Should there be new dungeons?

So, everyone knows dungeons right now are in a less-than-ideal state, but I can accept that the ship has sailed and it's probably more work than it's worth to fix the existing ones up. However, I'm not entirely convinced the whole dungeon concept needs to be abandoned. If the old ones are too clunky to fix, why couldn't there be new ones?

The last couple of living world chapters have added new dungeon-like areas as part of story instances. Could Fahranur, Gandara, and the highlands inquest lab be repurposed as proper dungeons? It would be a shame to let those maps languish as story instances most people probably do once and never come back to. Just let the LS chapter be the "story mode" and add a few explorable paths for each. I suppose it might be awkward, gating dungeons behind specific LW episodes, but there are other places around PoF where dungeons could be added. Just plundering GW1 for ideas, the Dynastic Tombs, the hidden city of Ahdashim, or even the Hall of Heroes (which supposedly already has a partial map) could be used as dungeons. Then again, if you go that route, you lose the advantage of already having a partial map to start from.

Of course, I'm sure there are reasons why we never got any dungeons after LS1. It's likely that a 3-path dungeon with all it's accoutrements (full weapon set, armor of every weight, new sigils and runes) is more work to implement than an entire raid wing, and certainly more work than a fractal. I wouldn't bet money on them returning to dungeons after all this time, but it's nice to dream.

What do people think? Would there be any interest in brand-new dungeons? Or do new raids and fractals scratch the "instanced group content" itch well enough?

What's actually wrong with the existing dungeons?

As far as I know the main reason people stopped doing them as much is because they were no longer the best way to make gold and with the introduction of precursor crafting the price of precursors dropped and it wasn't worth farming dungeon tokens to buy exotic weapons to throw into the forge. I admit I don't do dungeons often but whenever I have they work as well as they always did, and all the content and rewards are still there.

Archived