Path of Fire what has disappointed me.

First of all, please don't misunderstand me, I think that Path of Fire did a lot of great things and the story quality is the best I have seen in GW2 by far. However, my biggest gripes with it is the implementation of "Heart Quests." Now, I know that there are 2 camps of players in GW2, there are those who like "HeartQuests" because it gives them something to do or it feels familiar to their traditional MMOs from collecting and clicking on items to finish the Quest. Personally, I find myself on the opposite camp, I hate "Heart Quests." Please allow me to make my case here's to you. GW2 set out to change the MMO genre and it did do that in many ways, but what it failed at is adding more depth to Questing in the open world. Games like the Watcher 3 or skyrim are not MMOs, but they're still an RPG and if you look at what makes them great, it's the side Quests that make the world more interesting by using the Quests in ways that are connected to the main story or stories that has value in the Lore. GW2 does that at some level, but not enough of it. For example, in Hellion Forest there is an event where you defeat Bria to rescue the captured cubs, now there isn't more going on in that event, but the dialog between the NPCs and the spirits of the charrs around the area makes it intriguing. You want to know more about this Bria person and a little more interested in the whole ghost of Ascalon story. There are also the events in HoT with Lord Faren who is from the human personal story, essentially a character who is from your personal story making an appearance in the open world as a chain of events surrounded by an interesting/funny dialogs. At the end of the day it seems like Arenate isn't sure on how to implement it's Quests stories in the open world as you can see in HoT there wasn't a single "Heart Quest," I think Hot as a whole was quite chaotic from its events to the maps being somewhat confusing to navigate, but hey it was a war zone so it does make sense. Thus, it seems like Arenate has returned back to Heart Quests and this time they're also infinitely repeatable, which make it hard to have a map completed when you have only finished 3 Hearts for the day and want finish the rest later, it's also a bothersome to see them on your map unfinished. Lastly, I don't think Arenanet should implement this kind of questing in the future or if they're going to do it, make some changes like have the Hearts being permanently finished similar to the Core maps with an added option to repeat them for those who want it. More preferably, to solve this questing problem I would suggest the "Heart Quests" have an option to trigger a chain events manually and this event would have an interesting story connected to the current situation of the expansion, this chain of event would also be enough to finish the Heart.

@"blade eyes.2034" said:First of all, please don't misunderstand me, I think that Path of Fire did a lot of great things and the story quality is the best I have seen in GW2 by far. However, my biggest gripes with it is the implementation of "Heart Quests." Now, I know that there are 2 camps of players in GW2, there are those who like "HeartQuests" because it gives them something to do or it feels familiar to their traditional MMOs from collecting and clicking on items to finish the Quest. Personally, I find myself on the opposite camp, I hate "Heart Quests." Please allow me to make my case here's to you. GW2 set out to change the MMO genre and it did do that in many ways, but what it failed at is adding more depth to Questing in the open world. Games like the Watcher 3 or skyrim are not MMOs, but they're still an RPG and if you look at what makes them great, it's the side Quests that make the world more interesting by using the Quests in ways that are connected to the main story or stories that has value in the Lore. GW2 does that at some level, but not enough of it. For example, in Hellion Forest there is an event where you defeat Bria to rescue the captured cubs, now there isn't more going on in that event, but the dialog between the NPCs and the spirits of the charrs around the area makes it intriguing. You want to know more about this Bria person and a little more interested in the whole ghost of Ascalon story. There are also the events in HoT with Lord Faren who is from the human personal story, essentially a character who is from your personal story making an appearance in the open world as a chain of events surrounded by an interesting/funny dialogs. At the end of the day it seems like Arenate isn't sure on how to implement it's Quests stories in the open world as you can see in HoT there wasn't a single "Heart Quest," I think Hot as a whole was quite chaotic from its events to the maps being somewhat confusing to navigate, but hey it was a war zone so it does make sense. Thus, it seems like Arenate has returned back to Heart Quests and this time they're also infinitely repeatable, which make it hard to have a map completed when you have only finished 3 Hearts for the day and want finish the rest later, it's also a bothersome to see them on your map unfinished. Lastly, I don't think Arenanet should implement this kind of questing in the future or if they're going to do it, make some changes like have the Hearts being permanently finished similar to the Core maps with an added option to repeat them for those who want it. More preferably, to solve this questing problem I would suggest the "Heart Quests" have an option to trigger a chain events manually and this event would have an interesting story connected to the current situation of the expansion, this chain of event would also be enough to finish the Heart.

We had living story with hearts. I remember the druid backpack, oh boy. It isnt too bad with PoF, just a bit of grinding. You learn how to do all of them really quickly, after a point.

everybody ( and thats not true ) hates questing in MMOs. GW2 has an unique and interesting system. But it lacks of story and lore.Somehow i love and hate quest in other MMOS. First time great. second time ok and then i hate them. GW2 is much better when playing the same stuff over and over again.

First of all, yes the new living story introduced "Heart Quests" back again into the end game, but it wasn't there in HoT. Moreover, thank you Dante.1763 I didn't know that about the infinity symbol FYI, but it's still annoying nonetheless to have it uncompleted on your map, and the fact that you have to repeat it again anyway unlike the Hearts in the core game. In addition, Stalkingwolf.6035 that's how I feel about Heart Quests, they're alright for the first time. Lastly, the problem is the content itself is not fun it is quite tedious and boring after you do it for the first time. Even though Heart Of Thorns events were quite chaotic, it was still much more fun than doing the Heart Quests. I guess what it comes down to is that in future expansions I would rather not have "Heart Quests" in them similar to HoT maps, and have the developers focus on improving their Dynamic event system.

Archived