Changed from Order of Whispers to Priory after the level 40 mission, "Setting the Stage"

Hello,My spouse and I just got back into this game after a very, very long break and had decided to create a couple brand new characters, leveling them from scratch. Neither of us had ever completed the story before and I believe the highest level between us was 62. We took turns going on each others story missions so that we could see how they played out, as well as help where we could. Come the end of the level 30 story mission, my spouse opted to go with the Priory while I went with Order of Whispers.

Fast forward to the level 40 mission, "Setting the Stage." The quest appears identical for us both, so I join my spouse for the mission. At the end of it all, the game asks if I want credit for it as well. Since it was strictly dialog and it appeared there was nothing to gain by repeating it for myself, I answered yes. The result of that not only completed my mission, but it also changed my allegiance to the Priory.

I had put in a ticket a few days back, however received no response. I have no interest in pursuing Priory activities on this character and would very much like to get back to where it belongs. Has anyone else experienced this bug, and if so is there any reversing it?

@"sygault.9381" said:I had put in a ticket a few days back, however received no response. I have no interest in pursuing Priory activities on this character and would very much like to get back to where it belongs. Has anyone else experienced this bug, and if so is there any reversing it?

The ticket queue is backlogged at the moment, and the current wisdom is:

• Don't submit other tickets for the same issue. That increases the backlog and doesn't help you.
  • Do wait a couple of weeks before becoming stressed about it, since that's the typical delay at the moment.

My best guess is that accepting credit is what did it. Setting the Stage is an anomaly in the Personal Story - it is the same for everyone, except that it isn't the same for everyone, in that it gives you a "next" mission that is determined by a choice you make in the previous mission. If you do it by yourself, it gives you the next mission for the Order you selected previously. Of course, what happened is that it gave you everything that your wife got as rewards, including access to the same mission she got access to, rather than the one you would have gotten if you had done it by yourself.

It changes your story to the priory path. It doesn't change the character's association.

It is also done by design so that people who started doing the story together can continue progressing together rather than forcing them to split. Therefore it is unlikely there is anything support can do about it.

So funny development. You are correct in that after the end of that one story arch, the next brought me back to the Order of Whispers. My next mission was to go and meet the Ogres with my Order contact. Upon entering the instance, not only was my Order contact, Leftpaw there, but as was the Sylvari Priory contact from the previous missions, Sieran. They were standing on top of each other, both with the quest starburst above their heads.

If I talk to Leftpaw, I get the dialog with him, however with any of the automatic cutscenes it remained with Sieran. Continuing on, this repeated until the Battle of Claw Island, where once again it was all Priory. Leftpaw stayed on the dock while Sieran accompanied me throughout the mission. The end of the mission involved the head of the Priory, and the next mission is clearly Priory as well.

This is definitely not right, so for the time being I will keep the ticket open and update it accordingly. I know I have no chance of seeing the Order of Whispers story on this character any longer, and that's ok, but the result is most certainly a bug.

• 2 years later...

This is still an issue.The very least Anet could do is put a different disclaimer saying "Accepting this progress on this mission (which is the same exact mission for all three orders) will change all of your chapter 4 and 6 content, because we will force you to play the remainder of the orders arc for the order of the instance owner, and not the one you picked even though there are no choices in this specific instance"Who thought it was a good idea to bind a choice, that should have been set in stone the prior mission, to an instance in which there is no choices or anything even mentioning an order?

It doesn't bind Chapters 4 and 6, or whatever. You stay on the same path as the instance owner, if you accept, and change back to the previous path as soon as the arc is over (as long as you don't accept the final instance other-owner's progress).

The reason it works this way is so friends/players can play together; otherwise they would not be able to, and make any progress, at all.