Chat Macros for slow typers and hearing impaired

So I was going over the policy on Macros after a interesting question came up. Since "This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions." but we know from official sources "Edited 09-12-2016: We wanted to make it clear that music macros, when properly used, are fully acceptable, so this thread post has been expanded to include that content. "So would a Macro just for Map/Squad chat be ok ? Some examples I can think of are :"Stack Here""Buff ""On Tag, on Tag""Waters on me"

Anet can't detect a hotkey you make for chat, as far as I know. They're not going to condone anything that is officially against their ToS but I really doubt they'd go after anyone for this.

It's not cheating by anyone's standards. Anet detects cheaters through identifying well known hack programs running on the PC and maybe suspicious logs server side. I don't think they can tell you're using a macro bound to a hotkey to shorten typing anything out.

I think the macro rules apply to skills and actions that require more than one key stroke or mouse click. I don't think they apply for chat messages. As stated above, you could run into spam issues.

Edit: I have seen them used before in WvW because the commander didn't speak English very well.

Archived