you are skilled enough to time it right - that comes with experience and practice, and I have played this build almost exclusively since PoF dropped. Kiting Druids can't output nearly the same damage as DE, though, and if they
can
then that means I can burst them down quite easily.

well probably shouldn't have said 'good' and 'bad' players as that is pretty subjective. if you kill players using a build that you think hard counters yours, then they are not even close to your skill level, so not sure you should consider them as good players. above average ? well you already get there if you sometimes hit the dodge key and can follow a CC with a burst skill.

1/2s cast time to actually interrupt an opponent means many skills can only be interrupted if you predict them and mark cannot be used while under CC effect, steal can. just putting the mark on an opponent is easy, but for interrupts steal is a lot better.

yup DE does more damage then druid usually but druids sustain is better. killing opponents that tank alot of damage is often not an issue in terms of difficulty, as they in return rarely got a high burst.

but when you face a good d/p thief (and this inculdes understanding of DE mechanics when facing one and therefor the ability to play against it , only because you can farm warriors and nekros you are not automatically a good thief in a matchup against a deadeye), a good mesmer , FA ele or as ranger. they should be able to kill you in most of the encounters. because those got high burst that is either ranged or can be combined with instant gapclosers, therefor you will have a hard time kiting them while they survive with other defenses like invuln/reflect or in case of d/p thief with interrupts/blinds. against those opponents i do think a druid is better as they aswell got physical invuln and sometimes projectile hate.

but well that was not really the point i was trying to make.if you do not play stealth heavy and you see 7 people coming towards you, unless you explicitly know they are total scrubs, you better go out of their way instead of fighting them. now if you instead do play stealth heavy you can pick the weakest one, because most groups you encounter while solo roaming are not really organized or just communicate poorly. so they often need a long time to react to an ally that is under pressure, especially if you attack the one moving behind as it is not in the field of view of the ones ahead. in the case of a oneshotting deadeye their help is often too late at this point. as daredevil go in and out of stealth while always attacking the same target again while not letting it go out of combat and optimally stomp them with elite without putting them into downed state. every time you go into stealth you interrupt their skill spam or bind it to a fixed location. while trying to kite 7 people visibly, the just wont stop to spamm. while the deadeye version is safer you require your targets to be far enough away from each other or not res ( and sadly they mostly stack after 1-2 kills), with the daredevil one you dont have that issue as you skip their downstate.thats why i think playing DE on stealth is more a DE unique playstyle as there are not many alternatives that offer the option to fight the same way. while with a kiting build you could pick just any other roaming build and fight the same encounters, same result. sure with a little different skills used but with stealth you can do more than that.if you are inside an enemy keep or enemy SMC, you dont have to look for opponents anymore and they will return if you kill them, while if i kill people on open field or in a camp they often leave the map. and to remain in the structure safely and to give you opponents a brief time to spread again after they rallied at your last stomp location, you need stealth. you can infiltrate bases, just carry along a mesmer friend and you can ressurect them over and over, either binding tons of people or porting your blob in to flip it. so far havent seen a server doing to right thing on purpose to prevent me from ressurecting, sometimes i still died as i only had my berserk armor with me. but now i have a special res armor in my back, that i put on in such a situation. in that armor i havent died yet (if no one care you can aswell flip the stuff solo). i also can recommend taking shadow gust and kicking people off SMC upper cannons / mortar / ac out of perma stealth, very rarely one opens their glider usually they die :D.

tldr; stealth simply offers more options for roaming then playing without stealth, anything you can do playing without stealth on your deadeye you can aswell do with any other roaming build.

@MUDse.7623 said:...now if you instead do play stealth heavy you can pick the weakest one, because most groups you encounter while solo roaming are not really organized or just communicate poorly. so they often need a long time to react to an ally that is under pressure, especially if you attack the one moving behind as it is not in the field of view of the ones ahead. in the case of a oneshotting deadeye their help is often too late at this point.

Not anymore! @_@

@Turk.5460 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:...now if you instead do play stealth heavy you can pick the weakest one, because most groups you encounter while solo roaming are not really organized or just communicate poorly. so they often need a long time to react to an ally that is under pressure, especially if you attack the one moving behind as it is not in the field of view of the ones ahead. in the case of a oneshotting deadeye their help is often too late at this point.

Not anymore! @_@

we will see, first let the patch come :Di just dont understand what they want the deadeye to become, spamm ini skills that cost alot to gain malice to then have no resources to go into stealth to spent them? consuming malice on stealth skills is because they see deadeye as leaning towards stealth play, but we need to keep attacking now. for me it looks like they want a more in and out of stealth style but that is not supported by SA, as those traits are for remaining in stealth mostly. so i am a bit confused as to what we will get but the post didnt really give many traits / skills, so got to wait.i am curious tho how big the modifier for backstabs will be, i mean if deaths judgement is a stealth skill and keeps its 15% per malice, they said something about DPS increase .. maybe we will see more d/p deadeyes after. .i ll just go back to daredevil for stealth play if that is no longer possible in reasonable way as deadeye.

Archived